paint source

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

refit1701
1SG
1SG

paint source

Post by refit1701 »

I'm looking for Gilespie Strata Blue paint...I can't seem to find a correct link to someone who sells it.

I finally decided to return mine to its AF colors.
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

AJP

Post by m-37Bruce »

Have you contacted these guys yet?
A while back, Cabell had several cases of Stratas/Stratus Blue that he couldn't even give away?

http://www.armyjeepparts.com/

Good Luck,
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: paint source

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

refit1701 wrote:I'm looking for Gilespie Strata Blue paint...I can't seem to find a correct link to someone who sells it.

I finally decided to return mine to its AF colors.
The nearest Gillespie source to you is RAPCO, Bowie, TX., www.rapcoparts.com less freight from them to you, but haz-mat fees still apply. If you would prefer local sources, NAPA has it available in Martin-Senour brand, the urethane does a beautiful job & is a far more durable finish than Gillespie enamel. Since you pick up locally, no freight or haz-mat fees will apply. We also use a lot of BASF, Limco 123 urethane. A local dealer for BASF is likely not far away either, they have better pricing on a equally good or better product than NAPA. They have a formula listing to mix any government spec color.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

Would I be able to spray that Martin-Senour in my garage? One of my main worries about the AF color is trying to get a good enough gloss finish without spending $$$ on a pro paint job.

Army jeep parts didn't have it listed....so I didn't realize they had any. If I can get it locally...that might be better.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

refit1701 wrote:Would I be able to spray that Martin-Senour in my garage? One of my main worries about the AF color is trying to get a good enough gloss finish without spending $$$ on a pro paint job.

Army jeep parts didn't have it listed....so I didn't realize they had any. If I can get it locally...that might be better.
You should end up with a semi-gloss finish, actually. During my 30 years in the AF, we never waxed our vehicles. "Wash and rinse only" was the rule. Not a problem at the motor pool wash rack, but recruiters were given specific instructions not to utilize the wax feature at their local car washes.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

refit1701 wrote:Would I be able to spray that Martin-Senour in my garage? One of my main worries about the AF color is trying to get a good enough gloss finish without spending $$$ on a pro paint job.

Urethane paint is much higher quality thus more costly than plain old industrial enamel which is what Gillespie is, so expect to pay more. My personal opinion is that I would rather have $$$ invested in a good quality finish that tied up in UPS & haz-mat fees. The gloss or no gloss is totally a personal decision on your part. The activator that is mixed with urethane paint greatly enhances gloss, so if gloss is your desire, you won't beat urethane. The vast majority of our customers spec high gloss, so it is the desire of most folks that we work for. Urethane paints actually form a XXXXXX consistency as it cures giving a much more durable finish than enamels that just simply lay down flat with no cross hatching involved. My point here is the urethanes actually bond together very aggressively where oil based enamels do not. As far as your method of application, spraying any paint in your garage will be the worst mess to clean up you could ever imagine, there will be nothing at all that isn't blue when you get finished. I would certainly recommend a different approach that in your garage. You do need a controlled environment to get a good spray job no matter what type paint you choose, I'll say if it were me in your situation, I would slow down & get a plan of action in place in order to get a successful nice job in the end, even if it took having it professionally done at a local reputable shop. The preparation is 99% of a nice paint job, DON"T EVEN THINK ABOUT CUTTING CORNERS ON PREP WORK, you will be much happier in the end. Back to paint cost, industrial enamels will fade in a few years & before long the job starts to look very undesirable because of it, if you are keeping it garaged away from sunlight, of course it will look nice far longer. Urethanes are much more UV resistant & will stand up to more harsh outdoor conditions way longer with a still nice gloss. Another plus with a smooth high gloss finish, you can wax it to greatly enhance the finish protection getting many more years of service. The flat or semi-gloss finishes do not accept wax well if at all because of the finish texture, so the finish just has to fend for itself without protection. Good luck on your job.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
CGarbee
SGT
SGT

Post by CGarbee »

Charles is dead on with his post about painting...

That said, Mark at RAPCO does have Strata Blue in stock. If you purchase three cases or more (get your budies to purchase some paint...) he'll put it on a pallet and ship by truck, avoiding the Hazmat fees... He will mix and match colors so you don't all have to get blue... :)

Meanwhile, if you do want to get it mixed locally use the following name, color number, and federal standard to help the folks find the listing/color formula in thier mix computer:
The full-gloss USAF blue is known as STRATA BLUE, 15045 (Federal Standard 595B).
The semi-gloss USAF blue is known as STRATA BLUE, 25045 (Federal Standard 595B).

Good luck.
'53 USMC M37 w/Cummins 4BT
'64 XM708,
'51 M38
'73 M817, '71 XM813, '70 M816, '84 M931
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell
http://www.eastcoastconvoy.com
http://www.gravesmountaintrailrides.com
CGarbee
SGT
SGT

Re: AJP

Post by CGarbee »

m-37Bruce wrote: A while back, Cabell had several cases of Stratas/Stratus Blue that he couldn't even give away?

Good Luck,
I'm currently out of stock of the milspec Strata Blue (sold it all to John Winslow in Halifax, NC...).

Got plently of Forest Green (USMC), Haze Gray (Navy), and "International Orange (bright orange used for flightline vehicles).
'53 USMC M37 w/Cummins 4BT
'64 XM708,
'51 M38
'73 M817, '71 XM813, '70 M816, '84 M931
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell
http://www.eastcoastconvoy.com
http://www.gravesmountaintrailrides.com