New restoration thread

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

snowdad
SGT
SGT

New restoration thread

Post by snowdad »

Good evening all. Just got the M pulled to my shop and will start a tear down thread and will get pictures posted here. I look forward to any and all suggestions, constructive criticism, and ideas from anyone that would be willing to help me here. This truck was an original M-37 to M-42 and back to M-37 configuration and is almost totally complete without later modifications. It actually did service in the local Civil Defense/Rescue squad that I got my public service life started on in the late 70's early 80's. If anyone would like any particular pictures or angles of any views please don't hesitate to ask. Would like this rebuild help as many of you out there as possible.
Phillip
1953M-37
PFC
PFC

Re: New restoration thread

Post by 1953M-37 »

Well post any pictures we like them . And good luck on the build.....Miles
1953 M-37 Dodge Power Wagon Marine Corps.
2004 Dodge Rumble Bee
Remember, Its always better to be judged by 12, than being carried by six.
snowdad
SGT
SGT

Post by snowdad »

Didn't get done what I wanted, but had a very funny incident to start out with. We were pulling the truck into the shop yard from a field with a tractor when I heard my neighbor (who was driving) yelling. I looked around and all I could see through the windshield was the top of his head and his arms and hands flailing about. I didn't know what kind of fit he had started having till I looked up and realized that the tree that is growing up through the bumper had accidentally hung my overhead electric fence which had fallen into the open cab with him. If I had only had a video of this.
snowdad
SGT
SGT

Post by snowdad »

This is my third attempt to post on this thread. Don't know what is going on. Anyways here we go again. I got the bed separated from the frame today except for the 2 hoses at the fuel tank. The 4 forward nuts, washers, and bolts were a breeze. The back 2 required removal of the lifting shackle brackets. I removed the first bumperette before I found I didn't have to. Went ahead and removed the tailgate by removing the 2 bolts on each end and then the center bracket bolts (2) and lifted the tailgate from the truck. Cut the 3 phillip's head screws from the fuel sending unit access plate as they were shot and removed the sending unit. It was completely shot and it looks like there is rust and crud in the tank. I have tried to post pics, but unsuccessful. If anyone wishes to chime in with helpful hints, comments, or constructive criticism please feel free to do so. I am posting photos in my album under a new subalbum (Phillip Snow) titled My M-37 Restoration. I hope to help others in the hobby. If there is any particular shot or view of an item please let me know and I will take a pic and post it. If anyone can tell me how to post pics here as others have with their restorations please do.
Phillip
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Phillip,
I checked out your pics. Looks like you have a good project ahead of you. Keep us updated. We are here to help.
Are you getting any error messages when you try to upload the pic attachment here on the board? Are they sized too big perhaps? I format my pics first for "Internet large". Upload the attachment then place inline in your post. It should work? When /if you hit the preview tab does your picture appear? We have some better computer gurus here than I, I am sure we will have you fixed up soon :wink:
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
snowdad
SGT
SGT

Post by snowdad »

That is the message I get. I will try that. I was so rushed that I didn't even think about formatting it. Thanks
Phillip
snowdad
SGT
SGT

Post by snowdad »

The front mounting point.
snowdad
SGT
SGT

Post by snowdad »

Got a lot done today. Weather is unseasonably warm for this time of year and I have taken full advantage of it. Just posted the pictures in the pics area. I have started numbering them by month, day, year and chronological order (i.e. 02032012-1, 02032012-2, etc) so it will be easier to follow the tear-down. There is also a short description of each photo.
Once I got the bed off witht he help of my IH 574 (that bed is heavy!) I found debris in the fuel neck. There was some areas of original military green OD paint on the rear of the cab in what really appears to be early WW 2 OD. There is also a spot that shows the chronological painting order: WW 2 OD, post-war OD, and Civil Defense white.
The places where the rubber bumpers were removed shows no doubt that the frame was originally black-possibly gloss or semi-gloss. There is also a shot of bare metal from 1953.
The right rear fuel tank strap bolt is aftermarket and is smaller with a nut and installed opposite of the other. Possible the tank was off or replaced at one time? Even the bottom of the upper fuel tank straps are black.
The fuel line fittings are 3/8" and 1/2" and the line flares are double flared.
My tank has a drain, but research shows that by March 1953 (the DOD of my truck) this feature was eliminated. Another clue that the tank was a replacement? I personally like the drain. Once every now and then, park uphill and open the tank and drain any water that may have accumulated. There are a couple of pics of what was in the tank. The pile with my hand as a reference would fill a half gallon container.
My shirt foreman on break is also pictured. He is a union guy!
I disconnected the fuel line near the fuel pump at the shutoff valve and blew the contents out. Nasty old gas, but very little rust. Those fuel filters must really do the job considering what was in the tank.
There were only 2 spots of rust-through on the bed. One near the passenger wheel well and the other on the passenger side of the toolbox floor.
Please feel free to comment and if anyone needs any particular view or angle of this part of the truck before I go further please don't hesitate to ask.
Phillip
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

