circut breakers

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

jim0311
PVT
PVT

circut breakers

Post by jim0311 »

I have an M37B1 There are no circut breakers. Was there a mod that took them out? I have lights and a horn do I need two breakers or will one suffice?
Jim
Carter
1SG
1SG

Re: circut breakers

Post by Carter »

Your truck should have three or four if the wiring is orig, have you looked in the usual location for the circuit breakers, behind the instrument cluster on the dash bracing?

Click on thumbnail
Image Image Image
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

I have a 52 M37. The truck is 60 years old now and the electrical system works fine. I have to wonder though, how reliable are those old breakers. I work as an electrician, and pretty much every 60 year old panel I work in is a nightmare, and the old breakers are notorious for not tripping. Are these old truck breakers similar? It would be pretty easy to wire in a fuseblock with replaceable fuses.
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

ZGjethro wrote:I have a 52 M37. The truck is 60 years old now and the electrical system works fine. I have to wonder though, how reliable are those old breakers. I work as an electrician, and pretty much every 60 year old panel I work in is a nightmare, and the old breakers are notorious for not tripping. Are these old truck breakers similar? It would be pretty easy to wire in a fuseblock with replaceable fuses.
When one of mine failed it resulted in a fire by igniting spilled gasoline: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4771 not sure how to test them since things do fail and having known working ones would ease the electrical system fire worry somewhat.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
jim0311
PVT
PVT

Post by jim0311 »

Yes truck was completly stripped and repainted, no breakers. I think I best put them in. I have a few that I acquired and are the right type.
Jim
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

Jim,

The M37 had a circuit breaker for the horn and a circuit breaker for the lights.

The M37B1 had a horn circuit breaker only. The later model light switches had the circuit breaker built in.

On both: The instruments were unprotected right off the ignition switch (except early M37 thru SN 80037412 and a group of 6 M37's just after that serial had an instrument breaker). You often find breakers added for accessories like heaters.
Last edited by cuz on Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
Brett
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Brett »

Both of my trucks had a breaker mounted to the back of the instrument panel. the output side of that breaker is where the spider harness got its power.

Brett