Heet, gas line antifreeze?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Heet, gas line antifreeze?

Post by Nickathome »

The thread about the marvel mystery oil prompted me to as this. Will the use of gas line antifreeze products such as Heet , cause harm to an M37's engine? I've used this stuff in my tank to keep water problems to a minimum. Just wondering if there are problems with its use that would preclude any benefits.
mattveeder
CPL
CPL

Post by mattveeder »

I would be suprised if there would be any harm done by this. There just doesnot seem to be any evidence that these additives are harmful. The 230 in your m37 only needs a minimum octane percentage to run. Even lower than 87. We know it wont cause lowering of octane. It has been my expirence with newer computerized engines that some of these older addetives can really hurt o2 sensors and such. I have heard stories of people puting all kinds of flamiable liquids through the engines of these trucks and never having problems. I would say that this would be cause the trucks were designed to run on fuel from where ever the military could find it. No matter where in the world the trucks were used.
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Heet

Post by Nickathome »

That is kind of my feelings as well, just thought I'd ask though. I used to run Heet and similar products through all my other vehicles in winter time and never had problems. .
DaveO
PFC
PFC

Post by DaveO »

I've used HEET at every fill-up during the winter months in coastal Alaska (cold and damp), and have never had a problem. I definitely have problems if I don't use it. We get pretty crappy gas up there, and without the alcohol my problems run the gamut from lack of power to frozen carbs. My separator is designed for diesel oil, and though it traps a lot of the water, it doesn't get it all.

Every time I go to the pump it's a bottle of HEET, a shot of lead additive, and fill 'er up with the spendy stuff. I don't think I could start a fire with the regular gas there.
Dave Ostlund
1941 WC9
1952 M37 W/W
1953 M38A1
M116
RTFB