M37 and PW parts needed

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

achiem37
PFC
PFC

M37 and PW parts needed

Post by achiem37 »

I am trying to purchase some M37 and PW parts from Ab Linn in North Carolina. I had a price and shipping costs all worked out ( around $250 US) but he will not send them to me because I'm not a US citizen. Can someone order the parts for me and send them to a mailing address in Niagara Falls NY so I can use them on my trucks. I need these parts to complete the transfer case overhauls. There will be a gratuity added to the costs for the one who helps me out. I can pay by Pay Pal or US money order ahead of time. All is above board , just trying to get some needed parts up here in Canada. Terry let me know if anyone can help out..

t__acheson@sympatico.ca
hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Re: M37 and PW parts needed

Post by hbb »

it's not worth the Felony and twenty years in prison for an illegal export! you are not going to find many that will.
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

FELLONY? ILLEGAL EXPORT? IT IS CANADA FOR GOD'S SAKE NOT CUBA. I JUST MAILED THROUGH USPS $500 DOLLARS WORTH OF HARLEY DAVIDSON PARTS TO GREECE WITH FULL INSURANCE YESTERDAY. PERHAPS I CAN HELP YOU. SENT ME A PM IF YOU HAVE NOT FOUND A SOLUTION TO YOUR PROBLEM.
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
snowdad
SGT
SGT

Post by snowdad »

I thought that NAFTA did away with all that garbage! It does stand for North American Free Trade Agreement and last time I checked Canada was part of North America!
Maybe someone can enlighten me. I am sure that a few M37 parts are no more danger to National Security than some of our high elected officials.
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

The primary issue is that some suppliers - not only related to M37 parts, but accross the board - do not want the hassle of dealing with not only the exchange rate on the dollar, but the additional paperwork of cross border shipping. For some, its just too much of an inconvenience to even go to the post office to ship parts that way...
Out here on the west coast there are several companies in US border towns that accept shipments from US stores and act as a holding depot for us Canadian customers (Ship Happens, and Hagens of Blaine are two that I'm aware of). All we need to do is cross the border, and pickup our order, saving alot of money in import fee's and such (the brokerage fee's charged by UPS are painful at best!)
Anything can be shipped from one private residence to another cross border. That isn't an issue, nor a felony on either side. It strictly comes down to an unwillingness to do paperwork. I would try a different vendor personally, but thats just me. I've ordered and shipped alot of parts from the US, and never had a problem finding another vendor that carried the same product, who was willing to work at customer service for thier international customers.

As for NAFTA - its a joke that only Canadians get... :roll:
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

Master Yota wrote:
As for NAFTA - its a joke that only Canadians get... :roll:
PERHAPS MEXICANS TOO... :roll:
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
DJ
SSGT
SSGT

Post by DJ »

Try John at Midwest Military, I think he ships out of country. I know of a guy on the M715 board that helped get parts shipped to Canada. Also know of a guy that shipped some M715 parts to England. If you still need help send me a email ,and I can help you get the guys name .

PS I got a M38 rear seat from Canada about a month ago.
m15256
CPL
CPL

Post by m15256 »

The last time I checked Brian Asbury in Ontario had quite a large stock of MV parts, including M-37.
RICK
M 152 CDN
M 56 (V41)
achiem37
PFC
PFC

Post by achiem37 »

I tried Brian Asbury up here in Canada but he has no parts. I ordered some from VPW and also from John at Midwest. Both have some of the parts but not all. Ab would have been the easiet and cheapest but I can't get him to send them to me or a US mailing address. Oh well... Terry , PS thanks for the suggestions and yes I thought free trade was supposed to make it easier to move materials across the borders...
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

achiem37 wrote:I tried Brian Asbury up here in Canada but he has no parts. I ordered some from VPW and also from John at Midwest. Both have some of the parts but not all. Ab would have been the easiet and cheapest but I can't get him to send them to me or a US mailing address. Oh well... Terry , PS thanks for the suggestions and yes I thought free trade was supposed to make it easier to move materials across the borders...
Did he give you any reason's for declining your order? I'm just curious to know what his logic is.
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
M37UK
SSGT
SSGT

Post by M37UK »

DJ wrote:Try John at Midwest Military, I think he ships out of country. I know of a guy on the M715 board that helped get parts shipped to Canada. Also know of a guy that shipped some M715 parts to England. If you still need help send me a email ,and I can help you get the guys name .

PS I got a M38 rear seat from Canada about a month ago.

M-Series, Midwest and VPW have all sent parts to me in Scotland with no problems whatsoever. Some guys are just to lazy to do the paperwork so its their loss.
Stu

1952 Dodge M37 with 1952 M101 Trailer
MVT UK
SMVG Scotland
achiem37
PFC
PFC

Post by achiem37 »

Master Yoda : I had worked out the parts list and got a deal together with the shipping and everything to a mail drop centre at Niagara Falls NY. When I went to pay with PayPal he checked and found that I was Canadian. The words in the email say that he would not ship parts to me because I'm not a US resident. That's all that was said no other explaination. I did contact John at Midwest and ordered some parts but he did not have both of the transfer case shift rods that Ab had. Beside they were only $ 5.00 each from Ab .. I don't know why he won't send to a non US resident but I have heard stories that he can be a little crusty to people....
hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Post by hbb »

[When you start asking for someone in another country to buy and ship you parts and you dont think the feds will get involved go ahead and try it out and see where you get your self and tell us about it! Anything that is related to US military surplus you run the risk unless you are a registered exporter.
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!
achiem37
PFC
PFC

Post by achiem37 »

The last time I checked the M37 trucks had been removed from active service. I seriously doubt that selling NOS parts from 50 years ago is a federal criminal matter. If that's the way your government works then i'm sad to say your deep troubles my friend. The parts were to be shipped to a mailbox centre in Niagara Falls NEW YORK USA.. not across the border. Never did I say they would be shipped to your northern neighbours. I have spent $1000's of US dollars on parts from Midwest, VPW and numerous other EBAY people who were selling NOS military parts. Never has any of them refused to sell parts to me in Canada or overseas. Never has the FBI or CIA or whoever is the latest friendly forces come knocking on my doors. Ask numerous good vendors ie Midwest, Vermont Commercial salvage,VPW about your North Carolina parts dealer. Nobody says anything bad but there is a hint of a deeper issue that goes unspoken that even a igloo living hick like me can pick up on. Some people just don't want to be bothered. I can say that 99% of my dealings with US parts vendors has been awesome, great service , fast delivery and fair prices. I can't believe your government has you so scared of doing business. This is a modern crazy world but you guys are withdrawing into yourselves and that's not good..
outsider
PFC
PFC

Post by outsider »

I suspect that AB bought his parts supply directly from the US government, and when he did he probably had to sign a statement promising not to sell these parts out of the US. Which is common practice for ex-military inventory. So unless he has an exporters license he can end up in big legal trouble if he sells to you! Weather you like it or not it's the law. Now the other vendors you mentioned may either have a exporters license, originally bought their stock from another country, or don't care, but you cannot knock AB for trying to obey the law.
Steve