Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Best Tail Lights for M37

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

Ok, so the discussion I started about combat rims, which drifted into lighting, got a little "testy" for lack of a better word, but it was a good discussion. What I took away from that was that while "technically" it might be legal to drive around with the marker and tail lights that came on the M37 originally.....it's just NOT a smart idea. So with that in mind, I'd like to ask opinions of what the best options are for "better" tail lights. By "better" I mean still military in nature, but obviously safer and easier to see by other motorists. I'd also like the housings to be metal, not plastic. I'm not that familiar with all the nominclature of the different military vehicles and trailers, so bear with me.

I did a little looking on eBay and from a first glance it looks to me like the tail lights off a M101A2 seem to fit the bill pretty good. I'm not sure if they came in cast aluminum or metal, and I'd have to change to Douglas connectors and work out the wiring harness mods, but that being said.....do you think these are the best of the "better" solutions for M37 tail lights?

thanks,
bob

M101a2 by w30bob, on Flickr
achiem37
PFC
PFC

Re: Best Tail Lights for M37

Post by achiem37 »

I use the similar lights for my WC63 and had them on my M37 as well. In todays rushing crazy driver world I want rear lights that are easily seen by all from behind. The housings look very similar to mine except the ones I got were a composite material and have all the same mounting hardware and wiring pigtails. I aslo used LED superbright lights inside the housings in the red colour to make them really bright for daytime visibility seeing they are under the trucks bed a ways. They are not a perfect repro light for my WC but it makes driving it a whole lot safer. Terry
milstencil
CPL
CPL

Post by milstencil »

I use LED tail lights and am replacing the front lights with LEDs.
Really bright at night and you can't miss the turn signal.
Rick
Resident of the Communist state of Massachusetts, home of failed
health care and failed gun control! See what the Democrats can do
when they control both houses.
http://www.militarystencils.com
DAP
SSGT
SSGT

Post by DAP »

If you search on epay you can find round lens for the original lights that are full lens and not the slit type window. I use these on my truck to give more visual appearance of the light. I think they are just as good as the tear drop lens.
All in Air Force blue and black trim
1962 M37B1
rectangular window hardtop, converted to Hercules 4 cyl diesel-intercooled & turbo charged, 12V, disc brakes
1962 M116A1 Generator trailer
1962 M116A1 Pioneer tool trailer
1964 M101A1 3/4 ton trailer
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

DAP wrote:If you search on epay you can find round lens for the original lights that are full lens and not the slit type window. I use these on my truck to give more visual appearance of the light. I think they are just as good as the tear drop lens.
I used these and rewired the lights. I did away with the blackout function and wired that socket to a brake/turn signal. I think the red lenses were from a Gamma Goat.
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

Jethro is correct, the full red lenses are Gamma Goat lenses. I am running them and they are fine. They look right, and give plenty of light.
Tim
Happiness is enjoying what you already have!
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Thanks for the replies guys. Is this what you are calling the Gamma Goat tail light?

bob

gammagoat by w30bob, on Flickr
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Yep-gamma goat, and I run a pair on my M37-feels safer somehow....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
DAP
SSGT
SSGT

Post by DAP »

Yes that is what I am running. Alternatively if you have a lathe you can machine out the center of your light and expoy in a round lens you can buy from NAPA. I have done that also. You have to snap the light housing tabs off and use shorter bulbs though.
All in Air Force blue and black trim
1962 M37B1
rectangular window hardtop, converted to Hercules 4 cyl diesel-intercooled & turbo charged, 12V, disc brakes
1962 M116A1 Generator trailer
1962 M116A1 Pioneer tool trailer
1964 M101A1 3/4 ton trailer
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

The composit light that you first posted Bob is a good light. I've have had them on every MV and trailer I've owned since I was in an MV accident in Dec. 1986. Then I had the stock tail lights the "Cats eyes" and I made a left turn at night and they guy didn't see the tail lights and he slammed into my rear wheel well as I was making a turn in a M151. Rolled me on my side and messed up the jeep real good. I wasn't hurt and I know I had my guardian angel riding with me that night. After that night all my MVs and I've owned many have had the Composit lights on them and I've not had any issues. If I were to replace some today I would go with the composit LEDs that Rick posted.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

Got the newer lights on my M37 and Gamma Goat lights on my M416.
Won't leave home without them.
What's the source on the LED's ??
Jerry
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.
milstencil
CPL
CPL

Post by milstencil »

Ebay under M998 or M35a2
Rick
Also steel soldiers:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread ... s-for-sale
Resident of the Communist state of Massachusetts, home of failed
health care and failed gun control! See what the Democrats can do
when they control both houses.
http://www.militarystencils.com
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Bob,

I used the modern MV tailights. You would need to make a simple bracket to extend the mount for clearance. Much more visibility:

http://www.g741.org/photogallery/main.p ... temId=5067
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
bill monahan
CPL
CPL

Post by bill monahan »

Just came home from MTA show in Sussex, NJ. LED lights sold all over the place. I have an early M-37 so just the LED cover wouldn't fit but they all sell the bucket as well. $60 each with bucket. Bucket mount might require a small mod to mount but def a great product. Comes with numbered military connectors.
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

Gama, not Gamma. After Rob't Gamaunt, inventor of the all-angle U-joint that made the articulation of the M561 Goat possible.

If you use the goat lights, make sure to pull the one 21cp lamp that is mounted closest to the lens and replace it with a 6cp one, or it will melt a hole through the plastic.

Those covers are (were) available in amber and clear, too.

PoW
Last edited by PoW on Fri May 03, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.