truck running with sluggish mid range rpm

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

pryorfire48
PVT
PVT

truck running with sluggish mid range rpm

Post by pryorfire48 »

I got my m37 running the other day after having trouble getting it started. Took it for a drive some city and some highway. I have to feather the throttle on take off and she sounds great on high rpm. When traveling down the highway it's a dog but as the rpm and speed increase you can feel the power return. Any ideas what to look at or adjust?
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Re: truck running with sluggish mid range rpm

Post by Master Yota »

There are far better carb guru's than me on here, but the "feathering the throttle" part sounds alot like an accelerator pump issue...
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Post by hbb »

From what you are stating there could be several things going on, you will probably need too remove the carb and clean the varnished fuel out of the fuel passages and the pilot jet. When it is apart you will be able to check float levels and make the proper adjustments and inspect the accelerator piston repair as needed, the varnished fuel is most likely the culprit these carbs are fairly simple but demand clean fuel.Check the fuel filter for crud and basic inspections of the fuel system.most of the overhaul kits that are available come complete with accelerator piston and gaskets(they do not come with a float)and many of the brass component's.Midwest is where I gotten my carb kits from.

hb
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

You are describing an engine that is difficult to start, slow to accelerate yet runs well once up on speed and in the higher RPM ranges.

Before you start pulling stuff off make a few simple checks.

Open the distributor cap and check to see if the centrifugal advance is free to rotate and spring back. Or connect a timing light and verify the timing advances when you punch the accelerator. Check point gap.

If the timing automatic advance works and when you punch the throttle you get a very slow increase in RPM then look at the carb.

Has this problem jumped out of no where or have you made any changes or adjustments to the engine/ignition/fuel system lately?
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Post by hbb »

Wes is totally correct in his statements about not pulling the trigger on the carb with out checking the the obvious on the electrical, timing ,points and condenser,distributer condition and just a good inspection. I will ask the same question again did this problem just start up from nowhere.

These vehicles are so simple but so can-cankerous with shield ignition and the intake air horn that you cant see down the throat of the carb to see if there is fuel or not and how much.

What i am concurring is to do the basic checks before diving in half cocked and doing somthing that is not needed. :oops:

hb
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!
anthony manzella
SSGT
SSGT

Post by anthony manzella »

Mine was sum what the same way all it took was a timing light and a good old fashion adjustment on the carb now you can tell the differance . :lol: 8) .
Hit Duh Ground Runnin
pryorfire48
PVT
PVT

Post by pryorfire48 »

i had replaced the head gasket then had trouble getting the truck to start. I replaced the points and condenser and finally go her to run. She runs better at least she hits on all 6 cylinders now, but i had to feather the throttle before all the work.

I tried advancing the distributor when i got home and she perks right up. So right now i need to make sure that the timing is right and the distributor is tightened down.

I had made all of the checks to the timing advance when i pulled the distributor out. Everything is getting put back together right, vent lines connections and such, so i expect to make a few adjustments.
peter e mark
SSGT
SSGT

Post by peter e mark »

Sounds like a problem I had with my 52, but it turned out to be a clogged fuel line. Installed a new line from the tank all the way up to the fuel pump, and no more of that!...
1952 M37 W/W
Veteran of 82 ABN. Division Motor Pool 1969