I really feel stupid, oil change

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

I really feel stupid, oil change

Post by Wayne64 »

I posted a while back about what type of wrench removes the drain plug. 1/2" square drive is what I was told and that made sense as other plugs on the M37 also use that size. My drain plug has eight notches which looked like the plug was stamped when made. I can't get the plug loose?? I tried a breaker bar, my hand help impact driver and lastly I reached for my 1/2" air ratchet set on low. All that happened was the extension didn't have a good hold and skipped around. What truly makes me feel dumb is that I have more tools than most shops, have built automatic trannys that could handle 800hp, built race engines and know my way around Ford 9" rears. What am I missing here? Or do I Tig weld a nut onto it for removal. Go easy on me as I'm questioning my skills :cry:
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: I really feel stupid, oil change

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Wayne64 wrote:I posted a while back about what type of wrench removes the drain plug. 1/2" square drive is what I was told and that made sense as other plugs on the M37 also use that size. My drain plug has eight notches which looked like the plug was stamped when made. I can't get the plug loose?? I tried a breaker bar, my hand help impact driver and lastly I reached for my 1/2" air ratchet set on low. All that happened was the extension didn't have a good hold and skipped around. What truly makes me feel dumb is that I have more tools than most shops, have built automatic trannys that could handle 800hp, built race engines and know my way around Ford 9" rears. What am I missing here? Or do I Tig weld a nut onto it for removal. Go easy on me as I'm questioning my skills :cry:
Well, sounds like you can handle it, what we do in stubborn cases is simply get creative however we can with what we have to work with.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Mine was as stubborn as yours, Wayne. I had to use a pipe wrench, which of course trashed the edges of the plug, but it came loose and I replaced the plug with a standard plug from VPW.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Wayne64 »

Cal_Gary wrote:Mine was as stubborn as yours, Wayne. I had to use a pipe wrench, which of course trashed the edges of the plug, but it came loose and I replaced the plug with a standard plug from VPW.
Gary
Thanks Gary, I'll look to buying another before I try to remove again.
Tim Powell
MSGT
MSGT

Question!

Post by Tim Powell »

Please explain "VPW"? Intrested minds (I use minds loosely) want to know! Thanks, Tim.
Tim & Lori Powell
1952 Dodge M-37
1968 M101A1 Cargo Trailer
2011 F350 Ford Flatbed
MC-A1 Air Compressor Unit
Military Tank APU

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil
is that good men do nothing."
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

"VPW" is Vintage Power Wagons, rougly 50 miles west of you in Fairfield. US 34 is a straight shot! :)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Tim Powell
MSGT
MSGT

VPW!

Post by Tim Powell »

DUH! Boy do I feel goofy! Fairfield will be handy as I report to work everyother week in Mt. Pleasant IA, half way between Burlington and Fairfield!! Cool!!
Tim & Lori Powell
1952 Dodge M-37
1968 M101A1 Cargo Trailer
2011 F350 Ford Flatbed
MC-A1 Air Compressor Unit
Military Tank APU

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil
is that good men do nothing."
N1VSM
SSGT
SSGT

Try a plumbing store

Post by N1VSM »

Cal_Gary wrote:... I replaced the plug with a standard plug from VPW.
Gary
I took my old one to a plumbing supply place (not a big box store, but one where they can get exactly what you need) and bought an exact replacement (and a spare). Much cheaper route, I think.
You can trust your mother, but you can't trust your ground.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I think the VPW plug was 8 bucks or so-you know the local parts places almost refuse to help unles you give them "year, make and model, please....?"
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500