ACME trans = T98 ?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Citizensoldier
PVT
PVT

ACME trans = T98 ?

Post by Citizensoldier »

Well I was attempting to install my hens teeth PTO found in the back country of British Columbia but that is another story. After draining the trans and removing the PTO cover plate I proceeded to take out a half of cup of metal shavings along with synchronizer rods out of the bottom.. Sooooo.. a rebuild of this rare bird will be needed before installing the PTO and new motor into the truck. I contacted Vintage Power Wagon and no dice. Just wondering if anyone has any rebuild parts for one or knows where they can be had. I have called Brian Ausbury about them in the past and it was a dead end.
A few years back I was going to purchase a government rebuilt one from Sid Beck.. Well Sid up and passed away on me RIP Sid and I have no idea who ended up with all his parts. Anybody know? Ughhhh.. Some days just suck!..
It's my understanding the ACME is a T-98 built through a licensing agreement with Borg Warner and Canada. The T-98 was used in Jeeps, Fords and some other applications here in the U.S. What are the differences between the two? Anybody have cross reference part #'s? Any and all info on rebuild parts,the trans itself, or anything related to this would be greatly appreciated. It has the 1 3/8 shaft and a 11" clutch.
M37's and other OD junk
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Re: ACME trans = T98 ?

Post by m-37Bruce »

For quite some time I thought it was Brent Mullins that purchased Sid's inventory, but that was not the case, I spoke with him a few weeks ago looking for some Zenith carb stuff, he had none nor knew where to find any. Have you talked to John Bazel at Midwest Mil yet?
He had exactly what I was needing, but I forgot to ask him?

http://www.midwestmil.com
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Citizensoldier
PVT
PVT

Post by Citizensoldier »

I will try John.. Last time i talked with him he had no Canadian stuff but you never know what he finds on his adventures. :D Sid had two of them on pallets sure would like to find out where they went..
M37's and other OD junk
m15256
CPL
CPL

Post by m15256 »

I have a Canadian trans in a crate that is an Army rebuild. Got it from George when he was still running Vermont Commercial Salvage. I got it as a spare for the M152 but since I'm seriously thinking about parting that out maybe it is time to unload the trans. Let me know if you are interested in buying it. Do you have a spare CDN PTO or a PTO idler? There is a guy in Churchill Canada that really needs one. The idler I thought was CDN must have been one for the RIGHT side of an American trans.
RICK
M 152 CDN
M 56 (V41)
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

Bill in Churchill told me that he had someone find T-98 parts for his transmission rebuild that were for an International truck trans. He might be able to provide some info on that source. The ACME Pto gear is still in the project stage after exhausting most other options, I'm waiting a quote to have a one off gear cut for Bill and if its reasonable then he could go that route. I may have a spare made at the same time depending on the cost.

Jess
Citizensoldier
PVT
PVT

Post by Citizensoldier »

M15256 I am definitely interested! Where are you located? I don't have any extra Canadian PTO stuff.. It took me two years to find the one I do have. I purchased it from a guy in Northern British Columbia! Cost me a arm and a leg but worth it. During the time I was looking for it I was told that Vintage Power Wagon had some gears made or found some somewhere that would replace the gear in a US PTO and work on the ACME. Shortly after hearing this I found the PTO I have and never pursued it. Maybe give them a call ?
So you have a M152 you might part out? I found one in fairly complete condition but rusted bad on the top. I am kicking around buying it but $ to have it hauled stopped me. I would love one of those trucks! Got some pictures of the one you have?
M37's and other OD junk
Citizensoldier
PVT
PVT

Post by Citizensoldier »

Jess wrote:Bill in Churchill told me that he had someone find T-98 parts for his transmission rebuild that were for an International truck trans. He might be able to provide some info on that source. The ACME Pto gear is still in the project stage after exhausting most other options, I'm waiting a quote to have a one off gear cut for Bill and if its reasonable then he could go that route. I may have a spare made at the same time depending on the cost.

Jess
My research shows the T98's were used in some Fords, Internationals, and jeeps but I can not find if the parts are the same as the Canadian made ACME under license from Borg Warner. And a version of the ACME was even used in some Dodge W300s.. go figure.. :shock:
M37's and other OD junk
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

i rebuilt my t98 seven years ago and had no problem finding parts locally . I walked into Bert's http://www.bertsauto.com/home.php the old guy behind the counter (Bert) rummaged around a bit and came back with all the bearings, washers and gaskets i needed for $62.83 part # sp18-50A, t98-55 hope this helps.
not looking to sell but if you need a gear, or a synchro i might have one. i have a 5 gallon bucket of t98 parts in oil, but have not gone through it. I also have the cdn parts book and manual if you need bearing count and dimensions.
.............................. use it ...............
Citizensoldier
PVT
PVT

Post by Citizensoldier »

So the trans your talking about was out of a Canadian M37? just checking.
M37's and other OD junk
m15256
CPL
CPL

Post by m15256 »

Citizensoldier- PM sent
RICK
M 152 CDN
M 56 (V41)
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

You might try Adirondack Dodge up in New England....
http://www.adirondackdodgeparts.com/

Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Citizensoldier
PVT
PVT

Post by Citizensoldier »

Hey RMS I sent Burt's a email. Thank you and we will see what they have to say. It's funny I found the PTO in B.C !! :D I think I am going to pick up any parts or transmissions I can afford and find for this. I need to get another 30 years out of it..Love my Canadian..
M37's and other OD junk
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

right on man i hope they can help. the t-98 is a nice shifting trany. but it wasn't till I drove an American truck that I was able to shift from forward to reverse as fast as Buddy Hackett in its a mad mad mad world.
.............................. use it ...............
achiem37
PFC
PFC

Post by achiem37 »

The only major difference between the CDN M37 tranny and a regular T98 is the larger input shaft from the clutch. The CDN M37 input shaft is 1 3/8" dia with 10 splines. Everything else used was 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" . I bought all new syncro rings and bearing kits for the rebuild from Morris 4x4 center. These are the parts I ordered
rear bearing # 8132431
3 and 4 th blocking ring for syncro # 912324 need 2
1 and 2 nd blocking ring for snycro # 912340 need 2
new coutershaft shaft # 940494
small parts kit # T98
front bearing # 4488141
other parts are available as well such as gears and gaskets. Hope this helps. Terry
Citizensoldier
PVT
PVT

Post by Citizensoldier »

Ok I broke the trans down and according to my Canadian manual which has pictures of the NP420?? I will need Gear 2nd speed synchronizer,with hub assy manufacture # CC1391605 and Gear, reverse idler,assy Manufacture# CC1391625
Does anyone know if they are the same in a T98 transmission?
M37's and other OD junk