Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Tyroma
PFC
PFC

Canadian M37 Hardtop removal...

Post by Tyroma »

Hey Gang...

With all this nice weather we've been having, I have been missing the convertible like qualityies of my old 67 M38A1. So, I have decided to take the hardtop off my M37. I know that there are bolts along the back, and some more bolts of some type along the top of the windshield. Just wondering if anyone could provide any tips on the best way to go about removing it.

Thanks!

Ty
paul
SGT
SGT

Re: Canadian M37 Hardtop removal...

Post by paul »

dont forget the u bolt in the corner behind the door! the best tool would be a ratchet wrench
Tyroma
PFC
PFC

Post by Tyroma »

Hey Gang...

Well, took the top off today...what a difference! Now it reminds me of my M38A1. Top wasn't too bad to get off, I remember the U bolts...but I wish someone had told me about the J bolts right above them! Didn't find that until I fought the top to get it off! Arg!

Was a bit rusty under the top...I don't think it's ever been off! The original paint was on the windshield top. So I wire-brushed the rust off, taped off a line, and painted the rust with extra paint I have.

Looking forward to driving windshield down...better dig out the goggles!

Ty
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

I know that when I removed the top from my previous M37 the cab was alot quieter to ride in! No more "big tin speaker box" on sunny days.... :mrgreen:
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
Tyroma
PFC
PFC

Post by Tyroma »

[quote="Master Yota"]I know that when I removed the top from my previous M37 the cab was alot quieter to ride in! No more "big tin speaker box" on sunny days.... :mrgreen:[/quote]

After going for a nice drive yesterday, I agree 100% with that assessment! It no longer sounds like the engine is coming through the firewall!

I do like the top, in that it is correct for my Canadian truck and makes it different that the US trucks, but now it feels much more utilitarian and military. Now I have to work on cleaning up and painting the rails on the top before it goes back on in the fall.

Ty