Dual Wheels on the M-37

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Re: Dual Wheels on the M-37

Post by w30bob »

Ah......my bad. Thanks for clearing that up. I do remember seeing a pic of an M37 with dual rear wheels...........but I don't think I kept it. I'll dig a bit.

regards,
bob
CSCameron
PFC
PFC

Post by CSCameron »

This one?

PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

I live in sand.

I have driven in sand for over half a century.

Duals suck in sand. That old photo is a BS answer.

Taller singles always work better, look at the tactical trucks involved in the insanity over in the Middle East....not a dual in sight.

Duals are only for handling the weight of heavy loads, and those rims were originally used on radar trailers, not trucks.

They will fit and look badass, but the net result on an M37 is nil.

You will do a lot better by letting most of the air out of your tires in sand, and carrying a little compressor for when going back on hard surfaces.

Sorry.

DDG
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

That fine, don't be sorry. I'm fine with that. I'm more of a mountain guy than a desert guy (I grew up in deserts and lived in Egypt for awhile; I've had my fill of deserts).

I never really planned on using them, but the opportunity arose to acquire a set, so I did. A friend of mine owns a garage and he usually has a couple of cars / trucks being restored, so I occasionally go over there to do things (being an old man looking for things to "fiddle" with). I'll make up the extended fenders, and maybe even put it all together on the truck for a couple of shows one summer.

Just another one of the "accessories" to collect.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

No, that's not the pic I saw, the one I saw was for sale. But now I can see why 52 is interested in the dual rear wheels.......it DOES look bad-ass. And it will look even more so with widened rear fenders. I think the fenders will make it look more "original" and less "modified". I'm now very interested to see it when it's done. Way cool! :mrgreen:

regards,
bob
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

I'm too old to be 'bad ass" anything. I just like to see the truck(s) with the various kits added on. Sort of like Lego sets and "add-on kits", or Barbie Dolls and the "accessories".

It keeps me busy and playing outside (or in the garage) and out my wife's hair (or under foot). It's just a toy to keep me entertained.

The fenders I've got designed in my head will look cool though and they should look very "Production Military Stock". Probably be late this winter or next year before I get started on them though. I've got way too many projects already in work for this year; and I probably won't get them all done. I seem to always over-schedule and under preform. :roll:
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

I seem to always over-schedule and under preform. :roll:
Now don't go selling yourself short (pun intended)......you'll get R done!

:mrgreen:

bob
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

I think those duals look cool and something that would get peoples attention for sure. As to its value, not sure it really matters except for weight... LOL

As far as performance, I go on the beach every week in the summer. I leave the tires at 14 psi all summer. [Jeep TJ, Dont use it for anything else] Here on beach sand, tall enough for ground clearance is needed, but width is the key. That's why you let the air out. To make the tire wider and a softer edge. I grew up on the beach here and spent several years in the Marines driving on desert sand. The same principals applied both places. Even with duals on our M35's and M813's we let the air out. They rubbed but never saw one blow out. Just some thoughts
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

F18hornetm wrote:I think those duals look cool and something that would get peoples attention for sure. As to its value, not sure it really matters except for weight... LOL

As far as performance, I go on the beach every week in the summer. I leave the tires at 14 psi all summer. [Jeep TJ, Dont use it for anything else] Here on beach sand, tall enough for ground clearance is needed, but width is the key. That's why you let the air out. To make the tire wider and a softer edge. I grew up on the beach here and spent several years in the Marines driving on desert sand. The same principals applied both places. Even with duals on our M35's and M813's we let the air out. They rubbed but never saw one blow out. Just some thoughts
This was my thought. You are not going fast in those situations so who cares if they rub. I've got a trailer, so I'm not going to overload the truck anyway; the duals would just be for sand driving, if I was ever anywhere with soft sand.

Mostly though, it is just because I think the dual set-up with fenders would be another cool accessory to have. :D
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

For all you dually fans, check out Bob's catalog cover.

http://www.dodgepowerwagon.com/stahl/

I don't know any details on the truck, but the photo came to mind when I saw the thread.

Andy
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Here's that pic a little brighter so we can see the rear fender detail.

enjoy,
bob
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

Thanks for reposting that picture, Bob.

That looks like what I had in mind. I wish there was one of the rear attachment so I could compare my design with what they did.
CSCameron
PFC
PFC

Post by CSCameron »

52 M-42 wrote:Thanks for reposting that picture, Bob.

That looks like what I had in mind. I wish there was one of the rear attachment so I could compare my design with what they did.
Contact Bob at Veteran Vehicles, maybe he has a rear pic? Or, has access to this vehicle and can take pics for you?
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

Will do! Thanks for posting the original picture, ashyers.
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Glad you guys like it :).

Andy