Lots of progress today!

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Lots of progress today!

Post by powerwagontim »

You need to choose your friends carefully!
I am a woodworker by trade, PowerwWagon and now M-37 tinkerer by choice. The one thing I need to learn is welding. However, I have a very good friend who is a superb welder, and best of all a horrible woodworker! We have a symbiotic relationship, he does all of my welding and I do all of his woodworking. It has worked well for about 12 years now.
He works 4 10 hour days, and has fridays off so we decided that today was the day to tackle the rust on the cab of the M37. We put in 7 hours each today, unfortunately he had a commitment and had to leave at 2:30. We made a major reconstruction of the passenger front corner , the passenger rocker panel and the passenger rear cab corner as well as assorted floor patches etc. Lots more to go, but a real good start. The drivers side isnt as bad, and now we know what we are working with so it should go well.
Feels really good to see the rust holes turn back into sound steel.
Tim
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Best of Both Worlds

Post by m-37Bruce »

Hopefully he lives close by too!
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

Don't you love it when you can see even the slightest bit of progress?

Well done! :D
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

This thread is worthless with out pics.... :)

No really I'd like to see some pic of what you did. My cab is a basket case and though I'm looking for a replacement in my pricerange I may need to make repairs and the ones you made seem to be a lot like mine. So some pics would be very cool.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

OK, here is a link to an album of pictures.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v246/ ... 52%20M-37/
Tim
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Doesn't it make you feel good? It nice to make progress. :)
I have a good buddy that is a carpenter. I am the mechanic. It works well. I don't touch the remodeling, he doesn't touch his vehicles :lol:
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Wayne64 »

Thanks for posting the link to the repairs. Who rolled and edged the rear cab repair patch? I have the same issue on the drivers side.
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

Hi Wayne,
Neil did that. I think a 5 gallon pail played into the radius. I was working on another piece when he did that so I am not sure how he did it. He brought a brake with him but I was suprised how smooth the radiused bend was. I hadnt really noticed how nice it had come out until today when I was taking the pictures. I will ask him next time he comes to play.
Tim
Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Wayne64 »

powerwagontim wrote:Hi Wayne,
Neil did that. I think a 5 gallon pail played into the radius. I was working on another piece when he did that so I am not sure how he did it. He brought a brake with him but I was suprised how smooth the radiused bend was. I hadnt really noticed how nice it had come out until today when I was taking the pictures. I will ask him next time he comes to play.
Tim
Tim, please ask as that piece looks like it was either a store bought repair piece or your bud has some real talent. I would have thought an English wheel and a bead/ flange roller would be needed for those results.
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

Hi Wayne,
It is talent. I was there when he did it, just doing something else, and unless he had the Ronco Pocket Flanger and English Wheel Combo in his pocket it was done caveman style.
Sometimes things look better in pictures than real life. I looked at the piece again today and it is as nice as the picture shows.
I did a bunch more work on it today, and decided to go all the way and pulled the body tub off and set it on horses. Now the paint job will be all over, not just what shows. I feel a lot better this way. I hate doing work that is half way.
Tim
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Talent Fer Sure

Post by m-37Bruce »

It is talent. I was there when he did it, just doing something else, and unless he had the Ronco Pocket Flanger and English Wheel Combo in his pocket it was done caveman style.
Sometimes things look better in pictures than real life. I looked at the piece again today and it is as nice as the picture shows.
I did a bunch more work on it today, and decided to go all the way and pulled the body tub off and set it on horses. Now the paint job will be all over, not just what shows. I feel a lot better this way. I hate doing work that is half way.
Tim

Good to have a friend like that.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
vtdeucedriver
SFC
SFC

Post by vtdeucedriver »

Tim
Tim, where did you get the truck????? Looks familiar.

Jeff..................across the way in Shelburne/ St.Albans
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

Hi Jeff,
I bought it up in Irasburg from a guy who specializes in Jeeps. He bought several Jeeps from someone and had to buy the M37 to get the Jeeps. He then sold off the M37. I know nothing about it other than it was an Air Force truck.
Tim
vtdeucedriver
SFC
SFC

Post by vtdeucedriver »

powerwagontim wrote:Hi Jeff,
I bought it up in Irasburg from a guy who specializes in Jeeps. He bought several Jeeps from someone and had to buy the M37 to get the Jeeps. He then sold off the M37. I know nothing about it other than it was an Air Force truck.
Tim
OK, dont know that truck but that guy is selling his parts on ebay. He had a M151 rim on there but it was too far for me to get and not worth paying the shipping either.

Do you plan on restoring it to a M37 ( as finding a M37 bed???) Nice job sofar. I commend your work as with most guys (including me) would have found another truck.

Any you vermonters gone to see the one that has been on Ebay and Craigslist like 6 times. Its on craigslist again!!!
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

Hi Jeff,
I had not seen the craigslist truck before. Dosent look too bad in the picture. My plans on my truck keep evolving. It started out to be a woods truck, to get up into the woods behind my house to get firewood. Now the rot repair is coming out so well I am thinking to make it a nice driver, not a show truck but just a good solid driver. I will keep it the Strata Blue that it was born in.
Your post says "Shel;burne / St. Albans" Which one are you in? I am in Monkton, and in Shelburne several times a week on average. I would like to see your truck sometime. You are also welcome to stop by and see my herd, but it is mostly Power Wagons and one orphaned M37.
Tim