Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

How Good is the Repop Tailgate from VPW

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

Just wondering.....anybody compare the reproduction tailgate from VintagePowerWagons to a real tailgate? I've seen some pics, but nothing up close. It's pricey, but metal working a rusty and dented tailgate can get expensive fast, so I'm just wondering about the VPW option and if it's identical.

thanks,
bob
EMD567
PVT
PVT

Re: How Good is the Repop Tailgate from VPW

Post by EMD567 »

I don't know how good the repop tailgates are, but if they are even close to the real thing, they must be flimsy. I flex the hell out of my buddys tailgate when I step or sit on the middle of the gate, so I have to use the sides near the chains.

When I replace mine, I plan the make it out of 3/16" sheet steel, with the angles and square tubing welded on. I will remake the hinge pipe, and then have D O D G E cut out of nickel steel, and bolted to the back of the tailgate.

The stock tailgate that came with the truck is twisted and bent- no way to even get it close to being straight.
John, in Aiken SC, Where trains run down the center of the parkway
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Re: How Good is the Repop Tailgate from VPW

Post by powerwagontim »

Talk about twisted and bent tailgates, and I really wish I had taken a picture of it. I had a basically rust free gate, that was completely mangled. Bent in every direction. It was probably bowed out 8 or 10 inches, and twisted, I dont know what happened to it to get this way, but something pretty evil! I wanted a nice gate on the truck, so wasnt really considering it as a viable option. After several deals to buy nice gates fell through, I figured I would get this one usable and keep my eyes out for a nicer one. I took it to a friends metal fabrication shop who has a big hydraulic press. He and I spent about 45 minutes pressing it out, using various blocks and spacers to press where he wanted. The thing came out PERFECT. I painted it up and was completely satisfied with it and my search for a tailgate ended right then and there.
So, dont write off those dent up gates.
Tim
Happiness is enjoying what you already have!