Who is ACCO?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Who is ACCO?

Post by w30bob »

So I'm driving around pondering my tail light question regarding the ORD 9 manufacturers codes showing early M's were built with Chrysler Corporation tail lights......yet I've never seen one marked "Chrysler". That got me thinking that maybe ACCO was American Chrysler Company or something....because I never heard of ACCO, yet I see their tail lights at every swap meet and on Ebay all the time.

So I get home and start looking on the internet for this company called ACCO. I can't find ANYTHING. I mean NOTHING. You'd think a company that got big fat Government contracts to supply lighting parts for vehicles wouldn't be that hard to find. The ONLY thing I found that was military related with ACCO was an old military parachute double hook that said "ACCO" on one side and "AJAX" on the other. But searching for AJAX and ACCO resulted in nothing. There's also a modern day ACCO that deals in undisclosed military supplies for our efforts in the middle east........but I can't find any history of the company that goes back anywhere near to when our trucks were made.

So I'm a bit stumped. The only other ACCO that I found was an ad for automotive snow chains. The ad identified ACCO as the American Cable and Chain Company.......who did sell chains to the military. But I can't find any mention of those guys making anything but chain and cables. And I don't see how you go from making chains to tail lights.

So if anyone knows what "ACCO" stands for.........I would really like to know. Cuz this is going to keep me up all night. :o)

take care,
bob
Cal_Gary

Re: Who is ACCO?

Post by Cal_Gary »

Dang Bob,
Don't let these things keep you awake all night unless you're going for a 100 point frame-off resto--life is too short! :)
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Gary....I hear ya. I'm sure some people read my posts and just roll their eyes thinking what is this guys problem.....just put it together and drive it. Who cares about date codes and what part is exactly correct. It's just an old habit from my musclecar days. I think the fun part of that hobby was tracking down and FINDING all the "correct" parts.....so I carry that over to my M37. I really do enjoy the chase, which means I have to know what it is I should be chasing. It's a sickness for sure, that can't be fully explained. When I restore something I want it 100% correct....down to the markings on the bolt heads.....but I have no intent of ever showing it or having it judged. Yeah.......I am a wingnut! And I appreciate you guys bearing with me on this stuff.

regards,
bob
WarrenD
SSGT
SSGT

Post by WarrenD »

There is something to be said for acquiring the knowledge. Getting as much of the history/info in writing is beneficial to those in future years.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Always glad to help out on yur posts, Bob-keep 'em coming!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
chris olson
PFC
PFC

Post by chris olson »

The only ACCO I can think of is the office supplies maker I think they make three ring binders and paper clips
1952 M37cdn
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Chris,

Yeah, I looked into those guys, but they weren't around in the 50's and I can't see any connection to them making electrical components, such as a tail light. Seems a bit strange that there's no info about the ACCO that supplied the military with tail lights. They are not listed as a manufacturer in the ORD 9 I have (dated 1954), so I can only assume they were a military supplier sometime after that date. I don't know if there is an updated ORD 9.....you'd think there would be.....but it would be interesting to look in that version and see if they are listed as a manufacturer. I'm going to post a question about ORD 9 revisions and maybe we can solve this little mystery.

take care,
bob
Paul in Kempner, TX
PFC
PFC

Post by Paul in Kempner, TX »

When I arrived in Korea in October 1964, I was assigned two vehicles. One was a M-151, 1/4 ton, 4x4 MUTT. The other was a M-37B1, 3/4 ton, 4x4 Truck.

During my 20 years of active duty in the US Army, I was assigned duties as Motor Sergeant, Unit Maintenance Officer, and Unit Property Book Officer.

I had "hands on" experience with many US Army vehicles. I also read the "-10" and up manuals. Maybe my experience will be useful to you.

The answers to many of your questions may be found in appropriate MWO's.

Here's a link to AR Army Regulation 750–10, Army Modification Program

http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r750_10.pdf

MWO's are retained in the vehicle log book. Disposition of the log books is specified by Army regulations. AR 25-400-4 is the current applicable Army records management regulation.

