Electric Winch

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

tstephenson
PVT
PVT

Electric Winch

Post by tstephenson »

I recently bought a Military24 volt 7000lb winch to install on my m37, just could not aford a PTO system right now. Were any M37 equiped with an electric winch normaly, if so was there a switch in the cab or on the winch?
Tim
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

" Were any M37 equiped with an electric winch normaly, if so was there a switch in the cab or on the winch?"

No M37s were elec. winch equipped from the Dodge factory.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
tstephenson
PVT
PVT

Thanks

Post by tstephenson »

Thanks Carter for the info. Do you think the thing will work? My experence with electric winches has not been very good, drain the system quick. Have you ever used one of these 7000lb military winches?
Tim
monkeymissile
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Electric Winch

Post by monkeymissile »

tstephenson wrote:I recently bought a Military24 volt 7000lb winch to install on my m37, just could not aford a PTO system right now. Were any M37 equiped with an electric winch normaly, if so was there a switch in the cab or on the winch?
Tim,
where did you get your winch? I am looking for a 24v model. Thanks.

Justin
1953 Dodge M43

Fail often to succeed sooner
tstephenson
PVT
PVT

24 volt winch

Post by tstephenson »

I won it on Ebay. I will get you the sellers info and you can contact them to see if they have anymore, standby
Tim
tstephenson
PVT
PVT

24 volt winch

Post by tstephenson »

Justiin, try calling Gail at 562-692-0061, They are the folks I bought mine from and they deal in M37 stuff on ebay, hope it helps they were a bit slow figuring out how to ship the thing to me, only problem
Tim
Tim
monkeymissile
SSGT
SSGT

Re: 24 volt winch

Post by monkeymissile »

tstephenson wrote:Justiin, try calling Gail at 562-692-0061, They are the folks I bought mine from and they deal in M37 stuff on ebay, hope it helps they were a bit slow figuring out how to ship the thing to me, only problem
Tim
Tim,
thanks, I'll contact them. Appreciate the help.

Justin
1953 Dodge M43

Fail often to succeed sooner
Juan
SGT
SGT

Re: Thanks

Post by Juan »

tstephenson wrote:Thanks Carter for the info. Do you think the thing will work? My experence with electric winches has not been very good, drain the system quick. Have you ever used one of these 7000lb military winches?
Get a pair of bigger batteries, so they have more reserve.
The generator is rated at 25 amps or something close to that, no very good to recharging fast drained batteries but It may work.
I'm looking for a 12000 24v myself .
Juan Castro
Buenos Aires
Argentina
Carter
1SG
1SG

Re: Thanks

Post by Carter »

tstephenson wrote:Thanks Carter for the info. Do you think the thing will work? My experence with electric winches has not been very good, drain the system quick. Have you ever used one of these 7000lb military winches?
I have no experience with elec. winches at all but the current draw on the batteries and orig. 25A generator will over tax the system and will cause premature failure.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
N1VSM
SSGT
SSGT

Electric winching

Post by N1VSM »

Heres my 2 cents: others with more experience can chime in.

I'm assuming ;) that you understand that an electric winch can't come close to a PTO. Will it work? SURE! But...

Even with a serious (100A) charging system, your generator/alternator can't keep up with serious winching - your power will come from your batteries. Electrics can pull some serous current, especially the higher rated one. Check the continuous and peak current draw of *your* winch - you will want to supply at *least* 150% of the peak draw to keep from killing your batteries.

But there is a way around it. Use deep-cycle batteries. They are large, but won't end up as paperweights after winching. Use at least 4 (6 if you've got the cash) batteries. The 2 batteries you have now are wired in series (+ of one to - of other). What you need to do is wire pairs of batteries in series, then wire the *pairs* in parallel (+ of one pair to + of other pair - same with -). This will multiply the current you can draw.

For example, if you wire up 6 batteries that can each safely supply 400A continuous, you would theoretically be able to draw 1200A. (Reality rears it's ugly head - you'll never actually get such a high current, but it will be way more than just 2 batteries.)

The drawbacks are that this takes up some serious space, and that any oopsie will result in some instant welding, and then an insurance claim on your truck having burnt to the ground. Insulation, cutoff switches and an appropriately sized circuit breaker are good things. The other minor issue is that if you ever put yourself in the circuit with the batteries, you're dead - period.
You can trust your mother, but you can't trust your ground.
tstephenson
PVT
PVT

thanks

Post by tstephenson »

Thanks Carter, sounds like good advise
Tim
tstephenson
PVT
PVT

thanks

Post by tstephenson »

great explanation and sugestions. I have a pace maker built in to my chest so I think I will just sell the winch and get a real one when I can aford it. Untill then I will just stay out of the mud. Thanks again you may have saved a life, or at least a pile of poo the world does not need anymore of that for sure. Serious thanks for the good advise
Tim
tstephenson
PVT
PVT

smoke and fire

Post by tstephenson »

Just thought of a related experence. Years ago I worked as a lineman for a telephone company, when a cable got wet in those days it was hard to find the wet spot to fix it, so me and a vet buddy came up with a great solution. Piled the whole back of our truck with bateries wired them up and would just clamp them to the wet cable and look down the line for the fire and smoke. Worked great untill one rainy day the cable was wet over a rail track and when we burned it down a passing train to a real job on the whole line. We explained it off as lighting strike, but caned our new test method. Thanks again for reminding me of the power of fire
Tim
N1VSM
SSGT
SSGT

Re: thanks

Post by N1VSM »

tstephenson wrote:great explanation and sugestions. I have a pace maker built in to my chest so I think I will just sell the winch and get a real one when I can aford it. Untill then I will just stay out of the mud. Thanks again you may have saved a life, or at least a pile of poo the world does not need anymore of that for sure. Serious thanks for the good advise
I wouldn't worry about the pace maker - you are actually better off with one if you get zapped. The current you'd get from a 24V bank is about twice what it would take to stop your heart (ok - actually send it into VF arrest). With a pacemaker, you'd get a quick restart. Those little buggers are quite resiliant, depending on the manufacturer. Contact the manufacturer rep. of your device & see what they say. You'll be surprised what sort of likin' they can take and keep on tick'n.

I'd worry more about the titanium plate holding my skull together, although it does make a nifty ground plane!
You can trust your mother, but you can't trust your ground.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Re: thanks

Post by Lifer »

N1VSM wrote: I'd worry more about the titanium plate holding my skull together, although it does make a nifty ground plane!
Are you suggesting that you could duct-tape a piece of wire on your head, go down to Area 51, and make contact with our friends from outer space? ;)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"