Brake Drum Screws

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Brake Drum Screws

Post by HingsingM37 »

Well troops the drum screws on the M101 are stuck real good. I either can't remember what I did to get mine out the 37 (that was over 6 years ago :roll: )or they did not give me fits. Any tricks? Shoud I just grind the heads off and replace?
Last edited by HingsingM37 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Re: Brake Drum Screws

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

I used a punch and placed it in to the slot, and tapped it with a hammer to rotate them counter clockwise (lefty loosy)
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

I've tried PB Blaser and every other "miracle" rust disolving fluid on the planet. None seem to work very well.
Try using plain old brake fluid. Seeps into everything. Soak the screws with brake fluid then use an impact screwdriver to FIRST try to tighten the screw.
Then use the impact to loosen. Tighten, loosen, tighten, loosen till you've got blisters on your hands.
It'll come.
Don't know if heating with a torch in this area might help. Others on this forum might have an opinion there.
JB
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.
hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Post by hbb »

Once you have removed the screws make sure to coat the threads with anti-size and this will help prevent them from rusting in place again.It is wise to use anti-size on any nuts or bolts that will be periodically removed.

hb
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Thanks for the input. I will attempt again this weekend. I was a bit groggy last night and will get a fresh start. If I need to get ugly have found a Fastenal #24285 should be a suitable replacement screw. :wink:
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

Dave . You might try pulling the hubs if you cant get the screws out of the drums. I found it easier to work on them that way. You can get at the threads from the hub side with BP, heat or whatever your using. Put it on a piece of plywood drum facing up and lean into it with a impact tool. Also your going to have to check the bearing, races and seal anyway.

Sal
:mrgreen:
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

BTW........ regarding my comment on using brake fluid. For the few that don't know, brake fluid will absolutely destroy the
paint on anything it touches. Obviously not good for nicely painted parts.
Past Pres
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Thanks gang. I 'll let you know what happens :wink:
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

m37jarhead wrote:BTW........ regarding my comment on using brake fluid. For the few that don't know, brake fluid will absolutely destroy the
paint on anything it touches. Obviously not good for nicely painted parts.
Just an aside comment about paint destruction. If you'll use good quality urethane paint, brake fluid won't touch it.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

I'm thinking a good impact screw driver and a BFH! Also soak them in PB or Krole(sp?) seems to help also.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Arrrgh! I did not get to play on the trailer this weekend. Two plumbing emergencies at the house I had to attend to. Bathroom sink drain plugged. I got to tear into that at 10:30 Friday night. Then yesterday the water tank for the well pump decides to act up, not holding pressure. I get to go buy one of those today :roll:
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

majorhitt
SGT
SGT

Post by majorhitt »

The trick I used to remove the bolts or screws that didn't want to come out, Was the handy BFH and a one inch dia by about ten inches long aluminum bar stock. Two or three hundred smacks and your stuck bolt was now very co operating. Now the neighbors were not so happy, and the ringing in the ears would only last a few days. But I got the bolt out without marring the face.
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

I WAS ANABLE TO REMOVE THE THREE SCREWS THAT HOLD THE DRUM ON ONE OF MY WHEELS IN THE PAST. NOTHING WOULD WORK. NEITHER IMPACT SCREWDRIVER, NOR PENETRATING FLUIDS. I HAD THE ENTIRE HUB REMOVED AND ON THE FLOOR. AAARGHHH!!! I BROUGHT IT TO THE MACHINE SHOP, AND THE GUY THERE COULD NOT GET THEM OUT EITHER. SO IT WAS EITHER DRILL AND RETAP, OR SPOT WELD A NUT ON THEM AND USE A SOCKET TO REMOVE. I WENT WAY # 2. THEY ALL FREED WITH AN ALLMIGHTY "CRACK!!" UNDER THE TORQUE OF THE BREAKER BAR, BUT THEN I COULD NOT FIND THREE SUCH SCREWS ANYWHERE IN THE MARKET FOR THE LIFE OF ME! SO I TOOK THOSE THREE I HAD WITH THE NUTS WELDED ON THEM, I GROUND THE NUTS OFF, AND BY USING THE DREMEL, I RESHAPED THEIR HEADS TO SLOTTED. TALK ABOUT LABOR INTENSIVE!! I WISH YOU BETTER LUCK THAN MINE MY FRIEND. :)
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Post by hbb »

SOTVEN wrote:I WAS ANABLE TO REMOVE THE THREE SCREWS THAT HOLD THE DRUM ON ONE OF MY WHEELS IN THE PAST. NOTHING WOULD WORK. NEITHER IMPACT SCREWDRIVER, NOR PENETRATING FLUIDS. I HAD THE ENTIRE HUB REMOVED AND ON THE FLOOR. AAARGHHH!!! I BROUGHT IT TO THE MACHINE SHOP, AND THE GUY THERE COULD NOT GET THEM OUT EITHER. SO IT WAS EITHER DRILL AND RE-TAP, OR SPOT WELD A NUT ON THEM AND USE A SOCKET TO REMOVE. I WENT WAY # 2. THEY ALL FREED WITH AN ALMIGHTY "CRACK!!" UNDER THE TORQUE OF THE BREAKER BAR, BUT THEN I COULD NOT FIND THREE SUCH SCREWS ANYWHERE IN THE MARKET FOR THE LIFE OF ME! SO I TOOK THOSE THREE I HAD WITH THE NUTS WELDED ON THEM, I GROUND THE NUTS OFF, AND BY USING THE DRE MEL, I RESHAPED THEIR HEADS TO SLOTTED. TALK ABOUT LABOR INTENSIVE!! I WISH YOU BETTER LUCK THAN MINE MY FRIEND. :)

Stoven
Where there is the will there is the way! Good job.

My back, knees, hands and were all hurting after reading that,but I feel the frustration you felt after all of that and then not being able to find replacement screws.
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

Stoven:
I feel your pain !!!!!!!!!!!
Past Pres