Sid Beck

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

rickv100
SGT
SGT

Sid Beck

Post by rickv100 »

They are reporting over on the Dodge Power Wagon forum that Sid Beck has stopped selling parts.

Rick

Posted by Paul ( in NY) [12.64.102.157] on Tuesday, February 23, 2010 at 15:58:12 :

I was chatting with Sid this afternoon. Sid ask me to post the following;

Due to health reasons, Sid will no longer be accepting orders and shipping parts. Sid is no longer able to climb up into the Box Cars to get parts.

Personally, I will miss dealing with Sid. Sid and I, as with probably anyone who has dealt with Sid, experienced a wonderful business relationship. Sid is a true Gentleman.

Paul
M-Thrax
SGT
SGT

Post by M-Thrax »

Sid has probably forgotton more about M-37's that any of us will ever hope to learn, I wish him well.
Last edited by M-Thrax on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Sid

Post by Nickathome »

I haven't had need to buy any parts in a long while, but back when I was in the middle of my restoration, I dealt alot with Sid. He is a huge reason my truck is on the road today. Sid is an honest and decent man to deal with, and I wish him well. I can only hope whomever takes over where Sid left off, can be half as good. Sid has some very large shoes to fill.
MikeOneSix
SSGT
SSGT

Post by MikeOneSix »

Hey guys!
Pardon my ignorance here, I've heard the name Sid Beck but don't think I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with him. Did he sell parts under his own name or was he a business owner (for example: Vermont commercial salvage)? I'm sorry I missed the opertunity to meet this fellow.

The companies I delt with when restoring my WCs and (my original) M37 were Red Bud Surplus out of flower mound,Tx (now gone-RIP), VPWs and primarially John at Midewest Military. There was another fellow out in Washington/Oragon area but I con't remember his name.

Matt
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
chris olson
PFC
PFC

Post by chris olson »

Is Sid the one where all the parts were showed on the old wood chair...
1952 M37cdn
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

Chris,
No, that is A.B. Linn, in North Carolina. Another great guy to deal with in my experience.
Tim
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Sid Beck

Post by Nickathome »

I do think Sid's business had a name, but most of us I think just knew him and referred to him by his name.
M-Thrax
SGT
SGT

Post by M-Thrax »

blank
Last edited by M-Thrax on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

MikeOneSix wrote:Hey guys!
Pardon my ignorance here, I've heard the name Sid Beck but don't think I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with him. Did he sell parts under his own name or was he a business owner (for example: Vermont commercial salvage)? I'm sorry I missed the opertunity to meet this fellow.

The companies I delt with when restoring my WCs and (my original) M37 were Red Bud Surplus out of flower mound,Tx (now gone-RIP), VPWs and primarially John at Midewest Military. There was another fellow out in Washington/Oragon area but I con't remember his name.

Matt
Dave Anwell, Red Bud Surplus, if my memory serves correctly, Sid bought that out when Dave died. I could have that wrong, been a while as in years ago now, but I believe that was the way it went.

Sid and Ace Surplus were household names around here, did much business with Sid over the years. He would always call when he got a hold of something new to let us know he had it available. He also called many times to check out correct rebuild procedures of various components M37 and Power Wagon. We've had many conversations concerning some build procedures he had thought of trying, and wanted a second opinion before jumping in. A fine fellow indeed was always my experience with Sid. Hate to see Ace gone, I'm sure someone else will buy out the stock though. I haven't heard from Sid in a while now, I had wondered if his health was failing, need to contact him. Just makes me realize all the more that we are all getting older, time goes on.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Sid Beck

Post by Nickathome »

If I may ask, how old is Sid? I never personally met the man, only dealt with him via email.
djester
PFC
PFC

Post by djester »

I think he told me he is 73.

Dave
M37
M151
'85 El Camino
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I met him in Portland in 2008-as fine a gentleman as you'd ever want to meet! His support of our hobby will be sorely missed.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
gwalker
CPL
CPL

Post by gwalker »

I met Sid back around 1980 when we were both in the DC area chapter of MVPA (MVCC then). He and 2 others there were already operating ACE, eventually it was just him. Later his job took him to texas where he resides today, after retiring he worked more on ACE and obtained a good stock of m-37 surplus includ. some rarer inventory. I last saw him at the portland MVPA conv.2008
68 M-715 MVPA# 2710
knattrass
SFC
SFC

Post by knattrass »

I had the surprise pleasure of meeting Sid at nationals in Indiana. Close your eyes when you speak to him, get a vision, open them up and there he is. Soft spoken and easy goin. Thanks for posting this, I will plan on calling him. Keith
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Sid was a great fellow to deal with and had fantastic prices. I will miss him and wish him all the best :)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".