Tire Chains

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

T.R.
PVT
PVT

Tire Chains

Post by T.R. »

Can anyone tell me where to get tire chains for the 9.00x16 ND tires and will they make a big difference in the snow. I live in CT and we had 18" of snow today, the truck did not have much traction. Sorry I did not take any pictures. Or should I be looking for better tires and what would you recommend. Any thoughts ? Thanks.
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Re: Tire Chains

Post by powerwagontim »

Hi TR,
Tire chains will make a ton of difference. Some say NDT stands for No Darn Traction. They have their pro's and cons, but any tire with chains will be a huge difference. Some of the Mil Surplus guys have them but shipping would be bad. Maybe one chain would fit into a large flat rate postage box, but you would still have about 30 in shipping a set. I would try a truck or agricultural / industrial tire shop first.
Tim
Happiness is enjoying what you already have!
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I think Memphis Equipment has them too....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

Or should I be looking for better tires and what would you recommend.
These tires have handled over 20" of snow this winter with no problems pulling round bales.
3.JPG
3.JPG (187.99 KiB) Viewed 1715 times
Frame serial Loc.JPG
Frame serial Loc.JPG (126.93 KiB) Viewed 1715 times
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

I HAVE DRIVEN MY M IN 20" FRESH SNOW AND MY CRAPY NDT PERFORMED GOOD, (THOUGH I THINK IT WAS THE WEIGHT OF THE VEHICLE THAT REALLY HELPED) BUT I FOUND THAT IN PLOWED, COMPACTED SNOW OF A COUPLE INCHES I WOULD GET STUCK UNLESS IF I DEFLATED THE TIRES A LOT. I MADE THE TIRE CHAINS MY SELF (ONE PAIR), AND THE FEW TIMES I USED THEM ON ICE THEY HELD TOGETHER WELL, AND THEY PERFORMED AWESOME. THAT WAS UNTIL ONE DAY, I WAS GOING HOME (VERY STEEP DOWNHILL APPROX 40%, SINGLE LANE) WITH A VERY THIN SURFACE OF ICE. BELIEVE IT OR NOT, MY CHAINS WOULD NOT EVEN LEAVE A MARK ON THAT ICE. MY TRUCK STARTED SLIDING DOWNHILL SORT OF SIDEWAYS, AND FINALLY IT STOPPED ON THE DITCH. I HAD TO PULL IT WITH THE WINCH OUT OF ITS OWN WAY, AND LEFT IT THERE FOR 3 DAYS UNTIL THE ICE MELTED. I HAD USED AN OLD FASHION WELDING MACHINE TO FABRICATE MY CHAINS. HAVE I HAD THE STATE OF THE ART ELECTRONIC WELDERS THAT EXIST NOW, I WOULD NOT HESITATE TO BUILD ANOTHER SET. :)
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

SNOW CHAINS ALSO WORK IN DEEP MUD AS SEEN IN THIS LINK. I HAD USED THEM A FEW TIMES ON AN OLD FIAT I HAD, BEFORE I GOT MY M37.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjztj29uo64

SPORTSMAN'S OUTLET AND NORTHERN TOOL ONCE USED TO OFFER THOSE CHAINS WITH A V BAR GRIP ON THE OUTER SURFACE. I HAVE NOT USED ANY OF THOSE, BUT I THINK THEY WOULD BE THE NEXT BEST THING AFTER THE "MATTRAKS". A FRIEND OF MINE HAR INCORPORATED A DESIGN SIMILAR TO THE ONE SHOWN IN THE VIDEO BELOW, AFTER MY GUIDANCE AND INPUT LOL. HE USED CHAIN AND "T" SHAPED BARS, AND MOUNTED IN ON THE REAR TIRES OF AN OLD DATSUN PICKUP HE HAS FOR FARM USE. THAT THING HAS TURNED TO "U N S T O P A B L E" LOL :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZg5kwqF06k
pwrwagonfire
SSGT
SSGT

Post by pwrwagonfire »

cuz wrote:
Or should I be looking for better tires and what would you recommend.
These tires have handled over 20" of snow this winter with no problems pulling round bales.
3.JPG
Frame serial Loc.JPG

Have these on our WM300 Power wagons at work, I LOVE them. Our trucks don't go out in the winter, but I have done my fair share of heavy off road driving with them (they are firetrucks) and always loved the performence of the tires.

