DUALLY SET FOR M37

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

churtle
PFC
PFC

DUALLY SET FOR M37

Post by churtle »

If I wanted to mount dually's on the M37, what size of wheel stud would i use ?, my only familiarity with this setup is my personal F350 dually...thanks
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Re: DUALLY SET FOR M37

Post by powerwagontim »

The half ton Dodge trucks (1941 WC) had 7.50 x 16 tires. They were able to be dualed up with simple hollow studs that screwed onto the standard studs, holding the inner wheel on, and then the outer wheel went over that and was held in place by a thin walled lug nut. The Power Wagons and M37s use the same studs and nuts, but while it appears you could dual them, the sidewalls will rub, leading to a very rapid failure. Folks that have accomplished this use spacer plates etc. It isnt as easy as it seems.
Tim
Happiness is enjoying what you already have!
hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Post by hbb »

I have been working with this same thing and you can get the bud studs and nuts in both right and left threads at any place that will service over the road trucks those are very common, As Tim said the wheels were 16 inch bud wheels that are harder find and by chance I was lucky enough to end up with four on a chaise that I had purchased for parts. the bud wheels have a deeper off set and a smaller width split ring but when mounted on the axle the split ring will be to the inside and not visible. With 9.00 x 16 NDs mounted they will make a cool set up that was military correct.In the Photo archives of the search and recovery of the B24 Lady Be Good there was a M37 used by the Air Force with duels mounted. If the tires are aired up to 19-22 lbs they will go any where in the sand. :wink:
hb
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

I believe the deeper offset rims come from a trailer of some type.
Tim
churtle
PFC
PFC

Post by churtle »

so does that mean that i can get longer wheel studs and put on another set of tires? where can I find these longer wheel suds other than where you mentioned? would Duece wheel studs work?
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

They are not longer studs. The inner wheel is held on with a special hollow nut that is a couple inches long, and threaded on the outside too. It has a square end (now you know why your lug wrench has a square socket on one end.) The second rim slides over these nuts and is held in place with another nut, still put on with the same 1 1/2" wrench, just thinner walled. Hope that makes sense.
Tim
churtle
PFC
PFC

Post by churtle »

got it ......makes sense to me now.........thanks
Kurt Hirte
PFC
PFC

Post by Kurt Hirte »

Look at ebay # 390305077900 to see what they look like. I think the seller, Italylovers, is Vintage Power Wagons or someone affiliated w/ them. Kurt
Paul in Kempner, TX
PFC
PFC

Stop by. I'll show you what you need.

Post by Paul in Kempner, TX »

No need to comment on 9.00 x 16 tires on 5.5" rims with the narrow beads/narrow locking rings.

All the parts you need to run 9.00 x 16 tires on the correct 6.5" dual rims are here for you to look at.
Paul Cook at the Kempner Power Wagon Museum MVPA#27246

"You have to GO BUY the book before you can GO BY the book."
hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Post by hbb »

Paul in Kempner, TX wrote:No need to comment on 9.00 x 16 tires on 5.5" rims with the narrow beads/narrow locking rings.

All the parts you need to run 9.00 x 16 tires on the correct 6.5" dual rims are here for you to look at.

WHERE?
hb
Paul in Kempner, TX
PFC
PFC

Location of DUALLY SET FOR M37

As stated.

Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Location of DUALLY SET FOR M37

Post by Master Yota »

Paul in Kempner, TX wrote:As stated.
I think he means go to Texas and look at the museum... :roll:
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
churtle
PFC
PFC

Post by churtle »

Paul,

I will stop by next week, Im taking some well deserved leave.....CHRIS
Paul in Kempner, TX
PFC
PFC

Where?

Any post I place on this Forum includes my user ID, "Paul in Kempner, TX" in the heading and with my photo. When I close, my signature is " Paul Cook at the Kempner Power Wagon Museum MVPA#27246". In the identiry block under "Paul in Kempner, TX" my location is shown as "Kempner, TX". When someone clicks on my user ID, my Viewing Profile includes my name, my location, and the link to my Kempner Power Wagon Museum web site at http://www.texaspowerwagon.com .

Some Forum users do not disclose identifying information. I do not challenge their reasons. Possible they simply are not familiar with with the Forum features that deal with identifying information and that's why they cannot figure out how to find out that information .
I think he means go to Texas and look at the museum...

Driving directions to the Museum are on my web site. I hope he will make the 1085 mile trip from Buckeye, AZ, to Kempner. I really enjoy showing Museum visitors around and hope he will come and visit.

Earlier today, I responded to a question on the Power Wagon Advertiser site about the ladder that was a component for some modification kits for some M37's. I got my ladder - the correct one - and photographed it with pictures of the data plate and the instructions for using the ladder. I posted those picture to help the person who first asked the question. I really try to help visitors to the various Forums get accurate, informative answers.

In this case, I was offering "churtle" a chance to see all the correct parts needed at one time in one place. Apparently that would be too easy. It just happens that he drives past my Museum twice a day. Incidentally, there are three of use within four miles who have a total of six M37's. Two of us hang out together.

hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Post by hbb »

How audacious of me for not knowing that is how one would preclude to the to the pretensions for offering the intellect of ones mind past the the meager existence from which I reside! :shock:
Paul in Kempner, TX wrote:Any post I place on this Forum includes my user ID, "Paul in Kempner, TX" in the heading and with my photo. When I close, my signature is " Paul Cook at the Kempner Power Wagon Museum MVPA#27246". In the identity block under "Paul in Kempner, TX" my location is shown as "Kempner, TX". When someone clicks on my user ID, my Viewing Profile includes my name, my location, and the link to my Kempner Power Wagon Museum web site at http://www.texaspowerwagon.com .