Seats?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

refit1701
1SG
1SG

Seats?

Post by refit1701 »

I have the fibreglas bucket for the driver's seat and the seat back, but no bottom and nothing for the passenger side. Is there somewhere to find these or will I have to make them?
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Fiberglass seat back?

Post by Nickathome »

Most M37's have a spring frame covered with canvas for the drivers seat back. I never heard of a fiberglass unit. I'd like to see it. Do you have any pictures?
Mac
PVT
PVT

Post by Mac »

I agree with nick, mine is metal
1951 M37 w\w
Marcus in NC
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

http://apollosaturn.smugmug.com/gallery ... #213759116

Now, the previous owner told me it was a seatback from the M37. It could be something else. So if it turns out to be a bucket from a '67 Beetle......

:shock:
Mac
PVT
PVT

Post by Mac »

That looks right to me, but is it really fiberglass?
1951 M37 w\w
Marcus in NC
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

I could be metal, I have not examined it in detail. It just looked like fiberglass.

I'll check it after work.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

It looks like the standard steel bucket to me.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
N1VSM
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Seats?

Post by N1VSM »

refit1701 wrote:I have the fibreglas bucket for the driver's seat and the seat back, but no bottom and nothing for the passenger side. Is there somewhere to find these or will I have to make them?
I have some sketches of the seat bottom. I made mine out of 1/2" or 3/4 in plywood (I'll measure & get back to you). Once I find my drawings, I can scan them & try to post them. Be patient, though. We moved recently and EVERYTHING is in a sea of cardboard boxes in my basement right now - at least the important stuff ;)
You can trust your mother, but you can't trust your ground.
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

That'd be great. I feel your pain on the moving as we just did and most of my stuff is still in another state.

N1VSM wrote:
refit1701 wrote:I have the fibreglas bucket for the driver's seat and the seat back, but no bottom and nothing for the passenger side. Is there somewhere to find these or will I have to make them?
I have some sketches of the seat bottom. I made mine out of 1/2" or 3/4 in plywood (I'll measure & get back to you). Once I find my drawings, I can scan them & try to post them. Be patient, though. We moved recently and EVERYTHING is in a sea of cardboard boxes in my basement right now - at least the important stuff ;)
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Seat bucket.

Post by Nickathome »

Yes, that is the correct seat bucket for the driver's side. I thought you were referring to the actual seat back cushion. The seat back pivots on hinges forward to access the storage area underneath. Mine was pretty rotted and I had to (because I didn't have a welder at the time) have some 16 gauge welded back in to enable a spot for the seat bottom to bolt onto. Again, yours looks to be the correct bucket, although it apppears that your hinges are missing.

BTW - I have my original wood bottom for the passenger side seat. It was too far gone to refurbish so I used it as a template to cut one out of 3/4" ply. I can make a sketch for you if need be.
N1VSM
SSGT
SSGT

Post by N1VSM »

[quote="refit1701"]That'd be great. I feel your pain on the moving as we just did and most of my stuff is still in another state.

refit1701 - shoot me an email (click the profile button below this post), I found the documents and pictures. :D They're WAY too big to post here.

Hey Cabell - feel like hosting?
You can trust your mother, but you can't trust your ground.