military canvas care

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

nutsfor59
PFC
PFC

military canvas care

Post by nutsfor59 »

hi,the canvas on my m37 has a few spots of dirt and a couple spots of mold here and there,what is a safe way to clean these canvases ??? what kind of soap,brushes ets do you use ??? any product recomendations anyone ?? this stuff is expensive and is all nice first class stuff i got from midwest military so i really dont want to screw it up !!!!
cuz
1SG
1SG

Re: military canvas care

Post by cuz »

It is best to follow the cleaning and maintaining instructions given by the manufacturer of the new replacement canvas. I am sure John at MWM can get you a copy from his supplier. If you know which supplier John uses of the three then just go to their web site and download their Care and Use Instructions.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Is this replacement canvas made within the last 10 -15 years or is it NOS canvas made 40-50 years ago? If it is new canvas made in the recent past then I would do as stated and go to the manufacture and see what they recommend. If it is New Old Stock made 40 or 50 years ago then I would try using mild dish soap solution in water and a stiff brisle brush. I have found that Dawn dish soap deluted works very well. The other thing is to be able to let the canvas dry in a warm dry place, prefeably on the truck so that it can't shrink where it wont fit. A good dry sunny day would be best. You can also do a web search for canvas cleaner and look for something that is anti-fungal. What ever you choose test it in a spot where it can't be seen in case it changes the color.

Good luck.
Joe
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
UZIS9MM
PFC
PFC

Post by UZIS9MM »

Ditto to what k8icu said. I use the exact same cleaning method he discribed for cleaning my canvas but there is one step he left out. The diluted Dawn solution takes away the weather proofing of the canvas (especialy older canvas) and that has to be replaced once the canvas is dry. To replace the weatherproofing I highly recommend using a product called CANVAK. You should be able to find it at any canvas supply store, some hardware stores, and boating supply stores, or you can just order it off the internet. Normal price for a gallon (and you will go through a gallon if you do all your canvas) is around $30. It is really easy to apply once you get past the smell, just buy a couple of cheap paint brushes and go to town. It will usually take a couple of days to dry completely. When dry the canvas will have that old smell back and your truck will smell the way an Army truck should.

Kevin
Last edited by UZIS9MM on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Kevin,

Good point I forgot about that. I've been using vinyl tops for so long that I have fogotten that. Thanks!
Joe
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Post by hbb »

UZIS9MM wrote:When dry the canvas will have that old smell back and your truck will smell the way an Army truck should.
That is the Smell of Freedome that my Wife and most wifes can't stand. :lol:

hb
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!
chris olson
PFC
PFC

Post by chris olson »

Canvak....the new Men's Cologne
1952 M37cdn