Winch plug

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Winch plug

Post by Wayne64 »

46 degrees, light wind = do something on the truck. I want to test the winch but before I do anything I wish to change the oil to make sure it has oil. The drivers side fill plug looked real rusty and figured attack that one first. After I scraped out the loose rust there wasn't any purchase for the 1/2 drive, or anything else for that matter. I really hate to pull the winch apart, I know I can drill out the plug but is there any other tricks that are safer than drilling?
TOM R
SSGT
SSGT

Post by TOM R »

there has to be some sides left in the plug where you could tap something oversized in there, otherwise there is the chisel method
1945 t24/m29 weasel
1946 cj2a ww2 style
1954 m37
mvpa 31698
nra lifer
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I assume that's the female square center that's rounded out. If so, could you tack-weld a 1/2 drive extension to it and then crank it out? Also, somebody makes a internal square plug extractor-we used them at Valvoline. You might check with one of the fast-lube shops in your area, Wayne.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Wayne64 »

Tom, after I knocked out the rust there was nothing left to even know it was a square hole at one time. I looked around for my set of internal pipe extractors, no luck and probably the younger Son snagged them. I have a 8 point socket set so I'll follow Gary's welding idea and tack a piece of square stock onto the plug. Wont get to it till next week as we are pushing 50 mph winds and I will no doubt TIG it. Thanks Gents.
Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Wayne64 »

Update--- The wind dropped off today to about 20mph so I tacked the square stock in. used the MIG because of the wind and the combination of the PB-Blaster I soaked it with and probably the heat of welding helped, it backed right out. Next is an gear lube change with my trick lube and give it a try.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hey, well done Wayne (I don't know how I missed your last post-glad you got it done!)
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500