Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Correct First Aid Kit for '52 M37 ???

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

I'm a little confused as to which is the correct type of first aid kit my '52 M would have come with when it was made. I keep seeing people list BOTH the kits in the pics as correct for WW2, Korea, and Viet Nam. And maybe they are as I'm sure their useage overlapped....but I don't know. The major difference of course is the lid....one is depressed and the other is not. I realize the non-depressed lid type of kit came with a variety of lettering/numbers on them. I'm not too concerned with that, as my intent is to just get the correct box style and paint it either Strata Blue or White for use in my AF M37. Anybody know which one was used in 1952?

thanks,
bob

m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Re: Correct First Aid Kit for '52 M37 ???

Post by m-37Bruce »

I always thought that the first one was the correct one for our era truck.

I have since added the correct markings that I secured from Rick Larson. I believe they are/or were 8 bucks.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
snowdad
SGT
SGT

Post by snowdad »

The top one is more correct. If the bottom doesn't have a hinge, but 4 latches it possibly could be correct as they were the late war version and lapped over into the Korean era. It would have been possible but rare.
Phillip
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Bruce,

Who is Rick Larson? I'm assuming he makes the decals for the first aid kits? Can you tell me his website or contact info?

thanks,
bob
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

http://www.militarystencils.com/default.aspx

Rick is a super guy to deal with, he also has an M-37.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Thanks Bruce!!
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Snowdad,

Looks like you're right. I found this website about first aid kits and although it's not specific about when in the early 50's the top kit was phased in....it was phased in. I now have a better understanding of when the kit I run across were used.

http://www.med-dept.com/veh_kits.php

thanks again for your help!

regards,
bob
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

w30bob wrote:Thanks Bruce!!
Bob, There is another maker of decals out there, I have never met him though. He is a member of Steel Soldier's he also has a few vehicles, one an M-37 dressed out as a C-B rig, his name I do not remember?
Always Glad to Help,
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

When I was in the military ('68 to '71) we used whatever we could get our hands on. There wasn't a whole lot of sweating the little stuff. Most of the time there were no tools, med kits, spare tires, etc. Most trucks had at least one "combat rim" in the mix of 4. You were lucky if the winch worked. :shock: :roll:

We were just glad the truck ran and stopped when you stepped on the brakes. :D
Joe
CPL
CPL

Post by Joe »

I've posted this before and you'll have to go find that post to get the exact details BUT according to FM-23-2 (IIRC!), the First Aid FM, first aid kits were only installed in every 4th non-armored vehicle and after 1954 or so they were dropped completely from them. That's why you see so few original M-37s that even have the holes for the strap that was used to secure the kit. Many owners are installing footman loops to hold the strap but the correct, original installation involved two slots in the seat base. The strap went from the top (outside) of the FA kit then around it and through one slot and then inside the seat base and out the other slot and back to the top of the FA kit where it was buckled together. After the kits were dropped, Dodge stopped putting the slots in the seat base but for some reason they kept putting in the holes for the rubber bumpers
ODUSAOK
PVT
PVT

Post by ODUSAOK »

Good information Joe,here and over on Wes' post about changing from the 24 volt W.P. system.Very detailed,and concise.Much appreciated.
I have a '52 and figured they used a spring steel strap set with a tension hook that went in those two slots.Webbing will be so much easier to come by.
Thank you much,and for the tutorial on ignition advance vacuum source/function.
Chris
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the info.....good stuff. But I don't think I've seen an M37 that didn't have the two slots in the seat base for the strap to go thru that held the FA kit. I've seen lots that didn't have the two little holes between the slots that we haven't quite figured out what they're for.........but none without the strap slots. I'll have to look at more pics.

thanks,
bob
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

w30bob wrote:Hi Joe,

Thanks for the info.....good stuff. But I don't think I've seen an M37 that didn't have the two slots in the seat base for the strap to go thru that held the FA kit. I've seen lots that didn't have the two little holes between the slots that we haven't quite figured out what they're for.........but none without the strap slots. I'll have to look at more pics.

thanks,
bob
The little holes are for rubber bumpers, I guess to stop some of the rattling. I used footman loops as I didn't have the slots, but the did have the holes.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Bruce,

No, not the rubber bumper holes.......some M's had 2 smaller holes between the slots for the strap. We had a discussion on this awhile back, but didn't come to any conclusion as to why they are there. The answer that made the most sense was a way to secure the strap from falling into the battery compartment area.......maybe with rivets or screws........but no definitive proof has been found. You can see the 2 small holes circled in the pic below. They are too small for the rubber bumpers to fit, as you can see from the size of the hole on the bottom where a rubber bumper should be. And as I said, not all M's had them. What do you think?

First Aid Kit Holes by w30bob, on Flickr

regards,
bob
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Nothing to add, I must have missed this end of the discussion?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA