battery box and hookup

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

battery box and hookup

Post by vinnytruck »

Hi Guys, heres one... I was hooking up my batteries yesterday. Trying to figure out the cables. It went this way: I know the batt. are in series. under the seat inclosure lives the battery box. on the outside of the battery box within the seat inclosure 2 cables go into the batt. box- one ground,(frame) one from the starter. but up from the floor within the batt. box is one cable with 2 termanal lugs (they go to the neg. and pos. of the batteries completing the flow. My question is: the other side of the cable with 2 lugs goes up to the engine compartment and thru the firewall (contains 2 #12 wires that go no where, just hanging there... WHERE DO THEY CONNECT TO????? the truck starts, no problem. ANYONE CAN HELP?????VT and VT&1/2
vinnytruck
cuz
1SG
1SG

Re: battery box and hookup

Post by cuz »

Someone added two 12 Volt taps for a couple of 12 volt accessories. If you are not using any 12 volt accessories then eliminate those two #12 wires. If you elect to keep them it would be wise to fuse them at the battery end connection with a fuse size appropriate to the accessory or if being kept as a spare source of 12 volt power then use about a 2 to 5 amp fuse in each wire.

Are you keeping the truck stock and 24 volt?
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

Post by vinnytruck »

CUZ, Thanks for the reply. I will check with a volt meter, Nice going... We want to keep the truck 24v Is this wise? thanks VT
vinnytruck
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

I suppose "WISE" would depend on several things:

wallet
tool box
test equipment and adapters
technical competence
type of restoration IE motor pool or factory original or daily driver
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

Post by vinnytruck »

Hey Cuz, VT here, You were right. Took a volt meter to the 2 wires, they were both hot 12v. thanks for the enlightenment. VT, My next quest is where to buy the plugs to make my own wiring, it looks like a bomb hit all the wiring under there.
vinnytruck
M37UK
SSGT
SSGT

Post by M37UK »

vinnytruck wrote:Hey Cuz, VT here, You were right. Took a volt meter to the 2 wires, they were both hot 12v. thanks for the enlightenment. VT, My next quest is where to buy the plugs to make my own wiring, it looks like a bomb hit all the wiring under there.

Good luck with sorting all that spaghetti out !! You can get repro connectors from variuos sources but I bought mine from Vintage Wiring of Maine.

Cheers
Stu
Stu

1952 Dodge M37 with 1952 M101 Trailer
MVT UK
SMVG Scotland