Tire mounting suggestions anyone?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

sunsetoutpost2
PVT
PVT

Tire mounting suggestions anyone?

Post by sunsetoutpost2 »

I'm ready to mount the new tires on blasted and painted rims. Any words of wisdom?
sunsetoutpost
Josh
SFC
SFC

Re: Tire mounting suggestions anyone?

Post by Josh »

yeah... Dont.

Take tehm some place with a split ring tire cage and have them do it. You'll live longer. :lol:
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Josh wrote:yeah... Dont.

Take tehm some place with a split ring tire cage and have them do it. You'll live longer. :lol:
...And who says young people don't have any wisdom?! :mrgreen:
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Post by hbb »

Just make sure that Goober is not the one handling your fresh paint. And like has already been said make sure they use a cage. Have the tires balanced after mounting it will keep any possible shake out of the front end between 45 and 50 mph.I balanced mine and it took the shake out and you will be amazed how much weight they will take to balance, but I do need to tighten up the idler arm a bit!
hb
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Post by Nickathome »

You can mount the tire yourself, without a tire cage if you follow some simple precautions. If you have a compressor, buy one of those self locking air nozzles. Take the tire/rim into the yard or some safe place, a distance away from your house or other people. Lay the tire/rim upright, attach the nozzle, then go back to the compressor and slowly increase the regulator about 10PSI at a time until you get to the 40PSI you need. You can stop filling and check from a safe distance to see that the split ring (not split rim) is seating properly. There is really no need to view this as a game of Russian Roulette so long as you use your head and keep a safe distance away while filling. Yeah if you decide to stand over the tire/rim while its filling, then go ahead and pull out that revolver and the one bullet, but when doing from a safe distance you won't have any problems as long as all seats properly. If you feel so inclined wrap that heavy chain around the tire.....
Oddjob
SGT
SGT

Post by Oddjob »

I was told by one old timer to drag the tire under a old junked truck to fill it up and fill from a safe distance... You always hear bad things about split rings but I've always been told it's some of the seasoned vet's that get it... Too much over confidence... and that's where it's going to bite you in the ass...

OSHA has some nice pic's from split ring accidents... :x
Last edited by Oddjob on Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Post by Nickathome »

Oddjob wrote:I was told by one old timer to drag the tire under a old junked truck to fill it up and fill from a safe distance... You always hear bad things about split rims but I've always been told it's some of the seasoned vet's that get it... Too much over confidence... and that's where it's going to bite you in the ass...

OSHA has some nice pic's from split rim accidents... :x
Lets not spread false information either......They're not split rims, the rims onf M37's use a split retaining ring, two different animals......
Oddjob
SGT
SGT

Post by Oddjob »

Nickathome wrote:
Oddjob wrote:I was told by one old timer to drag the tire under a old junked truck to fill it up and fill from a safe distance... You always hear bad things about split rims but I've always been told it's some of the seasoned vet's that get it... Too much over confidence... and that's where it's going to bite you in the ass...

OSHA has some nice pic's from split rim accidents... :x
Lets not spread false information either......They're not split rims, the rims onf M37's use a split retaining ring, two different animals......
Corrected meant split ring... oops... :oops:

The one thing I don't understand is they want you to get an even bead all the way around which I'd think you'd want the tire and rim lying flat yet the inflation cages that are used they roll the tire in...

Perhaps a good tutorial on how to mount the tire properly would be in order... I myself have 10 tires to mount... :?
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

The Army already for saw the need for personal instruction and created the manuals for it.

TM 31-200 1942
BF Goodrich Army Training School Manual "Care & Maint. of Combat Tires, casings, tubes, valves & Beadlocks. 1945
TM 9-2810-200-20 Organizational Care, Maint. & Repair Pneumatic Tires, Inner Tubes and Radial Tires. 1977
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

One lesson I learned was to wait until the tires are mounted before painting the exterior of the rims. I used a deadblow hammer and prybar to install my ring but it chipped up the paint during install. I don't foresee you putting them together without some scratches. It takes some elbow grease to put the rings on. The first tire took me an hour, by the fourth I had it down to 15 minutes. Sorry, but I have forgotten any tricks i learned to save time as it was two years ago. I did write somebody here a step by step after i did mine, but I can't recall who it was.
The rims are Goodyear LTS design, not a true "split rim" that are famous for accidents. Most shops will still shy away from these, although they were designed to be changed in the field. There is a good info on these wheels on Cabell Garbees sight.
Unless you are very careless, your rims/rings are not in good shape, or you are not mechanically inclined, the danger is minimum. Make sure the ring is engaged fully in it's slot and air up slowly . Before the bead seats make sure your valve stem is in alignment. I wrapped a chain around the tire just incase. Of course do not keep your face over the tire while inflating. Work slow and careful and you will be fine 8)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

This is how I did mine...

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Sal on Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
MikeOneSix
SSGT
SSGT

Post by MikeOneSix »

Sal wrote:This is how I did mine...

:mrgreen:
Sal
What shade of OD is your rim painted? Is that the Army Jeep parts "late WW II semi gloss"?

Matt
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

Yep. You have a good eye Matt. I believe Its also known as #23070 if you get it from Rapco. 8)
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
MikeOneSix
SSGT
SSGT

Post by MikeOneSix »

Sal wrote:Yep. You have a good eye Matt. I believe Its also known as #23070 if you get it from Rapco. 8)
That's the color I want to paint my truck 8) .
Matt
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
sunsetoutpost2
PVT
PVT

Post by sunsetoutpost2 »

Got the tires mounted yesterday, did it myself, very easy. A little air in the inner tube to insert into the tire, then the boot. Used some tire mounting lube on the beads. The split ring went on easy with a 2x4 and 3 lb sledge. I used two 3" ratchet straps around the tire, then inflated. The tire bead does not pop up onto the rim like an tubeless rim, just eases up slowly. First tire took 45 minutes, second only 15.
sunsetoutpost