Winch question

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Winch question

Post by Wayne64 »

Today I had a chance to play with the winch. I hadn't even taken off the canvas cover but I did do the oil change. As soon as the cover came off I saw what looked like my fishing reel WHEN I WAS 8. My neighbor was home and helped me play out all the cable. I gave him an old pair of welding gloves and tried to wind in. No body home and I figured on a PIA wind up. My buddy pointed out that the drum seemed to be grabbing at times and he tried going past the clutch engaged stop and the drum turned. As we re-wound it I even took a wrap on a tree to pull the truck. I just did a search and found a link where Charles spelled out a problem for another member and spoke of the clutch fork set screw loosening. That might explain why going past engaged the dogs caught the drum. Comments welcome, and what part does the brake band play in the operation of the winch?
g741
PVT
PVT

Post by g741 »

Hello: The usual problem is indeed the set screw that sets the shifter fork to the shifter shaft. Usually the shaft will be wallowed out beyond recovery, unless you drill out your set screw hole and put in a bigger one. What happens is the dog clutch becomes hard to shift, it will not slide easily on the shaft, and you force the shift lever and wallow out the set screw. The proper fix requires removing the winch, removing the clutch housing, replacing the shifter shaft and getting the dog clutch sliding easily by hand. This is the "weak sister" in these winches. Sid
Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Wayne64 »

Thanks Sid, looks like a nice winter project. During the summer the only thing I might use the winch for is if some fool buries his car and boat trailer in the Bay on the launch ramp. I pulled one out last year with my Ranchero as I was the only guy around that carries a tow line at all times.