Restoration Guide

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

jjefferson
CPL
CPL

Restoration Guide

Post by jjefferson »

Larry Sage has graciously donated an extra copy of David Ahls M37 Resortation Guide to the G741 Group. It is our to look at, just like a library book, with the understanding that when called for, you just sent it on to the next guy.

I just finished looking at and happy to drop it in the mail if someone wants to read it.

I also scanned a bunch of chapters and can send those along as well. I copied the chapters on the emergency brake, axle seals, and the carb, gov, and distributor rebuild sections. I know that Alan Bowes website is off line, so the carb, gov, and dist might prove to be useful. Let me know and I can email those along.

I know that some folks don't care for the book, and I agree on some of their points, but you never know what nugget or idea you might uncover.

Thanks again to Larry for donating the book. Greatly appreciated.

Jim Jefferson
1954 M-37 "Billy"
defending US National Toboggan Championion
www.knockabouttoys.com
jbxx
SGT
SGT

Ahl Book

Post by jbxx »

I would love a turn!
I have heard some bad stuff, but it sounds like it has
some good topics and I will be glad to pass it on.
Send me a personal message if it can be done.
Thanks!
J.B.
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Restoration guide..

Post by Nickathome »

I have a copy of the book. Its mostly just articles from Military Vehicles Magazine printed int one format. Its an ok book and a good read on a rainy day but for real maintenance or restoration, its not going to be of much help.
rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Post by rixm37 »

I agree with Nickathome. I was lucky enough to find a copy cheap a while ago and it is a good read. If you have no idea about the M37 you can see what Ahl went through to get the truck and then how much it takes to strip it down to paint it. As far as how to do other needed stuff like brakes and engine there are much better sources including all the knowlege here on this forum. It's kind of a nice intro to the M37. I wonder why Ahl didn't do another print run on the book ?
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

I imagine there wasn't a second printing because of limited interest. We who love the beast are a very small minority in the eyes of the commercial press. "Self-publishing" is a possibility, but it's an expensive proposition which usually entails a minimum press run and the author stands a very good chance of having thousands of copies that he/she is unable to sell.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Ahl...

Post by Nickathome »

Plus, I heard that Dave Ahl has since sold the truck he had featured in the book. I also heard that the dude didn't do as great a restoration as he had written about...
rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Post by rixm37 »

OK back from another run

OOHH I see I didn't know he sold the truck. Maybe that's why we never have seen him here on the forum.
I hope he didn't do just a paint job resto.
I also forget that the M37 group is pretty small.
Still the book is not bad and if you have never seen it it's worth a look.
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506
Larry S
PVT
PVT

Re: Restoration Guide

Post by Larry S »

Hi guys been away for awhile. When I got the M37 done I started to play with a couple of deuces ( one is a fairly rare dump). But I need to get back on the M43. I saw on another forum that the guide has been selling for some hefty and completely unreal prices. I just want to make sure the forum's copy is still out there for the members use
Larry S
1953 m37 cdn
1953 m43
1973 m342 a2(duece dump)
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

Hello Larry,

Last summer I communicated via PM to the current reader of the board's copy and gave him my address but he never sent me the book.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
Larry S
PVT
PVT

Post by Larry S »

Maybe you could PM him again and remind him to do the right thing.
Larry S
1953 m37 cdn
1953 m43
1973 m342 a2(duece dump)
Paddyofurniture
SGT
SGT

Post by Paddyofurniture »

Is there a way a copy could be scanned and posted on the web site? That way we could all have a copy. Or better yet would the author think about selling CD with the book on it?

Paddy
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

Larry,
I PM'd him and no answer.

Paddy,
Sorry I couldn't get the book to you since you were next in line. Maybe if we are lucky Aaron will see the book and remember what it's for.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
Paddyofurniture
SGT
SGT

Post by Paddyofurniture »

That would be Great!

Paddy
Frank Irons
PVT
PVT

Post by Frank Irons »

cuz wrote:Larry,
I PM'd him and no answer.

Paddy,
Sorry I couldn't get the book to you since you were next in line. Maybe if we are lucky Aaron will see the book and remember what it's for.
Wes,

You don't need this book. I believe you already have more resources and knowledge than this manual contains.

Frank
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Guys, seriously this book isn't worth the postage to have it sent. If it never surfaces again, it will be no great loss.

In reading through this thread I see where the statement was made, Rick I think it was that you hoped he didn't do a paint job resto. I talked with the guy who bought it thinking it had to be the best one ever since it was featured in the BOOK. He learned a hard lesson the costly way. I wish I had kept his contact info, although I known what he would say in response to the paint job resto question; it would be that he didn't even do a good job at that. The text in the book was more BS about how to get around the wife's grumbling than good truck information. David Ahl knew as much about what it takes to correctly restore an M37 as I do about flying a space ship; and friends that ain't much.

If you know nothing about restoration work now; you will still know nothing after reading this book. You may find it entertaining as some say they have, but that's about all you could hope to gain.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com