Here's a link to AR 25-400-4, Chapter 7, Applying Disposition Instructions

https://www.arims.army.mil/ARIMS/Help/I ... ctions.pdf

Because I am aware of the existence of MWO's and their disposition instructions, I accept that my trucks had modifications during their service in the Army for which no documentation is readily available. I also accept that correctness of replacement parts is more a matter of NSN and other parts numbers than it is about the name of the parts supplier.

I also am aware that I am not the first civilian owner of any of my trucks and I accept that PO's (prior owners) may have made modifications that are not documented by any competent authority. Some of my trucks have had modifications for safety. Some were modified to make them more trail worthy. And some modifications were done to make the truck more comfortable for my passengers riding in a three-hour parade in triple digit heat. I drive and enjoy my trucks.

Your questions suggest that you have a truck that will be placed into competition for the “Most Perfect” truck. I applaud you for taking the time to get it right. I know I’m not alone in wanting to see some photos of your truck as it nears completion.

Forgive me for the long post, but it is really hot outside and my computer is in an air conditioned room and it gives me an excuse for not working on the truck.
Paul Cook at the Kempner Power Wagon Museum MVPA#27246

"You have to GO BUY the book before you can GO BY the book."
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info. I appologize if I come across as some detail oriented twit who's critical of everyone's truck that's not 100% correct as built by Dodge.....that's not me. I think the general concept of preserving military vehicles is a great idea, and for me the fun part is learning about them and how they were built. My truck won't be "perfect" or 100% factory correct, but I want to know what is correct so I know where I'm deviating. I guess I'm always afraid that if people don't document the details right then that knowledge will be lost forever. Does it really matter? I don't know, but I'd like to think it does. For example, I was reading in one of the manuals that the engine was designed to be pulled from the truck as a unit, with the trans and radiator attached. It said all the disconnect points were marked with yellow paint to be easily visible. When I read that I thought what a great idea......someone was smart enough to think of that to make life easier for maintainers. Yet when I look at restored M37s I haven't seen one yet that has the yellow markings. So in 40 years from now when some kid goes to a military show it will be details like those that are lost forever. I know it's nick-picking BS, but it's those kinds of things about restoring that fascinate me.

Again, I understand that everyone has different end goals for their trucks and I respect that. I'm not the kind of guy who will be pointing out you have the wrong bolt heads on your fuel filter housing........but I do want to know what the correct bolt heads are......for my personal knowledge. This is a great hobby and it takes all kinds of people and trucks to make it work. But the fun part for me is finding out the details. Maybe to preserve history a bit, but probably more so to satisfy my curiosity. Thanks again to all of you guys for all your help and knowledge.

regards,
bob
Gordon_M

I can only think of one military ACCO

Post by Gordon_M »

That name was used for a lot of Australian trucks in Vietnam, Australian C series Cab Over

There's a thread about them here;

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showt ... hp?t=17193

Don't suppose your taillights came from an M37 that has been down that way?

Gordon
Tanner
SGT
SGT

Post by Tanner »

...just don't 'over-restore' the truck, as many have done. People often end up making the truck better than it ever left the factory.

'Tanner'
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Tanner.......I hear ya! No over-restoring here. :o)

So there I was using the laser level to get the bed sides perfectly straight..........damn, there I go again! (SMILE)

regards,
bob
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

w30bob wrote:Tanner.......I hear ya! No over-restoring here. :o)

So there I was using the laser level to get the bed sides perfectly straight..........damn, there I go again! (SMILE)

regards,
bob
LASER LEVEL?

Bob,

Everyone knows that you should use a Ferro Arm or Coordinate Measuring Machine to assure proper bed side alignment. :wink:

Just kidding Bob.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
farmall

Post by farmall »

67 M715
72 M35A2
95 XLC2
M416
M101A3
M105A2
M1102
M1102
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

B-I-N-G-O !!! Farmall nails it!!

Farmall.....Thanks!!! You also reminded me I need to get out to my shed and spend some time with my A and Cub!

As they say in farmland.......Tractors are RED.....Crops are GREEN!

regards,
bob