Seafoam

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

WarrenD
SSGT
SSGT

Seafoam

Post by WarrenD »

Has anyone used Seafoam as a gas additive in their M37? What was the result, good or bad?

Edit: To clarify, I'm not looking for an ethanol stabilizer, I'm already using one. I was wondering if Seafoam as a cleaner was worth using.
Last edited by WarrenD on Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
milstencil
CPL
CPL

Re: Seafoam

Post by milstencil »

I think you should go here: http://www.fueltestkit.com
and peruse ALL the info on fuel additives in the left navigation menu.
I have used Seafoam and a product called Hydroburn in the
truck to solve a problem with ethanol "enhanced" gas to no
avail. I use the truck rarely and have had a problem with the
"gas" separating. The ethanol has dissolved the fiber filter in the tank
resulting in clogged filters and carb. I'm currently pulling the tank for a flush
to get rid of all the little fuel filter fibers.
Currently I travel to a friends place in norther Vermont to pick up 20 gals. of
ethanol free gas when I need it.
Regards,
Rick
Resident of the Communist state of Massachusetts, home of failed
health care and failed gun control! See what the Democrats can do
when they control both houses.
http://www.militarystencils.com
WarrenD
SSGT
SSGT

Post by WarrenD »

Thanks. While I would love to run non-ethanol gas, it's too far to go to get it. Racing fuel is way too expensive and quite frankly, I'm not sure it would be good for the old 230 flathead.
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

Warren:
I can't address using Seafoam in an m37 but I do use it regularly in my late model gas rigs. Supposedly helps
clean injectors and touts other miraculous benefits. I figure it can't hurt. Maybe it can help in older carburated
units like our military vehicles. Probably won't help much with the ethanol problem.
Looking forward to what others have to say on this "Seafoam" subject.
JB
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.
creinemann
SGT
SGT

Post by creinemann »

I just used Seafoam to clean out some carb buildup on the valves in my M37, I used the liquid not the spray, and shot it in via the vacuum lines, it seems to work very well! I have not used as an additive though.
Carl Reinemann

1953 M37 USAAF
1953 M101 Trailer
1961 M416
Too many military collectibles to mention

http://m37.crwdesigns.com
M37 Restoration Site
http://dodgem37.com
http://facebook.com/creinemann
http://legendary-antiques.com
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

I use Seafoam in the crank case of my 91 subaru loyal it is the only stuff that stops the "tick of death". it lasts about 6 months then the "tick of death" comes back. i use it in the m37 gas tank to lube the electric pump (24v carter. 10years in the truck) and to lube the carb.
I started using it to see if it would help with the throttle lag i get after coming down a grade.

scenario: on the highway @ 45mph(according to the speed'O, 4.89s) coming down the bridge decking foot off the throttle, bottom of the hill time to give her the beans right foot down......nothing happens..... pull the choke fast and slam it back in and then the power comes back on and the accelerator starts to work.

1/4 can of Seafoam in a full tank and i dont get the lag. last's about two more fills then its back to barfing the choke to get throttle response back after coasting down a hill.
.............................. use it ...............
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

I have heard good things about Seafoam, but I have never used it. I use Stabil in my snowmobile and dirtbikes, and my autos get straight gas all year long. In going to the Seafoam website, all their graphics and designs are old. Is Seafoam a modern age additive or some product from the 50's? How do they compare to other products, and who are their competitors?
WarrenD
SSGT
SSGT

Post by WarrenD »

If it is an older product, it seems to have found re-newed interest. A friend of mine used it in his 53 Ford P/U (350 small block Chevy engine) and says the truck has never run better. A few years back, it was all the rage on the Impala forums as it seemed to do a very good job of cleaning deposits from the intake and top end of the engine.
They appear to have several products and/or uses. One goes in the crankcase to clean the lube system and one goes in the tank (or directly injected down the carb). I've heard the cleaning procedure is to dump it down the carb (or thru the intake) until smoke billows out the tailpipe and then dump in enough to make the engine stall. Wait a while, and restart and blow out what's left. Most admit a plug change is required after that, at minimum a clean and gap.
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

My son used it on his car last year. He used the vacuum line off of the power brake booster to inject it into the intake until it stalled out, then waited a while to restart it. I don't know if it did any good but BOY did it make a smoke screen when he started it ..lol

Sal
:mrgreen:
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Wayne64 »

Sal wrote:My son used it on his car last year. He used the vacuum line off of the power brake booster to inject it into the intake until it stalled out, then waited a while to restart it. I don't know if it did any good but BOY did it make a smoke screen when he started it ..lol

Sal
:mrgreen:
If it smoked like hell and fogged the neighborhood of mosquitoes, then it was working right. Seafoam has been around from the 30s or 40s. What it was developed for originally was for 2 stroke outboards. Run a hot engine on fast idle, start spraying it into intake, increase RPM to keep it running, then spray it heavy to force a stall. Wait 1/2 hour and restart, what happens is much of the carbon build up on piston tops and exhaust manifold is burned off. I'm not big on the RXs in a can but Seafoam is an exception. My 30 year old chain saw gets treated every year. My final statement is E10 flat out sucks in all things gas powered, screw the tree huggers. You think it's bad with road vehicles? Ask any boater in damp climates what they think about it!
MY Life Past and Present
http://crayonmedia.com/wayne/
Tuko
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tuko »

milstencil wrote: The ethanol has dissolved the fiber filter in the tank
resulting in clogged filters and carb.
Regards,
Rick
I pulled my tank tonight to check out the inside and see if it need resurrection or not, looks like the tank or sending unit had never been out. I only had time to pull it, didnt take out the sending unit yet to inspect. What exactly is the deal with this fiber filter you speak about, should it be deleted? I assume its on the bottom of fuel the pickup?

thanks,
Tuko
51 Dodge M37 W/W 4BT/NV4500

My G741 Registry Entry