My '52 M37 came with what appears to be the firestone version, they seems pretty decent (unfortunately mine are VERY dry rotted)
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

When considering chains, make sure you buy the type you need for the job at hand. Many people do not know that there are two basic types of chains...the ones with twisted links going across the tire's tread and the ones with square "V" shaped bars welded across some of those links. The "plain" ones work great in snow and mud. The ones with the little bars on the links will get you traction on ice and are great in straight-line travel. If you manage to get into a skid, however, those little bars can turn into little "ice skates" very quickly. If that happens, it is very important to keep the wheels turning so that they will grab another bite. If you step on the brake and stop the wheels from turning, you may end up reading your own rear license plate in a big hurry. ;)

To my friends and neighbors down here in Georgia, I'm just sharing some of that Yankee winter driving expertise I brought down here with me. Unfortunately, I forgot to leave the snow and ice back up there in Illinois. :(
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

Lifer, I run those v-bar chains on my slightly lifted 4runner for hunting and early season skiing. They are almost like a paddle wheel for mud and snow, and I have had great luck with them on water ice above timberline (11,500') here in Colorado. I think the problem with any chain is when the links are not on the bottom of the tire and it is locked up. Then you have slippery rubber in contact with the ice when a second before the steel was biting in nicely. Keeping the wheels rolling is the key to good control.
TAK824
PVT
PVT

Post by TAK824 »

T.R. wrote:Can anyone tell me where to get tire chains for the 9.00x16 ND tires and will they make a big difference in the snow. I live in CT and we had 18" of snow today, the truck did not have much traction. Sorry I did not take any pictures. Or should I be looking for better tires and what would you recommend. Any thoughts ? Thanks.
T.R. If you are still interested in tire chains, I have two sets (pairs) for the 9:00X16 ND tires. I just bought an M-37, and when I started cleaning out the storage compartment under the bed, I found the chains. They appear to be either unused or very little use as there is no wear spots on anything. They have the usual surface rust from moisture in the air, but don't they all? I will not be using the chains, as here in western Oregon, snow is pretty much unheard of. I just saw a single set of chains on another forum sell for $125.00. If you want both these pairs, I'd sell them for $200 for both pairs/all four chains, plus shipping, which would most likely be by the USPS flat rate priority mail. PM me and I can send pictures if you like.

TK
Terry K.
1953 USAF M-43
Hillsboro OR
Vietnam Vet, USN
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Post by Nickathome »

Try this place;

http://www.tirechain.com/9.00-16LT.htm

I think the LT stands for light truck, but they may work. Only problem with this place is their products come from a certain large asian country with the initials C.H.I.N.A. Their service is exemplary though, and if you live in their yellow zone near their location, you will literally get your order the next day. I have a set of their full chains for my F150, but I haven't had to use them yet.
Rick C
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Rick C »

What part of CT are you in??? I'm a stones throw from the CT border...
Rick
T.R.
PVT
PVT

Post by T.R. »

Rick C wrote:What part of CT are you in??? I'm a stones throw from the CT border...
Rick
Hello neighbor, I am located in lower Fairfield County.
T.R.
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

ZGjethro wrote: I think the problem with any chain is when the links are not on the bottom of the tire and it is locked up. Then you have slippery rubber in contact with the ice when a second before the steel was biting in nicely. Keeping the wheels rolling is the key to good control.
I TOO THINK THAT THE SLIPPERY PREDIGAMENTS WITH TIRE CHAINS OCCUR WHEN THE CHAIN "GAPS" ON THE WHEEL TOUCH THE GROUND. BACK IN EUROPE, "KONING" WHICH PRODUCES SNOW TIRES MAKES AN "X" PATTERN ON THEM SO THERE IS ALWAYS CHAIN INBETWEEN THE TIRE AND GROUND AS THE TIRE REVOLVES. I MODIFIED MY ORIGINALLY HAND MADE CHAINS WITH AN ADDITIONAL LENGTH OF CHAIN RUNNING ON THE CENTER OF THE PERIMETER IN A ZIG ZAG PATERN. I FOUND THAT TO BE QUITE AN IMPROVMENT OVER MY ORIGINAL SIMPLE DESIGN. :D