Best method for GI five-gallon plastic water can cleaning /

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Paddyofurniture
SGT
SGT

Best method for GI five-gallon plastic water can cleaning /

Post by Paddyofurniture »

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best method to cleaning / sanitizing GI five-gallon plastic water can with the contents for human consumption.?

Thanks,

Paddy
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Re: Best method for GI five-gallon plastic water can cleanin

Post by Lifer »

If you have access to a steam hose, a minute or two with that should solve the problem.

You could also try using a hot water/dish washing liquid solution. Shake it around vigorously and rinse with cold water. Then, rinse it again with a cold water/bleach solution and set it upside down to dry.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Paddyofurniture
SGT
SGT

Post by Paddyofurniture »

Thanks Lifer!

I will give it a try. I have a steam cleaner and never though of using it on water cans.

Hope things are going well with you.

Thanks,

Paddy
hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Post by hbb »

By using a 30/70 of bleach and water let stand for a day will kill any organic contaminants that may be in the tank except for petroleum and that may be very difficult or next impossible to remove, the plastics will start to absorb the oils-fuels once it is impregnated with a petroleum product they and not useful for palatable water anymore.

Good Luck!

hb
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

hb wrote:...plastics will start to absorb the oils-fuels. Once ... impregnated with a petroleum product they are not useful for palatable water anymore.
Very true. The plastic, itself, is a petroleum product which tends to absorb other petroleum products very easily. Personally, I don't care to drink water that has been stored in a plastic container, even if it's never been used before. I can taste the plastic. My wife says I'm nuts, but I can taste it and don't like it.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Gerry »

To go with that I always thought coke taste better in glass bottles instead of plastic. Also told I was crazy
Gerry

53 M37
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

Fill it with fresh water, empty it then fill it again and put 4 or 5 denture cleaning tablets or a few tablespoons of bi-carbonate of soda and leave overnight, re-flush it again and you'll find the water stored in it is once again fresh and "tasteless" compared to what it was :-)

Best Regards - MM :D
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Gerry wrote:To go with that I always thought coke taste better in glass bottles instead of plastic. Also told I was crazy
.....and I prefer coffee "to go" in a paper cup over styrofoam for the same reason. Can't stand the plastic taste. As a plus, the paper cup is biodegradable. :)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"