Found an Interesting item

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

M376X6
PVT
PVT

Found an Interesting item

Post by M376X6 »

For years I have kept in both of my M37s tool compartments two different sizes of jacks (bottle) as one is small enough to get at a safe point under the axle to lift but won't lift the axle high enough to get the tire off and of course a full tire. Now with taller tires the problem is especially noticeable. I believe I have found a solution that is relatively inexpensive and will save on the number of items I have to carry. Check it out and let me know what you think. I have only been able to find them here at a reasonable price.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... =200318931

Regards,
Bryan Sage
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Jack..

Post by Nickathome »

For the price it wouldn't hurt to buy a couple of those and keep one in the garage. That jack would fit nicely under the seat or in the tool compartment.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Double-ram jacks have been around for a very long time. I haven't seen them available for a long time, but I haven't been looking for one, either. I think it might be just the thing for you. I may have to start looking for a new one, myself!
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Price isn't so reasonable after all....

Post by Nickathome »

The shipping price to my area Pa is $17. 20. So coupled with the $29.99 price tag thats almost $50.00 for a 6 ton jack. Wal-Mart has a twelve ton single ram bottle for $34.99 without the shipping, and its raised height is close to that of the dual ram. Strictly from a cost savings standpoint I think one would be better off with the one from Wal-Mart. I may try the local Pep Boys as well to see what theirs run before I buy.
M376X6
PVT
PVT

Re: Price isn't so reasonable after all....

Post by M376X6 »

Nickathome wrote:The shipping price to my area Pa is $17. 20. So coupled with the $29.99 price tag thats almost $50.00 for a 6 ton jack. Wal-Mart has a twelve ton single ram bottle for $34.99 without the shipping, and its raised height is close to that of the dual ram. Strictly from a cost savings standpoint I think one would be better off with the one from Wal-Mart. I may try the local Pep Boys as well to see what theirs run before I buy.
You're right, you can buy them a lot cheaper, and some will go almost as high as the double ram, but my point was that when I have had a flat the six or even four ton models were too high when completely compressed to get under the axle, so I have had to carry two jacks. One being a small two ton to get under the axle to lift it enough to get either a four or six ton under it. If you're looking for cheap, you might have a Harbor Freight in your area you can buy directly from, they are even cheaper. Before you run out thinking you have a cat by the tail, you could try measuring the distance from the bottom of your axle housing where you'd place the jack and the bottom of your rim, add an inch because a flat will sometimes not not let the rim go all the way to the ground. Sometimes it will. See if your jack is short enough compressed to fit in that distance so you don't think you're doing great and end up digging a hole to get your new jack under the axle or trying to figure out how to get enough distance between the axle and the pavement. Then, if you have enough distance with a flat and your new jack, see if your final height of the completely extended new jack will let you get a spare on when it's at pressure or have to start digging another hole for the tire. Waiting till you've got a flat, four wheeling or hunting with snow or lots of mud on the ground is not the time to discover your wonderful new cheap jack by itself isn't going to get the job done. I've been there a few times.

Lifer is right, these type of jacks have been around for a long time. They usually start at around $150 and go up from there in price, a lot of money just to let it get banged around in a tool compartment in case you should ever need it.

Another note, the site shows a jack (actually two ton) with a screw extension at the top, the description says N/A, the six ton models do not have a screw extension. Only the two and four ton models have one.

Regards,
Bryan Sage
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Re: Price isn't so reasonable after all....

Post by Nickathome »

M376X6 wrote:
Nickathome wrote:The shipping price to my area Pa is $17. 20. So coupled with the $29.99 price tag thats almost $50.00 for a 6 ton jack. Wal-Mart has a twelve ton single ram bottle for $34.99 without the shipping, and its raised height is close to that of the dual ram. Strictly from a cost savings standpoint I think one would be better off with the one from Wal-Mart. I may try the local Pep Boys as well to see what theirs run before I buy.
You're right, you can buy them a lot cheaper, and some will go almost as high as the double ram, but my point was that when I have had a flat the six or even four ton models were too high when completely compressed to get under the axle, so I have had to carry two jacks. One being a small two ton to get under the axle to lift it enough to get either a four or six ton under it. If you're looking for cheap, you might have a Harbor Freight in your area you can buy directly from, they are even cheaper. Before you run out thinking you have a cat by the tail, you could try measuring the distance from the bottom of your axle housing where you'd place the jack and the bottom of your rim, add an inch because a flat will sometimes not not let the rim go all the way to the ground. Sometimes it will. See if your jack is short enough compressed to fit in that distance so you don't think you're doing great and end up digging a hole to get your new jack under the axle or trying to figure out how to get enough distance between the axle and the pavement. Then, if you have enough distance with a flat and your new jack, see if your final height of the completely extended new jack will let you get a spare on when it's at pressure or have to start digging another hole for the tire. Waiting till you've got a flat, four wheeling or hunting with snow or lots of mud on the ground is not the time to discover your wonderful new cheap jack by itself isn't going to get the job done. I've been there a few times.

Lifer is right, these type of jacks have been around for a long time. They usually start at around $150 and go up from there in price, a lot of money just to let it get banged around in a tool compartment in case you should ever need it.

Another note, the site shows a jack (actually two ton) with a screw extension at the top, the description says N/A, the six ton models do not have a screw extension. Only the two and four ton models have one.

Regards,
Bryan Sage
I must concede that you do bring up a good point regarding a flat and the height of the bottle. I did not consider that when I posted earlier. I was merely pointing out the actual savings between the two.

BTW - I checked out the harbor frieght site, they do not have any two staged double ram jacks.
M376X6
PVT
PVT

Not H Freight

Post by M376X6 »

No, Harbor doesn't have any two stage jacks. I checked there as well before I bought from Northern. I meant that Harbor does have really low prices on regular botlle jacks like your thinking about. I hope I didn't sound lke I was busting your jaws. I was actually trying to give some advice that everyone might use when they go to buy a jack to carry around in the truck. I hope I didn't sound like I was trying to brow beat you. You're probably like me in that cheap has its place and time for me as well. I have a rain check for three bottle jacks from Harbor Freight right now for 9.99 on 10 ton jacks. I have no idea what the hell I'll do with them. Maybe they won't get cranky if I just don't pick them up. This was before I ran across the two stage jacks. I use a long frame jack for the shop along with two of those small cheap 2 ton floor jacks that are low enough to get under compact cars. Have a Merry Christmas Nick.

Regards,
Bryan Sage
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Jacks.

Post by Nickathome »

M376X6;

Don't sweat it man, I took no offense to what you wrote. I was hoping you hadn't of me. I wasn't criticizing your choice in jacks, merely pointing out a cost difference. After I read what you wrote, I went out to the garage and took a measurement per what you said. I can see perfectly now how the longer bottle could be a problem should I get a flat, especially if it happened on pavement. I could place the bottle further inward to compensate but do not like to do that. I'd rather place the jack as close to the wheel as possible.

You have described me to a "T" in that Cheap has its place. I normally prefer middle to upper echelon especially when speaking of tools, however when its for something that might or does only get used sparingly, such as small car jacks, then cheap gets me by. I almost bought another 2 ton floor jack from Wally World yesterday even though I already have one, but for $14.88 it was almost to good to pass on. The one I have now only cost like $20.00 and I've been using it for about 8 years, along with my 3 1/2 ton large floor jack. Also, the 12 ton at WM after tax would only be like $10.00 less than the one from Northern anyway, so no real savings.

Again, no sweat man, and to you a Merry Christmas as well.