1955 m 37 cannadian build, lots of restoration pictures

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

paul
SGT
SGT

Post by paul »

today i painted the rear axle black out ligth white spot and frigged around trying to make a stencil for the front axle number with tape , but it did not work so i got the local sticker shop to make me a stencil, and voila my marking where that easy to paint,

here are the pics

paint i used, flat white
both axle togheter
close up of the markings

paul
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

The markings on the axle as well as the diff cover painted white is that a Canadian thing? What was the reason?
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
paul
SGT
SGT

Post by paul »

the rear axle white was for the black out ligth under the truck that shined rigth at the rear of the axle, the number on the front axle seem to be production date or something i dont know, those are he number that where found there when i stripped the paint
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

The diff painted white made the truck easier to follow during a convoy with black-out lights on. The coloured diff couldn't be seen by enemy scouts from the air, but was visibly by convoy drivers at ground level. Keeps followers from getting lost I suppose...
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Nice Job

Post by m-37Bruce »

Wow Paul, You been a busy boy!
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
paul
SGT
SGT

Post by paul »

well today i frigged around on my buddy's truck so i only had little time for the project , but i did get the rear bumpstop and two new leaf hand sandblasted and primed,

i got myself a new paint gun , it is much better then the other one, the old one had a 2.0 tip and was wasting way too much paint, the new one has a 1.4 tip and is much better and makes a lot less overspray

here is the only pic of the day ,enjoy!
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Which gun did you get?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
paul
SGT
SGT

Post by paul »

the cheap 49.99 gravity feed princess auto has! it doesnt spray as wide but the paint economy is worth the time
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Tractor Supply

Post by m-37Bruce »

My newest gun was of the same caliber, thirty something, works just fine.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
paul
SGT
SGT

Post by paul »

well today i got one side of the rear leaf togheter and installed on the frame , i got both bump stop on the rear of the frame, and i almost finished painting the other side of the rear leaf pack, i also ceaned up a bunch of bolts and nut ...lol . lots of work that look like nothing, but i tell you , i am happy that some stuff is making its way back on the frame!

here are the pics of the day, enjoy!

the first leaf pack hanged!
leaf and more harware painted , i will have to apint the other side tomorow
more painted parts!
more painted leafs
leaf all sanded ready for primer
bumpstop installed
new leaf hand installed, this is a brand new old stock!
and the passenger side leaf waiting for the rest of the pack
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

HOLY SMOKES!!! :shock:
paul
SGT
SGT

Re: 1955 m 37 cannadian build, lots of restoration pictures

Post by paul »

well today i had some pretty help from my girlfriend, aint she something! she stripped the front bumper in order to try and find some marking , we found some black some white and some yellow but nothing conclusive!, i also got the rear leaf all done and i have started to put the rear axle togheter , i spended about 4 and a half hour cleaning ,painting and chasing the tread on the hardware for the rear end so put it at 30 buck and hour my hardware is now worth 135 buck of labor plus material, could you imagine paying someone to do this kind of work!

any how here are the pics of the day enjoy!

my girlfriend working on the front bumper
unidentified marking
rear axle back in place
and the way i left it when i was done tonigth
oh! and my buddy randy took a picture of me working! he said he rarely saw it!
paul
SGT
SGT

Post by paul »

well today i did some work on the front bumper, i got it a lot straigther then it was, it had a meeting with a tree, so it is now strait i still have to get some dent and ding out of it and get the rest of the paint out , i also found one spot where it was looking like a bullet impact point but then again it would have hed to be low velocity, and i later found the same kind of hole in alsmost the exact same location on the other side of the bumper so i dont know what it is ..... oh and saturday my girlfriend bougth me an early birth day present! you will see it in the first pic!

any how here are the pics of the day! enjoy!

the early present ! a nice gas tank 1964!
front bumper bracket off
bullet impact? what is it? i dont know
one side straightened the other still crooked
in the press to remove the kink in the bumper, i was pressing very slowly and very carefully, it was scarry!
and how i left it at the end of the day, half stripped and half dented lol
paul
SGT
SGT

Post by paul »

well today was a little more productive then yesterday, yesterday i spended the day fixing and old mercury boat engine to sell it and get more $$ for the m-37 project! i got the bumper straigthened and i got the body filler on it sanded, then i got the first coat of prime on it and now it is a game of more ligth sanding! i also got the driver side bearing and hub in place on the rear axle, but the bummer is i forgot the clip holding the seal so ill have to take it off and put the clip tomorow, i oppened up one of the thin can that came with the truck thinking it was a whell bearing but it was something else i dont know where it goes but i will find out at some point, i put 2 picture of the bearing in the thin can to show how they use to store the spare bearing back in the day , it is pretty neat, it looks like a meat can...lol

anyhow here are the pics of the day , enjoy!

thin can and bearing
bumper straigth and ready for body filler
and after shot with the first layer of primer on
the hub i got togheter only to notice i forgot the clip holding the seal in place!
and the 2 clean rear shaft!
paul
SGT
SGT

Post by paul »

well today started out good , i got most of the front bumper straigth and i fiddled with detail while the body filler/primer/finishing putty dried, up until the day turned shocking, geez i still have a little cramp in the arm, the compressor plug decided it was time to burn out, it took the end of my heavy gage extension cord with it, stupid me picked it up and got buzzed pretty good, lucky enuf i did not get harmed, but i did loose some time fixing the damage and some cash, i ended up almost finishing the bumper

any how here are the pics of the day , enjoy!

prep on the rear shock
i guess they are monroe!
this is where i was at with the bumper when the shocking part of the day occured!
the responsible for the shock!
fixed up the damage, it wasn't easy finding a socket to fit such a big extension!
and this is where i left the bumper for the week end , monday i should be able to paint it!