e7T2 carb identification

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

jjefferson
CPL
CPL

e7T2 carb identification

Post by jjefferson »

Recently purchased a E7T2 rebuild kit for my carb and it turns out that the sandwich gaskets (2) and the needle/seat are wrong for this carb.

Speaking with the Carb guy (carburetor shop) he thinks that the E7T2 top plate might have been put on a different number carter carb bottom. Not too sure if I buy that one - but I will go along for a bit. Also makes me wonder about all the other parts I used from the kit.

The gaskets were an easy fix - just made some up, but the needle is something else - would have to send the original back to get the correct one - but can't be with out the plow truck this time of year - 5 to 7 inches of snow today falling as we speak.

Bit of a catch-22.

Anybody have any ideas on which bottom the E7T2 carb top plate would fit.

The Carburator Shop was helpful in trying to fix the problem - just can't send him my only working part in the winter. Be a whole different story in the middle of the summer.

I'm sending my old gaskets and the ones that don't fit so that should solve that problem - but I guess you can't backtrack via the gasket what the needle would be.

Any thoughts? I also posted this on the PWA forum as well.

Thanks and stay warm.

Jim
M-Thrax
SGT
SGT

Post by M-Thrax »

blank
Last edited by M-Thrax on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Just My Thoughts

Post by m-37Bruce »

I was thinking the same think Bill?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

The E7T2 is a civilian PW carb.

http://t137.com/ClintDixon/carburetors.htm

1953-60 B-4-PW, C-1-PW,
C-3-PW, C-4-PW,
K-6-W300, L-6-W300M,
M-6-W300M,
P-6-WM300
1317 258 E7T2 "Round Top" with divorced fuel filter and sandwich type governor From Engine:
T137-33844v

Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
jjefferson
CPL
CPL

Post by jjefferson »

Yes it is a different carburetor, although it looks at like the ETW1 just without the governor on the side. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow.

Anyways had it all back up and running today did a little plowing – started to backfire thru the carb. So I started to look for an intake leak, and adjust the idle mix. In the process decided to clean up some of the bits and pieces.

The old military fuel pump was sort of half cut out of the system so I plugged the vacuum lines to that and the old fuel ports.

And all of a sudden the old girl will not start. Just tries to turn over, almost catches, and eventually floods with fuel.

Almost get it going and lots of sparks from the port side of things. Turns out the wire from the starter to the voltage regulator is rotten and shorting out on the frame.

No problem says I, that’s why I have another M37 – parts parts and more parts. Parts did not fit - difference in 100 amp vs 25 amp charging system plugs on the regulator. Made up a new cable with some old #6 boat battery wire and also cleaned up some of the other bits and pieces of random wire.

Also tried to ger her going with my ETW1 carb from the other M37 – no luck. Figured that was my ringer.

So now its 945pm and the bleeping thing just will not go. Intake continues to flood with gas etc etc etc joy joy joy. My little two hour project in the “mancave” as it has been dubbed has now turned into 8 hours and I was up early this morning for a 330am run to the airport, and oh yes its snowing, and the truck is half in and half out of the barn. More gossip for the town folk to talk about, esp since the girlfriend is away for two weeks.

So now its time to sit back and drink some beer and wait for tomorrow.

On the more productive side of things, I decoded the engine serial number and it turns out be a 1957 Gateway L flathead from a Plymouth maybe an old Belvedere or Savoy?
This all explains the 24 volt starter and charging, and the 12 volt distributor and coil, and also the E7T2 carburetor. See how I finally got back to the E7T2 carb thing from the first line.

More tomorrow…..not even going to mention how many 10-32 carb throttle linkage nuts I have lost today in the snow….or how many times the wrenches have slipped and ended up on the bottom of the radiator shroud……or……the beer I spilled thinking it would sit still on the front fender…….that’s covered in snow……

The beauty of all this is that I still love it, and would not trade it for a thing – unless it was a truck that started of course….

Jim
Last edited by jjefferson on Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jjefferson
CPL
CPL

Post by jjefferson »

Thanks for the photo Cuz - you just saved me trying to figure out how to post the exact same picture from Clints website - the world is looking up.

Jim
M-Thrax
SGT
SGT

Post by M-Thrax »

blank
Last edited by M-Thrax on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
jjefferson
CPL
CPL

Post by jjefferson »

Looks like a carbon copy except for that extra linkage.

Jim
mikkelborg
PVT
PVT

Post by mikkelborg »

Jim,

How severe is the flooding and how long does it take to occur? If it only takes a few moments it could be the fuel pressure is too high and is blowing past the needle valve or the needle valve is stuck open with some crud from the fuel line, I have had both happen.

It sounds like you have an electric fuel pump? If that is the case you could just switch it on without cranking the engine and let it pump for a few minutes, then check the manifold, if it is flooded your problem is either fuel pressure of a malfunctioning needle valve, if it not flooded your problem lies in the carburator itself, the intake manifold or possibly the ignition system.

I hope this helps
Collin
jjefferson
CPL
CPL

Post by jjefferson »

Hey Collin-
Yes at times the flooding was pretty bad - I would fill the little cup in my little vacuum sucker when I used to clear the intake. At some point I'll rebuild the old mechanical pump and put it back on.

Part of the problem is the overall condition of the systems. It basically all needs to be redone. I have discovered that if I work on one thing, the thing next to that I bumped shorts our or falls off. The ignition side of things was pretty questionable.

In any event I have finally gotten the truck to run and it was quite a comical operation.

Here is a brief summary of the comical operation – I swear I could star in my own sitcom – maybe I should be looking into the Tonite Show spot.

