Brake grease!?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Mobilized Medic

Brake grease!?

Post by Mobilized Medic »

Yo M-ers(Oops, I meant M-TRUCKers);
Whilst swearing at, skinning knuckles over and marveling at the rugged simplicity of the self energizing brakes on the M43, in a moment of quietude (frustration) perusing the Dodge Service brakes,axles and differential publication by Gordon Maney I noticed the anchor pin felt washers and metal contact points on the shoes needing to be treated with high temperature brake lubricant.
Hunh.
After I went to great lengths to clean all surfaces of any lubricant type contamination with the careful admonishment by a senior member of my "over the shoulder" advisory staff member to make certain no petroleum by-products were left on the brake pads.
So, what say the M-Team?
Anti-seize compound?
Yes, I did read through publication several times in the years past, but the hydrocarbon fogged memory banks must not have registered or there is a subliminal message buried in Gordon's writings to promptly forget this point. And yes, I did dis-assemble the new wheel cylinders and found that one marked for "left" was actually a right on the basis of larger cylinder to the rear pad.
I will be re-disassembling (again). Those anchor pins and locking nuts are looking brand new with all the dis -and re-assembling.
The next truck I am working on will go soooo smooth from all I am re - doing on this project.
I appreciate the words of wisdom.
Regards, Mobilized (and slip sliding away) Medic
Mobilized Medic
skinnedknuckles
CPL
CPL

Re: Brake grease!?

Post by skinnedknuckles »

Hey Northernly neighbor,
When I put my brakes together I used anti-seize on the bolt threads and hole that the bolt passes through the backing plate and a high temp brake grease on the metal to metal wear points ( where the shoe decks touched the backing plates , the shoe web touched the adjusting bolt and some on the felt washer ) . Note : a little goes a long way , you don't want it to get on the lining material.
Not to change the subject , but do you know of Tom over at Alpha-heaven over in Aniwa, Wis. ? He has a small party over there yearly ( I'm waiting to see dates for this year ) where a bunch of us military vehicle owners get together and eat, talk, brag, lie, shoot frozen onions out of a cannon, race m211 trucks and have a good time :D :?:
Paul in Janesville, Wisconsin
1953 m37 parts truck
1961 m37b1 finally going together and turning green
and a bunch of other green trucks that are taking over my driveway
MVPA and MVPG member
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: Brake grease!?

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Anti-seize is good on the anchor pins and it does work as expected in that application.

Any type of greasy lubricant anywhere else at contact points is not a good idea, a dry lube such as aerosol graphite, etc that will leave a non-sticky lubricating film is acceptable. What we have seen with this where a grease is used, it attracts the dust generated by the normal friction material (lining) wear. When the dust adheres to the grease as it readily will, it then creates a substance that is extremely abrasive, and greatly accelerates wear at all points it contacts.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com