Engine ID help

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

hwo1990

Engine ID help

Post by hwo1990 »

Hi Folks,
I'm new to the group and I've been looking around at vehicles for sale in my area (Eastern New England). I looked at one today and I can't seem to figure out what engine it had. The code stamped on the block (driver's side, just down from the front) says "US . 24-2477". There is a data plate attached to the opposite side that indicates a rebuild. The "OVERHAULED AT" field is stamped "AN.AD". Can't make out the associated date. I'll try to post some photos.
I'm curious if anyone has any observations, comments, suggestions on this vehicle.
Thank you,
Hugh

1954 M37 W/OW "Nellie Belle"
vtdeucedriver
SFC
SFC

Re: Engine ID help

Post by vtdeucedriver »

Hi Hugh,
That is a stock T-245, 230 CID for the M-37. Its missing a few things to be M-37 stock as its been converted to 12 volt and it does not have the oil bath aircleaner or the orig carb. Ive seen this truck on CL quite a bit. Looks pretty straight from the pics. Welcome to the group. Lately there have been a few nice ones coming available in NewEngland.
Green Mountain Military Vehicle Club Army Transportation Association Vietnam

http://linehaulrvn.tripod.com
1951 M37
1954 M37
1953 M62
1967 M54A1C
1968 M54A2C
1968 M52A2
1966 M151A1
pwrwagonfire
SSGT
SSGT

Post by pwrwagonfire »

A few months late of this...hey, I was busy in April :lol:

I guess first off what vtdeucedriver said is correct. Obviously converted to 12 volt.

I wanted to add, that this truck is formerly of the Saugus, Massachusetts Civil Defense/Emergency Management. I know that they have a very active program over there, and I'm sure there would be people around who remember the truck and can give you little details about it.

-T
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

vtdeuce,

But aren't M37 engines stamped "T245-XXXXXX" on the block? Why is this one stamped "US-24-XXXXXX"?

regards,
bob
monkeymissile
SSGT
SSGT

Post by monkeymissile »

could it be the same engine but from a generator or similar, did they have different data plates?
1953 Dodge M43

Fail often to succeed sooner
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

hwo1990 wrote:Hi Folks,
I'm new to the group and I've been looking around at vehicles for sale in my area (Eastern New England). I looked at one today and I can't seem to figure out what engine it had. The code stamped on the block (driver's side, just down from the front) says "US . 24-2477". There is a data plate attached to the opposite side that indicates a rebuild. The "OVERHAULED AT" field is stamped "AN.AD". Can't make out the associated date. I'll try to post some photos.
I'm curious if anyone has any observations, comments, suggestions on this vehicle.
Thank you,
Hugh

Doesn't your pic show US 24 4977?
JB

Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.
pwrwagonfire
SSGT
SSGT

Post by pwrwagonfire »

I have personally seen a trailer mounted pump unit which had this exact engine...so anything is possible!

Is it possible that it was re-built at the depot, then the army installed it in the truck because it was the same engine?

-T
hwo1990

Post by hwo1990 »

Thank you all for the posts. I've searched the internet and cannot find any references to an engine with this code, US 24-2977. The engine does have a bolted-in oil filler neck which based on other posts in this forum, seems to indicate that it was an engine supplied to the military. The rebuild tag attached to the engine tag says it was rebuilt at the Anniston Army depot. So I guess it is or was a military engine.

Unfortunately the truck's electrical system is a hybrid. The generator, starter and headlights are 24v. The circuits for the electric fuel pump, ignition coil, distributor, etc., are fed via 12v tap between the two batteries. I'll start another post regarding this issue.

- Hugh
1954 M37 W/OW "Nellie Belle"