Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Re: Building a retro M37

Post by retiredguy »

lowerd the suspension. still plenty high enough for big tires. brought the cab tub home yesterday. I will post pics on that soon.
Last edited by retiredguy on Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Don't procrasinate! Do it now!
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

did a test fit on the cab. I like what I see. Looks like I can get rid of the hump in the floor! Next I need to mock up the front end and rad support to check to see if I have fan clearance. I may lift the rear of the transmission so that the motor sits straighter. I really like the idea of a flat floor pan though. Could also put in a cable shift system for the transfer case and mount the control in the dash. It would give the floor a real clean look. Just a thought.

Last edited by retiredguy on Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

WOW!!! LOOKS NICE. I ASSUME YOU WILL INSTALL BIGGER TIRES RIGHT? IYOU MIGHT HAVE AN ISSUE FITTING THE RADIATOR/FAN DUE TO THE LENGHT OF THE CUMMINS. WORST CASE SCENARIO, GO WITH ELECTRIC FAN IN FRONT OF THE RADATIOR. I LIKE THE FLAT FLOOR IDEA. BESIDES THE TRANSFER SHIFTERS ON THE DASH, YOU MAY ALSO USE THE RAM STEERING COLUMN/WHEEL AND HAVE THE TRANNY SHIFTER THERE TOO. IF YOU ALSO USE THE RAM BENCH/CENTER CONSOLE SEAT, YOU WILL HAVE AN ACTUAL THREE SEATER. PLUS I FIND THE CENTER CONSOLE VERY USEFUL. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK :)
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

actually I'm going to mock up the front end next. That way nothing ig tied down and I can still move the cab forward or rearward if I have to. I allowed for that when I cut the frame. I made it 3" longer than my actual measurement. If I have to my last resort is to stretch the front end somewhat. cut n weld, cut n weld.
Last edited by retiredguy on Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

It's coming along good. Engine fits nice. just slid the rad 4" forward. My son had this intercooler laying around, don't know what it fits, but seem to fit the M37 nice! had to lift the tranny 3" to level the engine. So much for the flat floor. It will have a very minor hump only.

Last edited by retiredguy on Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

I am going to check to see if I can put a mechanical fan on too.

Last edited by retiredguy on Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Plan on a different radiator - the orriginal units don't take to well to pressure. Plus don't forget to mount the rad a little lower now that you've moved it forward so that the top tank will clear the roll in the hood. Looking good otherwise!
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

I suspected the rad might be too tall. I am using this one to mock up so I see how much lower I need to go. I was planning to get an aluminum rad built from the sample I have here. I will cut the tank, bash it down etc. what ever it takes to get a proper mock up rad. I see the grille will have to be changed too. I will build it out to clear coolers and what ever else. now that i can see where the body will be I can build mounts for the cab and running boards.
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

just wanted to add that the 6 blade fan off the old engine is now on the cummins with 1 " spare to the rad!
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

IT IS COMING OUT NICE!!! I AM GLAD THAT YOU FIT EVERYTHING TOGETHER IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT. IN REGARDS TO THE FLOOR HUMP, CAN'T YOU LOWER BOTH FRONT AND REAR ENGINE MOUNTS TO LEVEL THE ENGINE/TRANNY A BIT LOWER? HAVE YOU DECIDED ON THE COLOR YET?
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

The engine cannot be lowered at all because of 2 reasons. One is the fan is lower than I'd like it on the rad and second the oil pan is plenty close to the front diff now. I'd really like to leave the engine stting in the frame in it's stock location to make it more repair friendly down the road. The cab has to be lifted up 2 inches because it is sitting on the frame at the rear (for mock up purposes). I will be mounting the cab next so I will be dealing with the "floor plan" as per say. I also see that the fron axle is more to the rear than I'd like it so I may have to move it forward on the spring to axle mounts, either by springs with an offset center hole or just to build an offset centering block. All in due time. cab mounts are next priority.
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

As far as a radiator, I would look at using the one in my build thread, I posted teh part number up in there somewhere, along with some pictures of it towards the end fo the thread. great radiator, fits perfect, and the electric fan it comes with can be configured to push or pull, and moves 3300CFM. As far as the intercooler, I would look at an air to water unit to keep packaging simple.
NebM37
PVT
PVT

Post by NebM37 »

I like this concept...enough I think I might do some leg work myself and mock it up a little. I have been considering this option as well as just gutting the M37's frame of cross members and seeing what can be done. But admittedly this way sure looks like less intense fabrication work is required.

Stretching the front axle forward a little on that late model Dodge frame would require a bit of thinking. That said it would also cure some issues. Move it a few inches and you now can cross steer it with no cross-member clearance issues. I have no idea how far you need to move it, but on my 85 1 ton I moved mine forward 2" via new custom springs and it's not been a issue in 100K hard miles. If I did it again I would use longer springs probably.

For the project I intend to build, the idea of a 6bt/Nv4500, 1 ton axles modern brakes/steering would make for a fun M37. Looking forward to more updates/pics

NoRM
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

so now the cab mounts are complete. I used the old M37 mounts and adapted them to the frame. This is so I can use the same style running board setup.

Last edited by retiredguy on Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.