Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Can Frosted Glass Be Fixed??

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

The two pieces of windshield glass are "frosted" along the bottom edge. I assume that's because the glass was laminated? and moisture got in between the layers? Is there any way to fix that without replacing the glass?

thanks,
bob
monkeymissile
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Can Frosted Glass Be Fixed??

Post by monkeymissile »

I don't know if the glass is laminated or not; I'm guessing it is because that discoloration is from the laminate getting compromised. If so, it's not easy and labor intensive to repair. Better off replacing with new glass anyway
1953 Dodge M43

Fail often to succeed sooner
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

The glass is laminate for safety. The short answer is No it can't be fixed. As MM said it would be cheaper to just replace the glass. Any good glass shop should be able to cut you two new pieces using your old ones as a template and not for a lot of money. The hard part is getting the frame apart with out to much cussin and fussin... :lol:
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Just get the whole assembly as a pair for $300 or so, then use the existing top track if you can, as trying to remove those track bolts can be a real pain. I had to drill out all but one of mine due to rust, only to find out I could have just slid the new assembly onto the existing track....
Also note, the M35 "deuce and a half" windshield glass is the same size and fit.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

Post by vinnytruck »

Hi, Frosted glass can be solved...but you must polish the hell out of it and ITS NOT WORTH IT. NO time no money will justify your effort. Get new glass and FOR GET ABOUTIT... I have etched glass for many years just get new. VT
vinnytruck
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

If the laminate has fogged due to moisture entering around the edges no amount of polishing will solve that problem.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

Post by vinnytruck »

Sorry Carter, I should have been more careful with my thought direction. "on the glass" can be solved NOT the Lam. VT
vinnytruck