antenna mount

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

TOM R
SSGT
SSGT

antenna mount

Post by TOM R »

is there more then 1 antenna mount for the m37?
1945 t24/m29 weasel
1946 cj2a ww2 style
1954 m37
mvpa 31698
nra lifer
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

My goodness, yes! The antenna must suit the radio. Each has its own mount, and the M37 bed is designed to accommodate all (or nearly all) of them. Communications has always been paramount to mission success, so technological improvements have always been implemented as quickly as possible. Depending on the war era, location, and mission of your truck, it could have had one of any number of radios installed in it. If you want to install a radio, pick one suitable to the era/mission you want to represent, get the right antenna for it, and then locate the appropriate antenna mount.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
TOM R
SSGT
SSGT

Post by TOM R »

ok korea, we have a ww2 style ceramic base and the mount on the front of the bed drivers side what else is there pics help
1945 t24/m29 weasel
1946 cj2a ww2 style
1954 m37
mvpa 31698
nra lifer
M-Thrax
SGT
SGT

Post by M-Thrax »

The ceramic base would probably be AB-15 which was used in the 1950's-? heres a link to a site that has bases http://www.columbiaelectronics.com/id215.htm
The base mount was a triangle shaped and was usually mounted in the frt drivers side of the bed where there is a small 1" knockout in the bed side panel ( there should be KO's in all 4 corners of the bed).
Last edited by M-Thrax on Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

I can't help you with that info, but there are several guys on the forum who can. I'll let them field this one. :)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Antenna mount.

Post by Nickathome »

I would like to know though why is there not holes in the bed side to mount the triangular antenna mount? I bought the mount to install and then noticed my bed side does not have four holes to mount it to. Rather than drill I simply left the mount off the truck for the time being.
M-Thrax
SGT
SGT

Post by M-Thrax »

I believe there were no predrilled mount holes because ther were no set area on the bed to put the mounts. As mentioned earlier post there is a knockout for the cable in each corner of the bed to put the mount and I'll also assume there are different type mounts so pre drilling each area/corner for a certin type mount might be a waste of time but there could be other reasons
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

M-Thrax wrote:I believe there were no predrilled mount holes because ther were no set area on the bed to put the mounts. As mentioned earlier post there is a knockout for the cable in each corner of the bed to put the mount and I'll also assume there are different type mounts so pre drilling each area/corner for a certin type mount might be a waste of time but there could be other reasons
There should also be knockouts for the bolt holes around the ones for the cable holes. If a truck has never had a radio installed, the knockouts will still be in place and can be easily knocked out with a drift and a hammer.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
M-Thrax
SGT
SGT

Post by M-Thrax »

No
I don't think there are knockouts for the mount itself, just the KO's for the cable
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Knockout holes

Post by Nickathome »

There are no knockout holes forthe mounting bolts.
TOM R
SSGT
SSGT

Post by TOM R »

LIKE I ASKED, ANYONE GOT PICS OF MOUNTS ? besides the big triangle 1 that goes on the front drivers side of the bed? :D ignore the caps
1945 t24/m29 weasel
1946 cj2a ww2 style
1954 m37
mvpa 31698
nra lifer
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

PIC's

Post by m-37Bruce »

Hey Tom,
Hows it going, did you git them fenders mounted yet? As far as coping a peek at antennae mounts have you looked at the gallery(old Big Electric gallery) pics, bot the old & the new "Pics" section, bound to be a couple o' few good shots, as I recall Jackson Raymonds (sp) rig had near everything possible mounted on/in it?
Good Luck & Merry Happy,
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
TOM R
SSGT
SSGT

Post by TOM R »

bruce got the pass side mounted, repaired the drivers just need to mount it, what pics are you talkin bout?
1945 t24/m29 weasel
1946 cj2a ww2 style
1954 m37
mvpa 31698
nra lifer
gwalker
CPL
CPL

Post by gwalker »

The type of antenna is dependent on the radio set, if you are only wanting an antenna for looks it wont matter. the location of radio equip. on the truck is detailed in radio installation manauls, see the 'tech manual' link on the top of the page to see a partial list of radio installation manuals. you can probably find some of them on e-bay or from various surplus military radio dealers such as barans or fair radio sales. even portrayl press
http://webs.lanset.com/Jackson/Dodge-M- ... es/13.html here is the newer styl radio ant (sugar scoop) used on radios introduced in the late 60's which are still used today some. the triangular type mentioned here by others (ab-15) is the type used on the radio family which was introduced in 1950 and replaced starting in the late 60's, since m-37's stayed in service till the 70's either family of radio's would have been used
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

These Are Big E Fotos

Post by m-37Bruce »

TOM R wrote:bruce got the pass side mounted, repaired the drivers just need to mount it, what pics are you talkin bout?
http://www.g741.org/gallery1.html

Well the link works, the info is still there, but the fotos/thumbnails are gone/missing? MM, did you make off w/em? <LOL> No worries
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA