ladder for M-37?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Joe
CPL
CPL

ladder for M-37?

Post by Joe »

Did they ever make a boarding ladder for the M-37? If so does anyone have a picture or dimensions of it?
N1VSM
SSGT
SSGT

Post by N1VSM »

They did make one - you can sometimes find them at swap meets. I got mine off ePay for $30 (!), but that was a steal. I can get pix & dimensions, but it will take me a while - won't have time until late this week. Maybe someone else can chime in? I know I've seen pix in someone's album ...
You can trust your mother, but you can't trust your ground.
rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Post by rixm37 »

I made mine from an M35 ladder. Just cut off a couple of steps. It might be easier to find that one than a specific M37 ladder.
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506
wvcharlie
CPL
CPL

boarding ladder

Post by wvcharlie »

I bought a boarding ladder from a boating supply company. While not stock, the top lays flat on the folded down tail gate and it has hand holds that extend almost two feet above the tail gate. This works real well when loading elderly veterans or small children. I just cut it to length and sprayed it OD. It is made of aluminum so it is very light and easy to handle.
The "civilians" would never know the difference and it is much safer.
Charlie
64 M38A1
65 M37
68 M725
101st ABN Veteran
DJ
SSGT
SSGT

Post by DJ »

I made one out of 2x6 lumber,on the order of a ladder with 2x6's layed flat for the steps. Made a pair of hooks to hook on the tailgate,works great. Painted OD ,matches the Od troop seats.

DJ

Less than $20.00 for the whole thing.
N1VSM
SSGT
SSGT

Pictures

Post by N1VSM »

Here are a few pictures of my ladder, complete with CARC (oh, goodie!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41037800@N ... 767776665/
You can trust your mother, but you can't trust your ground.
Joe
CPL
CPL

Post by Joe »

Hi,

I found another ladder that fit much better and I just looked at your photos and I think it's the same model that you have. Do you know if this was THE ladder for the M-37 or what it's made for? I didn't get the stanchion(s) for it but it has some rope attached to it and the other end of the rope is tied to what looks like metal corks with loops on top of them. Do you know what those are for? I'm thinking that it might be the top of the stanchion.
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

They are common Como Shelter ladders. I've seen them used in the M880 series with shelters and the Humvee with shelter.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

The ropes with metal corks are safety tie-backs that attach to the truck's lifting/towing shackles to keep the ladder from slipping off of the tailgate when tentioned correctly. The metal corks are adjusters and lock the rope when tight, holding the ladder in place.

Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
Joe
CPL
CPL

Post by Joe »

Ok got it. Thanks. Now I just need to make a stanchion to replace the missing one and make a bail to replace one that's missing.