As you recall the truck was parked half in and half out of the barn so I could blow exhaust out the back and not kill myself. I was simly going to check on the timing and maybe adjust the carb. Little did I know.....

Spent all day Tuesday trying to get the truck started - even swapped out the ETW1 from the other Dodge - nothing. Just flooding the engine.

So after spending half the day trying to get the truck going I realize that I need to clear the driveway – there is 7 inches of wet snow on the ground - not a problem I’ll use the snowblower.

This is when I realize that the snowblower is stuck in the barn on the wrong side of the truck.

No prob – I’ll use the other dodge to winch the plow truck forward.

But wait I just took the batteries out to test them on the “dead” truck.

Put the batteries in – nothing. What the heck.

Now I am getting mad – it’s dark and cold under the barn and I am getting frustrated.

I get the come-a-long – but wait the plow blade is down.

Jack up the blade with the jack – hook up the chains and start pulling the truck into the barn.

All is going well when the truck stops moving, and its getting hard to pump on the come-a-long and I hear the groan of old rusty hinges.

Yup just pulled the truck with the hood up into the beams on the overhead.

Now I can’t move the truck backwards, nothing to winch to and with the chains on I can’t push it by myself. I try using a prybar – no luck.

Get out the airgun and take the hood off.

Finally get the truck pulled ahead enough to squeak the snowblower out.

Snowblow the drive and everything else.

Head to town to pick up new coil, plug wires, points, etc.
Pick up the parts – but an hour round trip. Being all trusting I don’t check out the parts on the counter – although I do confirm the distributor cap is correct.

Get home start putting the parts on – ahh- wrong plug wires and coil.

Head back to down to swap out wrong wires and wrong coil.

Late last night putting points on distributor and zing the little point screw goes flying into the crushed stone floor and there was no new one in the points box – sweep the floor with a magnet - no luck.
Decide to call it a night although, I do make up some new plug wires. How could I mess that up – oh that’s easy - just keep forgetting to put the boots on the wires – that’s why they give you spare little crip terminals.

Just before falling asleep get the good idea of stealing the screw from the points on my dead 1970 Jeep pickup.

New day – Today

Beautiful day out – white snow and sunny –its going to be a good day.
Get the points on, condenser, new plug wires, new coil etc. Fight with that little condenser flat wire (civilian distributor for 1957 Plymouth). I left the distributor in the engine for fear that if I pull it out it won’t go back in – not sure on how the oil pump (if it is the right one) lined up. And do not want to open yet another can of worms.

Get it all together, put the carb back on.

Press the pedal.. and Vroom she fires right up only there is the little pop pop noise.

Ahha forgot to put the little plug back on the #6 cylinder. Where the little dowel that was sticking out the hole is -I have no idea – might have been sent into orbit or its now really small toothpicks inside the engine.

The end result she runs, and she has a whole new ignition side of things , and all the fluilds have been changed and topped up, and the leaky plow hoses have been fixed, but more importantly the driveway and the road around the barn is plowed. The order of the universe has been restored. I’ll deal with the timing and everything else after the plowing season.

Just have to teach myself not to mess with anything. I have a difficlut time not trying to make things better and to quote Charles "if better is possible, good is just not enough." Right now if the truck runs I am not going to touch it..... I think...

Of course now she doesn’t always go into gear–and that is a story for another day………

Jim
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

:lol: It sounds like "Murphy" has taken up permanent residence in your barn! Now that we all know where he is, we can get to work on our own projects. All we ask is that you keep him there!

Seriously, though, I'm glad you're up and running again. :)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
jjefferson
CPL
CPL

Post by jjefferson »

Yup - some days it feels like I am beating my head into the wall, again, and again, and again.

Telling the owner of the general store in town my story and he just laughed. His reply was that he spent 4 hours trying to start his tractor only to get it started and then notice under all the snow that he had a flat tire.

I've got the barn door shut, so Murphy is pretty much locked up. I will let you know when I let him out.

On the ships I use a similar line for Murphy. I call it a "Sally F*ck F*ck" as in Sally has come to town. And of course there is the phrase - "ah looks like 3 monkeys F'in a football" whenever I see more then 3 crewmembers standing around chatting doing nothing.

Just checked on the truck and she fires right up. Yeah that’s what I like.

Stay away Murphy, perhaps some sort of sacrifice is in order.

Jim
mikkelborg
PVT
PVT

Post by mikkelborg »

Wow, that's quite a bit of lousy luck! I'm glad you got it running again. Mechanical work seems to go that way for some reason, days, weeks, or even months, of banging your head on the wall until something either works or breaks.

Collin
jjefferson
CPL
CPL

Post by jjefferson »

On the flip side the trucks problems were one of reasons why the previous owner got rid of it. OF course he also replaced the M37 plow truck with an old land cruiser that has windows, heat, door handles and seats - four things this one is missing.

Overall not that bad a deal- the truck needed all the ignition parts - I had just planned to do it when it was a bit warmer out - say 60 degrees warmer. And it always tough to work under the barn were there is very litttle room to work - always jumping over the rototiller, picnic table, 2 cords of wood etc etc - but better then doing the same job outside in the snow.

For a 150 dollars in parts she runs and starts a whole let better- not a bad deal.

Jim
mikkelborg
PVT
PVT

Post by mikkelborg »

Not a bad deal at all. I've got a pretty good idea how it goes, my dad and I have bought three non-runners on faith that we could get them going, including my truck. Ussusally it's just a matter of a full servicing, sometimes it isn't, but then again, I am crazy enough to really enjoy beating my head on the wall troubleshooting this kind of stuff...

Collin