Radio Installation

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

m-11
SGT
SGT

Radio Installation

Post by m-11 »

Since it appears that my truck may have had a radio installed, because of the antenna mounting holes found on the bed. My question is where would the radio be mounted in the truck? Also which radio?
obxron
PVT
PVT

Post by obxron »

How about someone posting a picture of a M37 with radio equipment. A retired Army guy told me that all the trucks would have had radios. Same guy said that some radios were mounted on the troop seat behind the driver.

1954 M37
1968 M101A1
1969 M35A2
MVPA member
Rusty S.
PFC
PFC

Post by Rusty S. »

Here is a cluttered shot of the radio in my Brother-in Law`s M42. I think it is an RT68 with a PP109 Power supply. The power cable hooks into a socket in the bed front, just out of view. There is a support bracket there behind the lantern box...

Rusty S.
obxron
PVT
PVT

Post by obxron »

Thanks Rusty S, that answers some of my radio questions hope that helps M-11
m-11
SGT
SGT

Post by m-11 »

Thanks Rusty! So is the radio mounted to the troop seat or just sitting on it?
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

I believe that the radio is mounted to the troop seat. I think the instillation is similar to what they did later on in the M715. You can check out the M715zone.com because they have had a few images and even the manual I think is over there for download.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
Rusty S.
PFC
PFC

Post by Rusty S. »

Right. The radio mount bolts to the seat. Then the radio and the power supply slide/drop into the mount. My Brother in Law`s truck has more holes on the bench making us think that it had a few radios in there. My M42 rig has new wood but it has a airial mount on the bed and the power supplu plug in the front of the bed...
Rusty S.
m-11
SGT
SGT

Post by m-11 »

Okay thanks! I'll check the bench seats to see if I can find any holes.
DAP
SSGT
SSGT

Are there pictures of M42 table

Post by DAP »

Looking at the pciture above I am wondering if anyone has drawings of the table used as part of the M42 command version of the M37. I would like to make my own.
gwalker
CPL
CPL

Post by gwalker »

The type and number of radio sets would be entierly dependent on the requirements of the unit assigned the vehicle. Radio installation kits would be used to install a radio set in the vehicle, it would include detailed instructions w/ drawings and all the parts needed to install the set. Generally the first radio set goes on the troop seat at the left front(behind the driver) the 2nd set on the left rear troop seat, a third would be right front troop seat and a fourth would be on the right rear troop seat position. A vehicle w more than a single radio would also likley require the 100 amp charging system to be installed to supply enough power. Each type of radio set uses a paticular mount which would be secured to the troop seat also a t shaped bracket in bolted under the seat to sturdy it. Most good radio (mil surplus) dealers can help you with what you will need, the installation kits are about impossible to find though, but most of the needed parts are avial here an there.
68 M-715 MVPA# 2710
Rusty S.
PFC
PFC

Post by Rusty S. »

Very good information. One should keep in mind that the M42 trucks were phased out about the same time the 100 amp setup was being installed on M37s as per the TM update. They did use M37s with multiple radio setups requiring the higher amp setup but for some reason some people equate the 100 amp system on a truck as being a remanent of a M42 set up.

The map table in the photo is a repro made by a dealer some years back. I made my own as I was able to find the same hardware at the local TrueValue store. Mine looks exactly the same except I used drilled two holes in the upper tube instead of a long slot for adjusting the legnth of the legs. I drilled out for the wingnuts in two places so I can still use the table on the back of the truck like in the TM photos. The legs just do not have the sliding up and down funtion like the original table but two fixed positions instead. It was about $250 cheaper than the repro when when finished. I also made mine a couple inches smaller on each side at the original size table top is pretty big and makes entering the truck a challenge.

I will dig mine out of my M42 parts pile and take some pictures of it. Look for a post with photos later on...
Rusty S.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I don't care for the lack of security with the bench-mounted set so I opted for the PRC-77 pack radio which can be carried in and out of the M as needed. I know, not "correct" for those who are going for 100-point show quality but I'd rather not lug the big AN-VRC 524 radio back and forth, and worry about who might carry it off.
Just my 2 cents,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Rusty S.
PFC
PFC

Post by Rusty S. »

Do you mean that the radio would walk off at a show or from where you store the vehicle? This setup is pretty heavy as you noted and sneaking off with one would be quite an endevor. Interesting point.
Rusty S.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Both-apartment dweller am I, and you know how some folks think things are so neat they haul them away to show to all their friends....
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

This is a link to a thread from January 08 on the subject of M37 radio setups I had bookmarked.
viewtopic.php?t=289&highlight=radios
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.