dodge m37 axle bushing removal

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

nutsfor59
PFC
PFC

dodge m37 axle bushing removal

Post by nutsfor59 »

hi,does anyone out there know a way to get these darn things out ?? or a tool to buy for the job ?? i have heard of the slide hammer routine and hate that !! not to mention it's beating up the bushing with no movement ,i had a 3 jaw that expands but is not grabbing and only wasting time,please offer solutions before ???? there must be a good basic way !!!,thanks
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

I made a puller by taking a thick washer and grinding it narrow so it would slide throught the bushing. I had to elongate the hole in the washer too. Put it on a piece of threaded rod with a nut welded on to the inner end. Slip it into the bushing then tip the washer back to 90 degrees to the threaded rod. It will catch on the back of the seal. Then put a piece of channel over the end of the knuckle with a hole in it for the threaded rod. tighten the nut and either the bushing and seal will come out, or the washer will fold in half and make you use inapropriate language. I have had both results! For the bushings in the spindle, use the same rig, but put a socket large enough for the bushing to fit inside over the bushing. Tighten it down, and if you hold your mouth just right, the bushing might be pulled inside the big socket. Otherwise, time for more inapropriate language! If the axle tube is empty, no differential, you can drive them out with a long pipe passed through the axle tube.
Good luck,
Tim
Happiness is enjoying what you already have!
Cal_Gary

Re: dodge m37 axle bushing removal

Post by Cal_Gary »

Pull the center chunk then run a length of square tubing from one side to the other-contact the bushing with the end of the tubing, then a rap or two with a BFH will knock it out. Change sides and repeat.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500