Building a retro M37

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Re: Building a retro M37

Post by retiredguy »

m-37Bruce wrote:In the TM, it shows how to adjust the windows, rubber or wooden mallet a 2" X 4" as I recall?

This is how my door arm checks turned out for me.
http://www.g741.org/photogallery/main.php?g2_itemId=562
I got them to got up and down relativly easily. They have a very crude roller system on the bottom. Needs lots of grease. I saw your limiters. My originals were so beat up and the doors were really badly damaged so I decided to weld them shut and install these. Straps are a wee bit short, the doors don't quite open to 90 degrees but good enough for now. the seal on the windshield (for the door glass) has one end square and the other end tapered. Am I correct in saying the tapered end goes up?
Don't procrasinate! Do it now!
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

retiredguy wrote:
m-37Bruce wrote:In the TM, it shows how to adjust the windows, rubber or wooden mallet a 2" X 4" as I recall?

This is how my door arm checks turned out for me.
http://www.g741.org/photogallery/main.php?g2_itemId=562
I got them to got up and down relativly easily. They have a very crude roller system on the bottom. Needs lots of grease. I saw your limiters. My originals were so beat up and the doors were really badly damaged so I decided to weld them shut and install these. Straps are a wee bit short, the doors don't quite open to 90 degrees but good enough for now. the seal on the windshield (for the door glass) has one end square and the other end tapered. Am I correct in saying the tapered end goes up?
Are you speaking of the gasket that attaches to the windscreen bottom?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

I was working on the seal that goes up and down at the very end of the windscreen. The one that the door window hits when door is closed.
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

OK, I think the longer lip side goes on the inside, we are talking about the felted rubber, right?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

Yes that is the one. I kinda figured that out but what i didn't is the ends. One one is squared off and the other end is cut at an angle
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

There is a left and a right. the mitered enis the top and there is a horizontal one on the top frame which will also be mitered making the corner.
Tim
Happiness is enjoying what you already have!
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

powerwagontim wrote:There is a left and a right. the mitered enis the top and there is a horizontal one on the top frame which will also be mitered making the corner.
Tim
Tim has it right, miter the top corners, bottoms flat in the channel.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

Thanks guys. My old ones were non existant so it was hard to tell.
PWRWGN NJ
PVT
PVT

Post by PWRWGN NJ »

Did you use the wiring harness that was already on the truck, or aftermarket (i.e. Painless)? Combo of both? Im trying to locate a harness that will work in conjunction with the existing platform. Thinking a 73-87 chevy truck will probably do the job.
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

I used no pre-made wirinf harness. I hand wired it all from scratch out of my head and used color coded wires and wrote down what wire went where. The firewall connectors had numbered pins so I documented each pin number and what color it was and what it serviced.
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

Here is the finished LH inner fender cover. It is to cover the area that the M37 inner fender did not cover (area between frame and inner fender) Doing the RH side now. Question next is : I there a seal between the cab roof and the mating surface? (rear of the cab tub and the top of the windscreen). Or do I put a generic one in?

Last edited by retiredguy on Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

retiredguy wrote:Question next is : I there a seal between the cab roof and the mating surface? (rear of the cab tub and the top of the windscreen). Or do I put a generic one in?
TM 9-2855-7 Hard-Top Closure Kit
Page #6 Says to apply a quantity of sealant along the top of the windshield frame and side supports. Nothing mentioned about a gasket in the TM.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

I'm kinda reluctant to use a sealant because if you want to remove the top for a week or two in the summer it may be glued down too hard. I thought I might try that thin foam gasket material but in the case of the top of the windshield the way you have to install the top it may destroy the gasket anyway. Looks like you have to hook the top into the top of the windshield frame and then slide it rearward into place . that sliding would push the gasket out. I guess I'll have to use trial and error method.
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

You may want to find a local RV dealer, they have a closed cell foam gasket that has a thin plastic skin on one side that may do exactly what you are looking for.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

retiredguy wrote:Here is the finished LH inner fender cover. It is to cover the area that the M37 inner fender did not cover (area between frame and inner fender) Doing the RH side now. Question next is : I there a seal between the cab roof and the mating surface? (rear of the cab tub and the top of the windscreen). Or do I put a generic one in?

Is that a rubber sheet or plastic? How is it attached?
M37s are HMMWV in my world!