CCKW Window Retrofit

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

topellis
CPL
CPL

CCKW Window Retrofit

Post by topellis »

I have a CCKW hard top that I found that needed a good bit of work because it had considerable corrosion at the rear seam and where the adapter pieces go on the sides. It came off of a M37 so I know that there is no problem with fit... As far as the rust, I am doing the easy route for me and am just fiberglassing the damaged areas after removing as much rust as possible. So far I think it is going to come out ok and the work I have done won't be very noticeable once it is painted. My real question is... has anyone changed from the oval window to something more along the lines as the artic top retangular one? I want the hard top just to know I have a somewhat more sound top, won't leak and is a bit more air tight in the cold than the canvas top. I did the cost justification.. for me and I got the hard top for fifty bucks and a new canvas top is many times more than that, (and wears out) so to go back with canvas just didn't make sense to me. I just would like the option of a sliding window in back that wouldn't be too hard or too costly to install and pretty much looks "military".

Just fishing for ideas.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark Ellis
1953 M37 WOW
1967 M101A1
NRA Life Member
USMC Retired
anthony manzella
SSGT
SSGT

Rear Silder Window

Post by anthony manzella »

Did not put mine in it had came that way it's Great check some shots in my pics in photo gally not the best but it will give you a start , dont have the M home by me but will try and get some pics from the inside looks kind of simple to do , I no it's the best in the summer sure dont need air condition with all windows open :wink:
Hit Duh Ground Runnin
topellis
CPL
CPL

Post by topellis »

I will check it out. I just think that it would be good to be able to open it when you want to. Here in GA in the summer I usually have the side windows open, the windshields open a bit and the window section of the canvas rolled up and it is still a little warm. I thought possibly with some small channel or z stock I could possibly make something fairly similar to the Artic top. Just don't have one to see exactly how it is made.

Thanks for any pics or info.

Mark
Mark Ellis
1953 M37 WOW
1967 M101A1
NRA Life Member
USMC Retired
Jim Branson
PFC
PFC

Post by Jim Branson »

Hey Mark, my 51 has the atric top. There are some pics in the gallery, or you can come see it at the MVPA show this weekend along with your old M201!

Jim
1951 M37 W/W
1961 M201B1 W/W
MVPA #31454
I was Chrysler when Chrysler wasn't cool!
topellis
CPL
CPL

Post by topellis »

Jim, I will check out your pics. I have not been real active here the last almost two years... which show are you talking about?? Where at? I am glad you saved the M201. I almost snatched the winch out from under it and sold it for scrap but I had hoped somone would take the time, money and effort to save it. The neighbors cat misses it... she had two litters in the front tool compartment..lol.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark Ellis
1953 M37 WOW
1967 M101A1
NRA Life Member
USMC Retired
Jim Branson
PFC
PFC

Post by Jim Branson »

Mark, this should get you the info on the show-http://www.flmvpa.org/2009rally.html-Don't bother to bring the cats, mud dobbers have already called the truck home!
1951 M37 W/W
1961 M201B1 W/W
MVPA #31454
I was Chrysler when Chrysler wasn't cool!
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Funny you mentioning cats: My M still has the tranny, clutch and flywheel out (daggone rain!). Anyway, I ambled over to the M the other day and a black cat has taken up refuge right on the driver's seat! Jumped up through the gaping floor opening. Scared the wee out of me, but not too bad-we have two of our own and they are the children we'll never have....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500