Phillip, sandblasting (or plastic media blasting) is your new best friend. Once you get everything apart blast everything to see what you got. Also, best dip / boil out the tank and see if it is full of pin hole leaks (that is the usual case with these tanks; they are 60 years old after all). You might find it easier to just replace all the tubing and of course the wiring.

At least you seem to have all the major parts. That helps a lot.

Just remember: Patience is a virtue. Take your time. It'll be very nice when it is done if you do.

Good luck! It is a nice truck to start a restoration with.

52 M-42
snowdad
SGT
SGT

Post by snowdad »

I have a new samdblaster, but can't seem to figure out what is wrong with it. Not enough pressure for some reason. Will try it later. I fear the same on the tank. I have 2 extras in case this one doesn't work. I have an excellent radiator shop close by and he also does fuel tanks. He was in one of the local NG units and actually was in at a time that these trucks were front line. He did a complete recore and rebuild of my MB radiator and only charged $275.00
I got the bed completely disassembled except for the reflectors and such as well as the fuel filler and the cover. It got dark and wasn't able to take pictures. Will take some more in the morning and then post them at work.
Unfortunately, I had to cut the phillip's head machine bolts as they were too rusted and too far gone even for PB Blaster. I will have to buy new ones from John Bizal. He has them for .35 each and according to research I think I need 68. Only had trouble accessing 2 or 3 of them with the cutter/grinder and those were the inside corner front where the troop seat guide is mounted and the very rear corners.
Phillip
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

Sounds like you are making good progress. Somethings just have to be replaced. Nothing lasts forever. Get the whole thing disassembled and then evaluate each component and replace or rebuild as necessary. In the industry I work in we have a rule of thumb: if repair = 60% of overhaul we overhaul the part. If overhaul = 60% of new we buy a new part.

It sounds expensive but it is good guideline to avoid paying for things twice. It is something to keep in mind when working on 60 year old machines.

Good luck with your project.

52 M-42
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Re: New restoration thread question

Post by m-37Bruce »

I found my build card from CRYCO folded and tucked between my fuel and the top strap, it was in pretty good shape for it's age. Have you found anything similar yet?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
snowdad
SGT
SGT

Post by snowdad »

Nothing like that yet, but some very good first class rust!
snowdad
SGT
SGT

Post by snowdad »

Finally got the bed almost completely disassembled. I really hated to, but finally decided to cut the bed screws off instead of trying to salvage them. They were too far gone. Looks like I will have to order a set from John at MWM. Is 68 the correct number? Also, does anyone know where to get those square domed lock washers?
All I like doing is removal of the reflectors, small misc. items from the panels, and the fuel filler neck and inside cover. Then it will be time to strip the panels down. The only bed rust so far is the spot on the bed next to the passenger wheel well, the small spot on the bottom of the tool box floor, some rust on the seam of the toolbox right side that is welded to the center section in that overlap welded area, and a small part of the flange of the toolbox floor. Everything else is surface rust with some minor/moderate pitting. Pics posted in the gallery of this part are somewhat blurred. Don't know why, but moisture may have something to do with it.
Phillip
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Tom at; http://www.snakeriver4X4.com has 'em, they are called Peripheral Washers. He's a great guy, try to catch him before planting season, he's also a serious farmer. Think HOPS!
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA