Carb Question

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

cuz
1SG
1SG

Carb Question

Post by cuz »

The 54 M37 I bought had the lines removed from the carb. So I started hunting for the inlet fitting and needle. Later I found my parts in the cab on the floor. I happened to have another 54 parked right next to mine at the time and when I checked his installation I noted his inlet fitting was one size smaller than mine. So I started to cruise through my friends parts wharehouse and found two more B&B Carters with the same smaller inlet fitting. Anyone know why the different size inlet fittings?

Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
knattrass
SFC
SFC

Post by knattrass »

Cuz - the carb housing is soft as butter and is easily stripped if you blink when tightening the gas line. I would suspect that the stripped ones were drilled/tapped up to the next size and a corresponding plus size put in. We attempted to heli-coil ours when it stripped and had good success. Just my thoughts. Keith
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

I can accept the oversize due to stripping theory but I am still curious if theres a Carter bowl already that size from Carter for a specific application. I am still interested in finding out which Carter carb used the larger needle seat retainer I now have and it's part number.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.