Jeep Panels Plus products, need advice

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Rich Johnson
PVT
PVT

Jeep Panels Plus products, need advice

Post by Rich Johnson »

My M37 Comm truck was rear ended on the freeway last night. I need a new tail gate, right rear fender, right side bed, right tail light and bracket and rear cross memeber. The Pontiac Vibe that hit me is probably totaled.
My question is, Jeep panels plus makes a tail gate and rear cross member. That would really help me alot. Are they the same gage steel that the M37 OEM parts are? Are they straight and true or are they like the old Phillipines Jeep repro junk.

Got a quote that the bed side alone will take 20-30 hours to pound out but can defineately be repiared. Wait till the adjuster sees my truck and heres that!
Rich
Those who enjoy freedom must endeavor to preserve it.
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Jeepanels plus.....

Post by Nickathome »

My tailgate is from Sheldon at Jeepanels plus. To answer your question regarding gage thickness, I am going to say no, its not quite the same thickness. Are they straight? Define straight. Mine did have a slight bow in the bottom tube portion, its very slight and does not interfere with the working of the gate. I can't comment on the Phillipines aspect, as I have no experience with any products from that part of the world, at least from an MV standpoint.

Overall I am very happy with my tailgate, and if you are not looking for exacting duplicate parts, you will be too. Yes, an expert will pick it out as a repro, but I doubt the layman could.

You can check with Mid West Military, and VPW as I hear they also sell repro tailgates, however I have never seen one of theirs and have no idea who makes them. Although everything I have bought from John at Midwest has been top shelf, so you would do well to inquire from him.
DDoyle
PVT
PVT

sheet metal bed parts

Post by DDoyle »

I'm not knocking Jeep Panels, I've got no experience with them, but I'll second the comment about calling John at Midwest Military. I THINK I heard him mention at Iola that he has reproduced the tailgate. All the repro items I've bought from him were perfect duplicates.

Hope you faired better in this than your truck did.

Regards,
David Doyle
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

John at Mid West has nice tailgates in all respects. Jeep Panels Plus has functional tailgates, however if correctness in the stamping of the gate, etc. matters to you, then you need to look elsewhere as theirs leaves a lot to be desired in that area.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Mac
PVT
PVT

Post by Mac »

Any chance on a photo? I have always wondered what one hit would look like....
1951 M37 w\w
Marcus in NC
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Re: Jeep Panels Plus products

Post by m-37Bruce »

Rich Johnson wrote:My M37 Comm truck was rear ended on the freeway last night. I need a new tail gate, right rear fender, right side bed, right tail light and bracket and rear cross memeber. The Pontiac Vibe that hit me is probably totaled.
My question is, Jeep panels plus makes a tail gate and rear cross member. That would really help me alot. Are they the same gage steel that the M37 OEM parts are? Are they straight and true or are they like the old Phillipines Jeep repro junk.

Got a quote that the bed side alone will take 20-30 hours to pound out but can defineately be repiared. Wait till the adjuster sees my truck and heres that!
Rich
Since you are on the left coast, go with John @ Midwest, save on the S&H. If you were near the East coast, I would use Sheldon @ JeePanelsplus.
BTW, Robi had a couple of repro tailgates a while back?

JMHO,[/img]
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Kurt Hirte
PFC
PFC

bed parts in SoCal

Post by Kurt Hirte »

I've got some good bed sides and some NOS rear fenders available in Costa Mesa. Wil ltalk price if you want to come and take a look. Kurt
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Glad to see you're back on line, Kurt!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Kurt Hirte
PFC
PFC

Post by Kurt Hirte »

Good to be back, thanks for the help Gary. Kurt