Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

monkeymissile
SSGT
SSGT

PTO installation question

Post by monkeymissile »

Hi Everyone,
I secured a used PTO for my M43. I realize that the ambulances normally did not come with a PTO. I was reading in one of the manuals (TM9-8031-2) that if a new PTO needs to be installed, it and the transmission need to be removed and replaced as an assembly. Does that just mean the PTO can't be installed with the transmission in place or does it mean that there's a different transmission required for use with the PTO? I thought that the M37/M43 shared the same transmission and that the PTO was swappable.
Also, curious if anyone has used their PTO to drive anything else other than the stock winch?

thanks!

Justin
1953 Dodge M43

Fail often to succeed sooner
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

The PTO can be installed without removing the transmission, but it is extremely tight quarters to do so. The worst part of it is that it must be properly shimmed to achieve correct drive gear backlash adjustments. That may well cause you to have to install & remove it several times before getting the right number of shims for proper backlash. It's worth the trouble to pull the trans in my opinion. You can use the PTO to drive any accessory you want as long as you properly install a good drive line.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
monkeymissile
SSGT
SSGT

Post by monkeymissile »

Charles,
again, thanks for sharing more of your wealth of knowledge. I think I will save the PTO install for when I strip the truck down completely. I look forward to figuring out how to drive my intended accessories. I'll definitely use the same drive line as for the winch, but maybe place a pillow-block type bearing at the end and use a shaft with a spline at the end. Should be fun!

justin
1953 Dodge M43

Rick C
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Rick C »

I have M43 parts in RI if you need anything........
I second Charles comments. When I tried taking a PTO off a parts truck it was easier to drop the tranny first.....no room at all to work.
Rick C
monkeymissile
SSGT
SSGT

Post by monkeymissile »

Rick,
I believe we've already met via email. You're in Coventry, right? I need to get down to see what you have
1953 Dodge M43

xm708
SSGT
SSGT

pto

Post by xm708 »

My pto runs my winch on the front and the hydraulic dump pump in the rear.
N1VSM
SSGT
SSGT

PTO Shim

Post by N1VSM »

MSeriesRebuild wrote:The PTO can be installed without removing the transmission, but it is extremely tight quarters to do so. The worst part of it is that it must be properly shimmed to achieve correct drive gear backlash adjustments. That may well cause you to have to install & remove it several times before getting the right number of shims for proper backlash. It's worth the trouble to pull the trans in my opinion. You can use the PTO to drive any accessory you want as long as you properly install a good drive line.
How would I know when it is shimmed correctly? What should I look for - or is this a job best left to someone with the correct tools?
You can trust your mother, but you can't trust your ground.