Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

m35gibson
PFC
PFC

economy, and your truck(projects

Post by m35gibson »

hello all,
im wondering if the current economic crunch is effecting any of you like it is me? this will be the first year, in 5 years i wont be able to make aberdeen :( money is to darn tight,i really feel it will be effecting the
shows, and hobby in general,,oh the pain, the pain,, :cry:

kevin
if it aint broke, fix it till it is.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hi Gibson,
Glad to read your post-yep, just took a 5% salary cut = can't make the MVPA Convoy in June, and am being frugal with my parts procurement. Sucks don't it? :cry:
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

I've slowed down purchases but luckily I have a stockpile of parts to get my 37 going. I haven't had a lot of time to work on it in the last 6 to 9 months so I have plenty of things to work on.

This year will be my second trip to Aberdeen. I probably won't have much cash for goodies but my and a couple of club members are carpooling up there just to go.
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
VROD02
PFC
PFC

Post by VROD02 »

It won't effect me until the "messiah's" tax increase's come somewhere in 2010. Bush was bad but this admin. is way off the chart. :roll: My work employee's 30-40 union roofers. Guess what they will be layed off with this" chicken in every pot" stimulus plan.
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Hey Gibson,
Good to hear from you.
Luckily the majority of big $$ work is done with my rig and now I just have to get little cosmetic things. I am in the labor intensive vs. cost phase now.
I supported most of my truck restoration/toy procurement through selling on eBay and scrap sales. No household funds are allowed on the truck. Thats the deal with the Mrs. :) Both the wife and I are fortunate enough to be diverse in our day jobs that so far some aspect is always still busy. Although I fear it is really going to get ugly soon. Barrack Hussein's Funny money will not fix our economy. :evil: I haven't had the urge to stock up on so much ammo since the Cold War :(
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
monkeymissile
SSGT
SSGT

Post by monkeymissile »

I'm selling stuff from my previous hobby to pay for this one. I also stockpiled parts last year so will have plenty to work on later.
1953 Dodge M43

Fail often to succeed sooner
Murf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Murf »

Heck, reassembling my truck is about the only thing I can afford to do ! Thank God I'm pretty much set with parts and paint. Only need a few small things and LOTS of labor. :mrgreen:
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Economy

Post by Nickathome »

Kevin;

How's it going. Glad to hear from you.

I've been lucky so far. The economy hasn't hit the branch of work I'm in, so for the foreseeable future I should be ok.

My truck is pretty close to where I want it, which might not be perfect to some, but for me its about as good as it will get. I don't need alot for it, just some odds and ends to keep me busy and keep the interest going. I do plan to be at Aberdeen again this year. don't know how much I'll have to spend, but I don't like to miss that show, and the one in Gilbert Pa.

Don't be a stranger.
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

http://news.webshots.com/photo/20291181 ... vhost=news

Hey Kevin, good to have you posting again. Sorry I won't see you at Aberdeen this year and from what I see listed as unsold spaces on the rally website, others who had previously attended will also not be able to make it. It's a sad state of affairs when the once great economy of the USA has fallen into recession/depression and ordinary folks like all of us are forced to ration our hard earned cash and not spend on things that once able to afford.
My hobby spending has lately been money that I get doing small side jobs like gunsmithing or renting myself out as a mechanic to friends who need auto work and not from household operating funds so some money does get spent on my trucks. The next large purchaces will be for the resto. of the truck I bought from my friend Ralph and that will only procede as cash becomes available and I don't think that will be any time soon unless the stimulus bill will fund historic M series restorations by retired bridge inspectors named Carter. :wink:

http://news.webshots.com/photo/22097056 ... 7451dhhmkq
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Gas prices...

Post by Nickathome »

So far, the only consolation is it seems fuel prices won't be what they were last year. Not that it will matter though. I don't expect the Aberdeen show to be as large this year.
xm708
SSGT
SSGT

economy

Post by xm708 »

The economy isn't pretty up here in Vt either. I just put my xm708 up for sale again just to pay off some stuff. We have laid off 6 people already and business is not too great so I am sure there are more to come. I am not starving yet and definately not without an m37 or two I actually have another xm708 parts truck that will stay for awhile and an m43 and two other parts trucks so this is just thinning out the herd.

ed
m35gibson
PFC
PFC

Post by m35gibson »

hey, nick, carter,,
yeah,, money has been really tight,, i was in the process of buying a cucv,
then hours got slashed at work, so that fell thru.im about at the point
where im ready to say screw the hobby. that was a big dissapointment for me,,but life goes on.
yell at ya all later.

kevin gibson
if it aint broke, fix it till it is.
monkeymissile
SSGT
SSGT

Re: economy

Post by monkeymissile »

xm708 wrote:The economy isn't pretty up here in Vt either. I just put my xm708 up for sale again just to pay off some stuff. We have laid off 6 people already and business is not too great so I am sure there are more to come. I am not starving yet and definately not without an m37 or two I actually have another xm708 parts truck that will stay for awhile and an m43 and two other parts trucks so this is just thinning out the herd.

ed
Ed,
I am still interested in those parts we talked about, just waiting for the funds to transfer from my overseas account.......
1953 Dodge M43

Fail often to succeed sooner
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Murf?

Post by m-37Bruce »

Murf wrote:Heck, reassembling my truck is about the only thing I can afford to do ! Thank God I'm pretty much set with parts and paint. Only need a few small things and LOTS of labor. :mrgreen:
Is that you Murf, Chesapeake Murf? Technically you should be a little farther along than me<LOL>!
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
pfrederi
CPL
CPL

Somebody must have money...

Post by pfrederi »

I thought about staying at the Mariott Courtyard next to the stadium this year. So yesterday I looked them up to see how high the room rates were...No rooms available Friday night....
Paul f