My 1951 M37 build thread....

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

chicklin
PFC
PFC

Post by chicklin »

A couple new pics, pre-painting. Got the winch mounted and cable spooled, attached headlights and guards, attached soft-top hardware, replaced wood for bed racks, installed pintle hitch.

chicklin
PFC
PFC

Post by chicklin »

Well, got it painted today. Still need to touch some things up and thicken it up in places, but I'm very pleased. Also installed the canvas top.

Ray@uglytruckling
PVT
PVT

Disc brake availability for M37

Post by Ray@uglytruckling »

I have plenty of disc brake sets available for the M37 in Medford, Oregon. I have trained a machinist in Georgia to do the hub conversion. $530 is the cost per set plus shipping and includes the cost of converting the hubs. Rotors are about $30 each and calipers $60 each from your local parts store. The original brakes if restored properly will cost about half as much as the discs but will not stop the truck safely, so they are pretty much a waste of time and money. Also the military style tread while good off road has very little traction on pavement. Brakes do not stop a truck they only stop the wheels from turning. The coefficient of friction between the tire and the pavement is what stops the truck.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Truck's looking good. Keep us posted.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
chicklin
PFC
PFC

Post by chicklin »

Here it is with another coat of paint and the decals. Not too bad, especially if you stand back about 10-15 feet :)

Played with the brakes today and went through the whole major/minor adjustment process in the TM. They are a little better, but still not great. I think I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that this is as good as is going to get without spending big bucks. That's okay, I feel pretty safe up to about 35mph, which is fine with me. Maybe disc brakes down the road. Drove it around town a little today, it was nice to finally get it out. Lots of looks and comments.