Building a retro M37

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Re: Building a retro M37

Post by m-37Bruce »

Have you checked for head, knee & steering wheel clearance yet?
BTW, Looking great!
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

Well this is the new floor. I was thinking of putting sound deadener on the floor under the carpet. What do you guys think?

this is the floor before

here I built a new rear doghouse support. Note I got rid of that nasty lip the old one had.

Built a new front support. I made it flat instead.

so thats that. Next I have to fix the broken cold air scoop. hinges are broken.
Last edited by retiredguy on Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don't procrasinate! Do it now!
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Looks good!

I'm sorry, but did you say carpet?
In an M37?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A company called Lizzard skin makes an affordable spray on sound deadener, you may want to investigate that over an insulation type. It seems to get good reviews from the hotrod crowd... They also make a spray on heat shield that is compatible with the sound barrier.
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

just threw the idea out there. I didn't know if there was anything else to quiet things up. The cummins 12 valve is loud. I don't mind hearing the cummins but I don't want to yell to speak over it.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

I'm thinking of putting the sound damping on the floor on the underside. Just have to find some stuff that hold up to the elements and then just a rubber mat on the inside. Or maybe the sound damping inside and then a rubber mat much like the CUCV winterization kit.... Just a thought. But hey it's your truck if you want 2 inch shag carpet go for it!... :lol:
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

Na, I'm past liking shag, it's a 70's thing. I just didn't know of any other product that did sound deadening. I thought the dynamat stuff was the only thing. What I have read so far on the Lizzard skin sounds promising including the option of paint over top. I would like a rubber floor mat though. I have different patches of steel on the floor that need to be covered up. If one could get a rubber mat to cover all that would be nice but you would have the seams to cover up. Like I mean I would like to have a seamless mat, but I don't think anyone makes one that is close. The only question I have is, is Lizzardskin durable enough for under the wheel well. Will rocks beat it off? Or should I go with under coating under the wheel wells? Maybe box liner would be the best where rocks can hit. Since my fenders will be black on the outside maybe black box liner will be best under the wells. Also question I had was maybe I should put on Por-15 before the Lizzardskin and the box liner. Sorry guys if it seems that I am rambling. Just have a lot of questions. Any comments?
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

If your fenders are in good shape, follow the directions for the box liner and install that way. Never mind the POR15, as you'd just have to sand and scuff most of it off for the box liner anyway. I would use the lizzard skin on both sides of the fire wall and floor, then use the same box liner material on the inside of the floor as well, then cover with a rubber mat. Some padding on the fire wall (inside) would help with sound as well. I belive that the dodge trucks also use a sound mat on the outside of the firewall too. I just wouldn't put anything that can absorb water in the foot wells. Stick to the rubber mat there. A closed cell foam rubber mat (like an anti-fatigue floor mat for standing on) might also work double duty as a sound deadener and floor mat...
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

If you use a 1/2" to 3/4" rubber mat cut separately for each floor section and glued to the floor with a thorough coating of a quality rubber to steel adhesive like 3M's you'll have sound and heat insulation that will not trap water under it. The foil faced reinforced firewall sound deadener and insulating sheets work very well on the vertical surfaces and can be found at auto racing and aircraft vendors web sites.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

If I wanted it really quiet, I'd consider doing the underside of the cowl as well as inside each door. The doors don't require the full surface to be covered, but at least a large portion in the center of the panel will do a good job. If you've got the hard top, then insulate it too, as well as the back panel of the cab...
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
windage

Post by windage »

Holy Smokes! That is an awesome project! The best of both worlds..now if only Dodge would take the hint (like they are doing with the new muscle car look).
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Wow, I have not been to this thread for a while. Great progress & workmanship, looking good :)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

So I have been banging out dents, replacing rust pitted metal, fixing the hinge plates that fell down when I pulled the door off, moved the axle forward 3.5 inches and instaalled the shifter for the transmission. here are the shifter pics.

Last edited by retiredguy on Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Now that is a little different? Couldn't you find the "Push-Button Drive"? :P
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Dodge used that dash-mounted shifter on a lot of vehicles...especially the A-series pickups/vans and on all Dodge-powered motorhomes. It takes a little getting used to, but it's really quite convenient once you adapt yourself to it. I have to admit that it looks a little strange on an M37 dash, though. (I wouldn't want one of the push-button selectors, myself. Too many problems with sticking, kinked, or frayed cables.)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

HMMM... INTERESTING APPROACH ON THAT SHIFTER. LEFT SIDE OF THE STEERING WHEEL. BUT AS LONG AS IT WORKS, I AM WITH YOU ON THIS ONE :D . AS FOR THE SOUND INSULATION, I THINK IT WILL BE NECESSARY. THE 5.9 CUMMINS IS KINDA LOUD IN MY EXPERIENCE. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK MY FRIEND :D
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.