Removing the differential

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

pfrederi
CPL
CPL

Removing the differential

Post by pfrederi »

Haven't been on here in awhile as the M37 has been working OK. However now she has a problem, the front wheels don't drive in 4wd. Found out while I was trying to winch a neighbors van out of the mud. Got the M37 stuck. Front wheels would jerk occasionally accompanied by a banging sound. (had to get the Farmall M to pull the M37 out).

I checked the 4wd engagement at the transfer case ans the poppet clicked firmly. The banging noise generated from the front axle.

I thought I had broken an axle shaft or maybe my Superwinch hubs died. Pulled the axle shafts no breaks and the hubs were OK ( I put the original hubs back on ...no change). When you spin the front wheel there is a lot of slop in the differential and occasional clanks and bangs before the prop shaft starts turning.

The manual describes removing the differential but assumes the whole axle assembly has been removed from the truck. I was wondering if removing the differential while leaving the axle on the truck was feasible.

I am assuming i will shortly be in the market for a differential. :cry:
Last edited by pfrederi on Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul f
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: Removing the differntial

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Sounds like you may have broken either the pinion shaft or have some spider gear/shaft issues going on.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
achiem37
PFC
PFC

Post by achiem37 »

Sounds like what my truck did about a year ago to the rear diff. When I got it hole and pulled the axles they were fine. I pulled the diff and found all the ring gear bolts had sheared off causing the ring gear to spin on it's carrier. The gears were ok but I had to replace the carrier due to the holes being distorted when the bolts went south. Be interested to know what happened to yours.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Yes, it is possible to remove the diff w/o pulling the entire assembly, but beware-that sucker is heavy so use a floor jack or some such to pull and lower it.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
pfrederi
CPL
CPL

Post by pfrederi »

Thank you all. It will be a week or two before i can get to it. Will keep you all advised, thanks again.
Paul f