Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Hazy Question

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

I've acquired some nice original gauges for my M37, but the inside of the glass lenses are either dirty or hazy. I don't see any obvious way to clean the backside of the glass lens without destroying the gauge. Has anyone found a way to do this?

The only remote possibility I see is to drill a small hole in the metal on the side of the gauge case up near the bezel and then use a long cotton swap to wipe the backside of the face. But I'm a little leary about trying that without knowing what the gauge looks like inside. Anybody have any ideas?

Oh....I do realize they make repops for the early gauges and that the later MS series stuff is a form-fit-function replacement.....but I'd prefer to use the original stuff when I can. Just call me a gluton for punishment. :twisted:

thanks,
bob
M37UK
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Hazy Question

Post by M37UK »

Hi Bob
Could it be condensation on the inside of the glass?
Often after warming up the gauges the glass clears.

Just a thought
Stu
Stu

1952 Dodge M37 with 1952 M101 Trailer
MVT UK
SMVG Scotland
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

I had some gauges which were fogged from moisture and placed them in a 120 degree oven for several hours which dried/evaporated all leaving them clear.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

This isn't condensation....it's just dirt and grime from all the years. I did look at one of the gauges I have last night a bit closer. No way I can drill a hole in the side of the case....seems the glass extends all the way around the side of the gauge and would surely splinter and shatter if I put a drill to it. I guess it's either live with them the way they are.....or find better ones.

thanks,
bob
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

That's an archeological dig inside them gauges, man!

One thing I have learned to do is always be on the lookout for clean, clear gauges. Even if I "think" I don't need any, there might be a real nice one in a box of duds.

This rule goes for anything that is on your truck. And is why I have so many duplicates of things.... :mrgreen:
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
neverfinished
PFC
PFC

Post by neverfinished »

On my first M37-probably late 80's-the guy I bought it from had used paint stripper and let it run all over the gauges which really did a number on the face-which is actually plastic on all that I've seen. I carefully uncrimped the bezels so I could remove the lenses, sand and then polish them. They turned out very well. Several years later I learned of the potential hazard from the radium paint on the gauge faces. Well, at least I'm still not glowing! :D
1951 m-37
1953 M-37 USAF
2 M-101A1 trailers
NRA Life